Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been fighting myself over this, and would like to hear the opinion of other owners on this. I will collect my e2008 next week, and a gripe which has been with me since ordering it is the lack of spare wheel. At least here in Malta, tyre service centres look at you "badly" when faced with a wheel which was repaired with a kit. I was thinking about getting a space saver wheel and leave it in the boot, with the additional inconvenience it brings, and space which it would take up. Has anyone been faced with this situation? What's your opinion? Is it only here that such a solution (puncture repair kit) is disliked, or it's something everyone faces?

Someone told me that I'd have to get a new tyre everytime I use the kit to repair a puncture. Is it the case? Opinions seem conflicted the more I talk to people about this.

Thanks,
Stefan

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,510 Posts
In the UK many places dislike repairing a tyre that has 'gunk' in it as it creates quite a mess. Both my cars do not have spare wheels, one has space for one so I bought a new wheel and tyre and second-hand jack kit which is now in the car instead of the kit. The other, which does not have space for a spare wheel, I bought this kit for.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've used Slime before, the kit I had came with a tyre pump which was plugged into the lighter socket.

Slime is supposed to be better because it can be cleaned with water.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
In the UK many places dislike repairing a tyre that has 'gunk' in it as it creates quite a mess. Both my cars do not have spare wheels, one has space for one so I bought a new wheel and tyre and second-hand jack kit which is now in the car instead of the kit. The other, which does not have space for a spare wheel, I bought this kit for.
I second the plug kit, I bought one after getting a puncture repaired on my Model S in about 5 minutes without the wheel even being removed.

Bought the kit and about 3 weeks later my wife’s 5 series had a puncture which I then plugged, it has been on the car for 2 years and about 5k miles since then without issue.

Essential equipment in my book.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I thought that was a myth about places not replacing if you have foam in?!

I guess the Q is, how often have you had a puncture?

i think I’ve had 3 punctures in my cars (actual punctures) since I started driving in 1993

I’ve also had a bent rim and a side wall that failed due to age

the missus has had 1 puncture since I’ve known here and one torn side wall when she scraped a curb with a metal drain channel sticking out - grrrrr

my dad has a Smart Fortwo with no spare and I bought him a space saver with a jack just to put in the boot behind the seat

should be able to get one easy for the pug - wheel PCD is v common and there is a fair amount of space under the boot floor

just remember that an unsecured load of that weight could cause issues in an accident

JJ

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Up seeing my family in Scotland, my niece has has a puncture requiring a tyre replacement 2 weeks ago and picked up a nail in another tyre today near the sidewall.

it’s a lease car which goes back beginning of September, punctures are like buses, none for ages then a couple come along at once... she is most annoyed that she will get no use out of a couple of new tyres on the car!

·
Registered
17,471 Posts
Also, you will always get a puncture on the newest, most expensive tyre you have.

Not the one that is due for replacement.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
On the Zoe I got a puncture
They said “as you only have 1mm left till the tread wear indicatorswe will replace the 2 front tyres”

it was summer

no thanks
I’ll get a few more months out of them

JJ

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008 GT-LINE
93 Posts
My current car eats tyres for fun VW Passat, can't wait for new one to arrive as all that shizzle is included so the maintenance people can deal with it and change as often as they feel necessary. How does everyone think the tyre wear is going on the electric I wondered with the extra weight if would run down quickly.

·
Registered
17,471 Posts
My current car eats tyres for fun VW Passat, can't wait for new one to arrive as all that shizzle is included so the maintenance people can deal with it and change as often as they feel necessary. How does everyone think the tyre wear is going on the electric I wondered with the extra weight if would run down quickly.
Tyres and brakes last as least twice as long as an equivalent car, even on a high powered Tesla.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008 GT-LINE
93 Posts
Tyres and brakes last as least twice as long as an equivalent car, even on a high powered Tesla.
I get the brakes lasting forever due to regen but expected tyres to wear quicker than Ice

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,510 Posts
Rear discs and pads on my Ampera needed to be changed for every MOT due to their lack of use and the surface rusting. This year, after using the brakes more, it was just an advisory of pitting but that will mean another new set of discs and pads for its next MOT for sure. Fortunately, they are straightforward and I can do them myself. Front tyres lasted over 60K and only had to be changed due to one developing a bulge and small chunks coming off the tread edge (known issue with Michelin Green Energy tyres of that age).

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008 GT-LINE
93 Posts
Think my tyres currently don't last 20k be fantastic to last 3x that, is everyone getting similar range on there's?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
You were running large rims. On my last Zoe they were still going strong at 26k.
but high torque and no clutch allows for all that Power to be put to the tarmac instantly and that’s what wears the tyres

Also the types of journeys - if you do a lot of motorway mileage then 50,000 miles is easy on 1 set of tyres

if you do 10,000 around town with accelerating, braking, roundabouts, left /right turns etc then they are gonna get trashed.

look at F1 tyres if a gp was a straight line then even the soft tyres would last 2 or 3 GPs

·
Registered
17,471 Posts
but high torque and no clutch allows for all that Power to be put to the tarmac instantly and that’s what wears the tyres

Also the types of journeys - if you do a lot of motorway mileage then 50,000 miles is easy on 1 set of tyres

if you do 10,000 around town with accelerating, braking, roundabouts, left /right turns etc then they are gonna get trashed.

look at F1 tyres if a gp was a straight line then even the soft tyres would last 2 or 3 GPs
Well clearly is says a lot about your driving style. :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts