Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

681 - 700 of 705 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Don't you just love it when it comes to Insurance Renewal time.

I got a good deal last year and that was without the Key Worker card being used.

So 12 months on, No Claims, and my renewal has gone up 20%.

I've seen regular comments recently, say insurance costs have dropped.

So this is how they reward good driving, by putting up our insurance?

Trust me I will be shopping around again, but it is a hassle.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just tried a brand new PodPoint 50kW fast charger at a Lidl near my wife's work. Again had problems.

Followed the PodPoint app instructons: Plug car in, Then activate/initiate the charge via the app. But got a PodPoint charger screen message: "Charging error. Communication problems. make sure car is turned off, then re-try"
Car was turned off. Anyway we unplugged and re-initiated the charge from the app, and it worked normally. Took on 18kWh of charge. 25p/kWh. Reasonably priced.

But then came the next issue. Pressed the "Stop Charging" screen icon on the Charger screen. But did not stop charging. Instead got a screen message on the charger to "use your phone to authenticate at this charger"
So when looking at the app again, there was a "Stop Charging" icon to press on the CCS charger choice. Pressed that and it stopped charging and we could unplug.
So not sure if this is a charge issue with the car but at least it worked in the end. Or were we just meant to use the app and not the charger screen icons ? (The app instructs you to use the screen icons on the charger and not the app itself though).

Next time we will just use the app to control the whole process I think. Was a bit fiddly holding the car keys and juggling between the charger screen and your phone screen!

Worth mentioning that the Peugeot drivers display stayed lit throughout the charge process, so you could watch the car taking on charge. As we started at 47% charge it was taking on charge at a rate of 212mph at the start, and then eventually throttled down to about 65mph above 76% SoC. Unplugged at 87% although rate of charge had gone up to 93mph by then.

When we had the demo car last year, the dashboard would turn off after a minute or two during a fast charge so you were not sure how well you were doing without getting out of the car and checking the charger, and at that point (opening the door), the dashboard screen would light up again anyway with all the info! So this is an improvement.

But only 2 fast charges, Instavolt, and now PodPoint and a little glitchy with initiating a charge with both. With Instavolt we had to call Customer services to Initiate and then Stop the charge! Because of lockdown all our charging has been at home on the Zappi or as Tesco 7kW free chargers without issue overall.
But now lockdown has finished we want to make sure our car can fast charge w/o issue on the 100kW+ chargers etc as we will hopefully travel further afield soon.

Car booked in next week to see if it is due any charge related software upgrade. And also to see if they can tell the car that a service is due in 3,900 miles time (eg-at the 8000mile mark) and not 900 miles (5000 miles) which is what the dashboard is telling us.. It was always indicating first service at 8000 miles but now seems to think the first inspection service is due at 5000 miles. Not sure why.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,527 Posts
Car booked in next week to see if it is due any charge related software upgrade. And also to see if they can tell the car that a service is due in 3,900 miles time (eg-at the 8000mile mark) and not 900 miles (5000 miles) which is what the dashboard is telling us.. It was always indicating first service at 8000 miles but now seems to think the first inspection service is due at 5000 miles. Not sure why.
Mine is asking for a service in 400 miles, even though I’ve only done 3,300 miles! Am I correct in saying that the first service is due at 1 year or 8,000 miles?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Mine is asking for a service in 400 miles, even though I’ve only done 3,300 miles! Am I correct in saying that the first service is due at 1 year or 8,000 miles?
Yes. Should be 8000 miles. 1st/Inspection service. Your car seems similarly affected like ours. How old or new is it?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
@208's Plenty - it’s always the bloody same with insurance. Loyalty is never rewarded. New customers always get discounts to draw them in and hope they just keep paying the premium.

shop around and use Quidco to get cash back

Aviva are offering £70 cash back at the moment for a new policy, LV £40, admiral £50, more than £50.

these cashback deals normally take off 25% of my annual cost.

they also have a compare tool for the companies that feature on compare systems

JJ

·
Registered
456 Posts
Oops, I haven't looked in here for a while.

I managed to get a very good quote from Saga, rang my insurer to cancel and they matched Saga plus some.

A price which is lower than last year.

Phew.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well, car went in for its software updates on Thursday and only got the car back yesterday (Friday) as our dealership ran in to issues. Car went in to get this “Mode 4 rapid charge” update to correct a fault with car connecting to public fast chargers like we had already experienced with both Instavolt and PodPoint. Our dealership had not heard about this issue or that it was a Technical Service Bulletin. We got the info from Facebook owners group. Second minor issue was recalibration of the Service Indicator to give the correct Service Required mileage as our car was saying service due in just 600 miles when it should be 3,600 miles or so.
Car dropped off as requested at 08.20 on Thursday. Service advisor told us since us booking there was now a “product improvement software update” showing on their computer but would not tell us what it pertained to but it could have been the TSB I suspect. We rang at 13.30 for a progress report. Car had not even been looked at yet but was “next” to be seen by the “Master Tech”... (So car was sat there for 5 hours doing nothing..)
They then called us later at 3.30 pm to say they were having problems with their computer which was crashing and they were having to re-boot it and it was unlikely that any progress would be made that day. They wanted to keep the car until tomorrow to try again. This scuppered our bank holiday plans as we were going to use car long distance for bank holiday weekend from Thursday evening. They said they would start on car first thing in morning.

Anyway collected car at 3.30pm Friday afternoon. ( we were promised car would be done by 2pm). Software updates apparently completed, but as they don’t have the 50kW+ chargers on site they could not test that. Which is fair enough. Delay at end as they explained after update, they had to unplug car for 20-30 mins. Then plug in to computer again to get confirmation/green light software update successful. Service indicator also re-set.
Noted on collection they had their 7kW chargers available but our car was parked around back not on charge. That would have been a nice courtesy.
As we were now very late for our get away we took the Pug home and took the i3 away instead. Pug Only had 50% charge. Plus if there were still going to be problems with public fast charging a busy bank holiday weekend was not the time to test it! Would have been ok if we got the car back the day before, as would had time to test it on those particular chargers as local to us. Will check rapid/fast charging next week. Only sign that anything has been done was that the ambient lighting was now back to green whereas my wife had it on pink! Still drives nicely so wife happy to have the car back. Will update you in the next few days.
Service Advisor informed us that if we were still having issues with public fast chargers after this update, to inform them, and then they would have to contact Peugeot HQ Technical team as there would not be anything more they could do at the dealership. Fingers crossed it does not come to that.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
@MarkyM

good update - thanks

I keep thinking about the times when I struggled to get the fast charger to work and when it did (it has even been in the same charger) and I feel like it’s the tiles when I’ve dawdled after getting out that’s been the contributing factor

I charged the car this weekend at a shell 50kw charger and I got out, plugged in, tapped my card and it started (car wasn’t locked or anything)

so I feel it may be something to do with how long the port remains active after the car stops.

all my other charging is on my home charger which is either timed (keeps the port active flashing blue) or is instant as it doesn’t need to communicate with the car and run connections tests

thoughts?

JJ

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well took the e-208 on a first proper long drive this past weekend. Only from Cardiff to Somerset. 104 mile drive. Took it steady.65mph on the motorway but plenty of 50mph restrictions and roadworks on the M5. Had 83 miles remaining! 4.5mi/kWh. Not bad! We took it easy as Somerset is not actually filled with rapid charger choices!
First went to a nearby Lidl (in Chard) that had a newly installed 50kW rapid(25p/kWh) but a Tesla driver had just connected up and would be at least 30 minutes. There was a Polar/BP Pulse 1 mile from there. Took the e-208 there. 1 old looking charger in front of a closed car garage/MOT centre. CCS cable covered in cobwebs.
Used our BP/Pulse RFID card on the touchpad: Attempt 1- "unable to validate card" Attempt2- Card validated but "car not connected" Attempt 3- Car connected but no initiation of charge. Attempt 4- Car charged! Whoopee!. Spent exactly 30 mins charging. Went from 43% to 87% charge. Had a further day trip in Somerset.

