Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would be good to have a thread that consolidated the range everyone is achieving. Hopefully this could better inform any potential buyers out there.

I’ve done almost 700 miles in my 2008 GT most of it in sport mode, so here is my attempt at conservative driving; mix of A roads, local driving and motorways (50 miles at around 60-65 mph).

I’m getting around 205 miles @ 4.5 miles per KWh - not bad at all.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
e208 GT Line
July 2020 temps above 20degC
Air con set to auto at 19.5degC
Mostly motorway or dual carriageway
55-60mph in the wake of lorries
Mix of cruise and manual throttle

167 miles there (range shown between 55 and 80 miles) giving a total of between 222 and 247 miles - the lower being the most believable.

A little blast to show my dad the car and then charged on granny for 14hrs

have a range of 223 miles

setting off on the return leg, range dropped quite quickly but then steadied out but mpkwh dropped to 5.0 at times.

same 167 miles and again 55 remaining

so total mpkwh over the total miles is 5.1
x 47 useable kWh battery
= 239 miles

at the end of both journeys, range was dropping relative to distance so I have no worries that the car could do 220 but wouldn’t want to push it much further

JJ

·
Registered
DS3 Etense 2020
118 Posts
We’ve only done 160 miles is out DS3 and I’m getting about 3.6kwh on a roads and motorway. Think it is still to early to really know the proper kWh number as it is so new? Correct me if I am wrong. 👍

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,896 Posts
All very low average mph.

Reactions: Sandy

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I travelled all the way across the country on a motorway in 3.5 hours :)

55-60mpg is understood to be the best speed vs range balance no?

Oh and my pug has a higher top speed than my Zoe did ;)

and in response - well the Zoe is more efficient ;)

mot would be great to do 80mph and still get the range - but it doesn’t work like that and tbh motorways have slowed considerably in the last 6 years

JJ

·
Registered
DS3 Etense 2020
118 Posts
I was doing 76mph (cruise control) for a large proportion of an 80 mile round trip and was getting 3.6kwh which I think is very fair. Also any faster and I will get stopped by the police. So I do not think too slow. I guess it is like having an ICE car slower you go more mpg.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,964 Posts
but mainly motorway...
If you sit with the car on while stationary then this contributes to the average speed. So if you’re sat messing with the sat nav for 5 mins then it will impact the result.
Yeah so 5mins playing with satnav won't drop your average speed to 21mph if you were "mainly motorway..." unless you spent 3 hours stationary in a tailback on that motorway, or perhaps, just putting this out there, your motorway driving was lorry rear axle chasing. ;)

I expect to see low average speed if you use the car daily for a commute of a few miles and run the car for a week without charging. But for a single trip, 100+ miles from a full charge and a reset trip meter I'd be expecting 40+mph average if you were "mainly motorway..." ;)

Just so you know, this is what a day worth of motorway driving looked like in 2015 in my Zoe. I stopped over 10 times to charge, and car was parked for several hours in Manchester (as well a negotiating rush hour) before I drove back. A lot of time stopped and so a lot of time for the average speed to drop.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,964 Posts
That stopped time parked doesn’t come into play - nowhile charging as the car is parked.

JJ
If car is switched on while charging the average speed drops, or at least did in Zoe. So some of that time "parked" counted. For example, it was a very long drive, on way home I charged for 2 hours with car on and slept (button boosting heat when I stirred). It was minus 6 over night on that trip, 20+ during the day.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,896 Posts
I travelled all the way across the country on a motorway in 3.5 hours :)

55-60mpg is understood to be the best speed vs range balance no?

Oh and my pug has a higher top speed than my Zoe did ;)

and in response - well the Zoe is more efficient ;)

mot would be great to do 80mph and still get the range - but it doesn’t work like that and tbh motorways have slowed considerably in the last 6 years

JJ
I was referring to the others rather than your’s, as I was already aware of what your trip entailed as we’d already discussed it. But if I recall correctly, you did admit to HGV rear axle gating. Probably safer in a e-208 with ACC than in a Zoe ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts