Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

e208 discussion

115K views 716 replies 50 participants last post by  Problemchild 
#1 · (Edited)
Made this topic as we seemed to hijack JJs e208 project topic for general discussion.

I will try to get some use full links to this post.

General:
Watch out for this when buying ex-demo / 69 reg e208GT

Reviews:
FullyCharged
DrivingElectric
Bjorn (live stream test)

Range Test:
Bjorn (56MPH and 75MPH)

Charging:
Fast Charge (100KW+)
Fast Charge (50kWh)

Tips and Tricks:
Dash Cam install guide by JJ
Solution for the large phone annoyance

Software:
- Latest software for GT as of 20/05/2020 - 42.01.72.32_nac-r0

Other:
Accessories Brochure

Please give me a shout if you want to see something in the links.

See less See more
#304 ·
Took 25 mins for me to install Map Updates on car but only selected 4 countries , 6Gb worth . The touchscreen update took about 10 mins I think.

PSA haven't said what improvements are but guess they are bug fixes rather than operational improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This post has been deleted
#307 ·
From starting the download of the software to the laptop (then USB transfer) to it finally installing both maps and touch screen update in the car...... i'd say 2 and a half hours total last night??

I was sat in the car almost an hour during the updates..... and that was only choosing the UK maps (the 16GB download is because it downloads the whole of Europe! Each country having its own file which you can choose to update or not)

You think it would be a better process to ask when you're on the computer which maps you want to download rather than pulling down ALL of Europe.

#308 ·
Found another gotcha this morning, so a warning for others.

Apple Carplay doesn't work over the USB-C connector. It only works over the older USB connection.
Looks like the USB-C connector is for charging only.

Maybe its in the manual somewhere...... but I've not read much of the manual. :LOL:

#309 ·
I cleaned both our cars on Tuesday, my wife's car has a full glass roof, with opening. So I tend to use a bit of pressure reaching across and cleaning it. I was rather stunned when I did this to the 208, that panel is very thin/flimsy. Must be to save weight and also takes me back to when I was driving it in the rain, the noise from the roof was quite loud.

I can live with it, anyone else noticed this? Wonder if it is the same on the ICE models?

#311 ·
Despite successfully installing the 19th June touch screen update shortly after getting the car (so mid-July I suspect), and having the peugeot app paired with the car properly (it syncs journeys and updates mileage properly, though I only got this working after the touchscreen update), the app is still showing the update as being needed (or at least available). Is there a way to clear this? Does anyone think it might be worth re-applying the firmware update just to try to get it cleared?

Also, does the GPS location of the car get stored automatically for anyone with the app? It seems a bit pointless having the feature in the app but then requiring a manual update whilst you're in (or close to) the car to get the app to record the car location properly.

On my first full week of communting this week, so hoping to go for 4 days without a recharge (42 miles daily, so would be leaving just about 10-20 left over if the range estimate and average usage of 4.0m/kWh are correct).

#312 ·
Maybe sign in and out of app to refresh it properly. Or you could delete app and re-install it . This may clear update message . I did update last week and message has cleared but I had other issues and re-installed app which may have helped clear the cache .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#314 ·
This app is trying my patience, I seem to uninstall and re install weekly.

Surely it should be better/more reliable than this.
i had that initially

it would never let me log back in and said my password or email address was wrong

I complained on the app and they said it would be rectified

it was - I still have to log in all the time thoigh

feel like changing my password to the number 1 for speed and trying to get a shorter email address me@me.com

used the pre conditioning this weekend a few times - takes a while and I feel likeyou need to keep the app open until it states its working - thoughts?

JJ

#315 ·
I've had zero problems logging in since using the app, the only real issue I've had is that one of the screen update not disappearing, and the question as to whether it is supposed to register the locaiton of the car rather than needing a manual input.

It's not the best app in the world, certainly. I flick between 4 icons and 3 icons at the top when it first loads (mostly 3), but preconditioning works fine (set to 4:50 daily before I commute home) and it reliably reports charge state etc. On reflection it doesn't notify me when charge is complete (though the alerts section implies it should), but other than that I'm mostly happy enough with it.

#318 ·
From another forum, the aircon had come up as a topic of discussion. I'd moaned a little that I didn't like the fact that "auto" mode didn't allow you to turn on or off any of the three vent modes (top, middle, bottom) as in every other car that I've had with "auto" aircon you still retained control over which vents were in use, even if other factors were automatically controlled. I prefer the air to circulate just up the windscreen rather than at my face / chest / hands. It was pointed out to me that the middle vents can be completely shut off - I'd assumed that wasn't possible as they could only go left / right / up / down, but discovered that a little extra push (to the right for the drivers side, and to the left for the pax side) gives a gentle click and the vents are completely closed and solve my problem. I'm sure everyone else had realised this already, but just posting in case some other idiot like me hadn't!!

#320 ·
I know the "range" figure has to be treated with a degree of caution and is supposed to "learn" a little, but does anyone have any insight into the parameters? e.g. what period of time does it "learn" over - is it just that drive, just the last x miles, the last x days? I'm on my first week of using the car to commute, which is a 21 mile trip each way, with approx 50% on motorway. Pleased in this heat to be averaging 4.2miles/KwH since Monday. My "range" at the end of the last full charge was 167 miles, and since then I've done 63 commuting miles, range today is showing as 118, so I should comfortably get my 4 commutes per charge in the warm weather at the very least.

When watching what the range indicator does, it seems to only move every once in a while - it doesn't gradually adjust 1 mile by 1 mile (either losing a mile as you drive a mile, or losing a mile as you drive more than or less than a mile depending on how accurate it is being) - which implies that it is only really looking at relatively recent data. But equally it doesn't drop to silly numbers when driving up a long incline either. I suppose this is where people are coming from when they want to see the %age battery as a display - providing that was trustworthy, at least you could see that (say) a commute cost 23% of the battery on a normal day and that it would continually drop bit by bit with every mile driven (unless you were driving down from an alpine pass where it might charge more than consume!)

#321 ·
Yeah it only updates the range in something like 10 mile increments until it drops to a certain level

as EV drivers we do seem to focus sooooo much on that number - obsessed in fact

Remember we just used to look at a needle and guess?

JJ

#322 ·
So, my target for this week was to drive economically and see if I could squeeze four commuting days out of the car. I initially pegged the journey at 21 miles each way, but it's coming out as just over 23, so that's 46/day, 184 for the week.

This morning (start of day 3) the car was reading 80 miles of range, but dial over 50% and trip computer reading 4.1miles/kWh for the 92 miles driven on days 1 and 2. So a clear contradiction.

I've arrived at work now with 116 miles driven, range is showing as 80 miles and trip computer sneaked up to 4.2 ( it clicked up to 4.2 on the very final stretch).

My take on this is that the range is very, very heavily dependent on the last couple of miles of driving. At home I've got about 1 mile of climb to about 100m above sea level, and I don't hit slow traffic until the final mile. At work I end up at about 20m above sea level with the final mile gradually down hill, preceded by the usual slow stop start congestion.

So when I'm at work I get a favourable range calc, when I'm at home it's unfavorable.

The trip computer should give me confidence that 4.1 * 47kWh = 192 miles range, but on day 4 I'd have a range at give showing as less than my daily commute. The question is for tonight - do I risk it in the spirit of investigation, and trust the trip computer. Or do I play it safe and plug in at home?

#329 ·
So, my target for this week was to drive economically and see if I could squeeze four commuting days out of the car. I initially pegged the journey at 21 miles each way, but it's coming out as just over 23, so that's 46/day, 184 for the week.

This morning (start of day 3) the car was reading 80 miles of range, but dial over 50% and trip computer reading 4.1miles/kWh for the 92 miles driven on days 1 and 2. So a clear contradiction.

I've arrived at work now with 116 miles driven, range is showing as 80 miles and trip computer sneaked up to 4.2 ( it clicked up to 4.2 on the very final stretch).

My take on this is that the range is very, very heavily dependent on the last couple of miles of driving. At home I've got about 1 mile of climb to about 100m above sea level, and I don't hit slow traffic until the final mile. At work I end up at about 20m above sea level with the final mile gradually down hill, preceded by the usual slow stop start congestion.

So when I'm at work I get a favourable range calc, when I'm at home it's unfavorable.

The trip computer should give me confidence that 4.1 * 47kWh = 192 miles range, but on day 4 I'd have a range at give showing as less than my daily commute. The question is for tonight - do I risk it in the spirit of investigation, and trust the trip computer. Or do I play it safe and plug in at home?
Go on be daring and go for it without the charge, there's defo a far few miles in reserve once at zero too to play with.

#323 ·
I think the GOM needs a fair bit of driving evidence behind it

my 2 trip comps show figures from new and the other shows from when I reset before my 180miler.

the 2nd one shows much higher average mpkwh

May/Jun time my range would show 160 but now it shows 190+

JJ

#325 ·
The thing is, why should I trust the the trip computer's reading of mpkWh any more than the GOM? I know how many miles I've gone, but that's all I really "know". I suppose if I treat it like a car and see how many kWh I can put into the part empty "tank" I can validate that though - assuming I trust the Chargemaster to report an accurate usage figure etc etc,

#326 ·
I thought the battery capacity was closer to 45kWh based on Bjorn's video?

I'd trust the mpkWh more than the GOM, it's a lot easier to read the actual power output, although bear in mind that cars will have a slight imperfection when measuring distance, I think the e-208 over reads by about 1%.

#327 ·
Maybe I'm over-egging the capacity a bit there - certainly worth being cautious at this point. 211m claimed brochure range over 45kWh implies 4.7mpkWh driving, mind you even at 47kWh capacity 4.5mpkWh would be needed to get to there which certainly for my pattern of weekly miles would be unachievable withut holding up the motorway with lots of 45-55 mph driving.

#332 ·
Hmm, not sure my better half would agree if I end up being 2 hours late home on Friday...

Just realised that the app shows %age battery, which I hadn't spotted before. So battery is showing as 40% after 62.5% of my commuting is complete. Irrespective of the range showing tonight when i get home, if that is over 25% then I should have confidence in a 4th commute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.