Then nearer home tried a BP/Pulse 175kW charger in Newport.Just for the hell of it as were near enough home not to need a charge but thought we would try a proper fast charger on the e-208. ID3 driver had just arrived (only 1 post out of the 2 was working) but she was unable to start a charge and left. We tried. No problems.Charged first time.Took a while to initiate though.Went from 44% to 70% in 13 minutes before unplugging.

The e-208 is a great motorway cruiser and fun car to drive. Now that the charging infrastructure is slowly but surely improving, will be more than happy to take this car on long journeys.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,092 Posts
It’s great for long journeys - did about 350 miles on Saturday and it was lovely. Drove about 1h20m between short charging stops of about 20 mins, and we found that to be really relaxing and breaking it into short chunks like that just made the journey fly by. Such a comfortable car on the motorway for the size - feels really grown up and like a much bigger car, but then can also be good fun on a B road. ACC would be nice at times, but other than that it’s great.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We have the GT which has ACC which works very well. We also went with the pano sunroof which makes the cabin more airy feeling. Agree it is even more fun in the twisties but surprisingly big car feeling on the motorway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
For those wanting the rapid charge update etc, last week (I think, maybe earlier) Peugeot launched a "campaign" against car VINs which means that if you call the dealer they should be able to identify straight away if the "rapid charge" update needs to be applied (the campaign I believe does it a it differently, it's not just a rapid charge update). Again, best info here is on the e208 FB group where user Andy Vaughan has coordinated contact with Peugeot about this. As this hasn't been discussed here, I thought I'd link it across.

Here's the text of the announcement on the FB group from here Facebook Groups :-
ANNOUNCEMENT - Campaign for Preventative Software Update
Today (27th May) a Campaign has been flagged up against a number of vehicles. This is a software update, similar to the Rapid Charge/Ambient Lighting Update, for a number of drive train related ECUs, to fix known issues to date that are currently covered by a number of separate Technical Service Bulletins. I have been informed unofficially that this is the same software versions as vehicles currently leaving the factory, and has been on production vehicles for a couple of months.
It is a Preventative Update which means that customers/owners will not be contacted pro-actively, but the update will be done when the vehicle is next in for service or repair.
I do not know the manufacturing cut off date for vehicles to be eligible for the update, but seems to be any vehicles more than a couple of months old.
I am also assuming that if you have had the Rapid Charge Update you will still require this update as it may well include later software versions, and maybe even other ECUs in scope as well.
The update is flagged against eligible VINs, so your local Service Centre will be able to tell you if your vehicle requires the update.
Expect it to be at least half a day, if not a full day. Traction battery above 30% charge, and take both keys when you drop the car off.
EDIT: I would like to think that we as a collective group have had a tiny bit of influence in getting this made a campaign - it is something I have been pushing for 6mths, especially with the issues with some dealerships even recognising that there were applicable updates. I know our collective experiences and feedback regarding the Rapid Charge update process have been monitored by powers that be at Stellantis. I think this has been many months in the planning and quality control - it could maybe have been done a little earlier, but then it might have had to be done twice as further fixes have been incorporated. Let's hope it is a case of if you are going to do something, do it once and do it properly.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
For those wanting the rapid charge update etc, last week (I think, maybe earlier) Peugeot launched a "campaign" against car VINs which means that if you call the dealer they should be able to identify straight away if the "rapid charge" update needs to be applied (the campaign I believe does it a it differently, it's not just a rapid charge update). Again, best info here is on the e208 FB group where user Andy Vaughan has coordinated contact with Peugeot about this. As this hasn't been discussed here, I thought I'd link it across.

Here's the text of the announcement on the FB group from here Facebook Groups :-

Thanks for the info :)

JJ

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had a trip down to the south coast from Cheshire last week. The E208 performed faultlessly and on occasions was delivering 4.5 miles per kWh on the motorway with the low speed of motorway traffic down on the M25. On my return I had to rapid charge on three occasions as was not able to charge the night before and had only 20% charge when I set off. On my third rapid charge of the day at Rugby services it was still pulling 95 kW so no rapidgating with this baby! Had it a year now and it meets all my needs. Very impressed at what an all round competent car this has turned out to be.

681 - 700 of 705 Posts