Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To what top max speed does eco mode restrict the car?

Also, does eco mode entirely deactivate aircon or a lot or a little? What exactly?

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
167 Posts
As the Corsa-e and the e208 share alot of components, I'll tell you what I know from the Corsa-e:

AFAIK, Eco mode doesn't restrict max speed, just the rate of acceleration. If you put you foot down all the way, it should also bypass the power restriction, giving full power (100kw/134hp), for emergency like scenarios.

As to Aircon in Eco mode: from my experience, it totally disables heating. But cooling seems to continue to work as usual.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As the Corsa-e and the e208 share alot of components, I'll tell you what I know from the Corsa-e:

AFAIK, Eco mode doesn't restrict max speed, just the rate of acceleration. If you put you foot down all the way, it should also bypass the power restriction, giving full power (100kw/134hp), for emergency like scenarios.

As to Aircon in Eco mode: from my experience, it totally disables heating. But cooling seems to continue to work as usual.
Thank you kindly for your feedback. How very discriminatory of the eco mode to have that scitzo 'attitude' to the temperature control system(s). Good job it isn't human or I'd speak to it severely!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Having encountered my first Winter in the Pug, driving in Normal Mode was perfectly good enough. I get what Eco Mode does but use it very rarely now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

How are the spongy 'dead-feel-travel brakes' that I hear so many testers complain about? What's your own experience..?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS I suppose the range factor decreases by engaging Normal mode v Eco mode - by how much and on average what are you getting from what sort of driver useage?

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
439 Posts
Thanks.

How are the spongy 'dead-feel-travel brakes' that I hear so many testers complain about? What's your own experience..?
It's because some testers have no idea how to make use of proper regen capable brakes. If you're not used to the type of regen that the car provides, especially when you first try the car, you tend to be a bit heavy-footed and the difference between the regen braking and the actual, physical brakes taking over, can catch you out until you get used to it.

The regen on the PSA Group cars is set at a fixed rate. When using the regen braking, the brake lights don't come on because the deceleration is below the threshold G required by the current standards. Also, the first part of the travel of the brake pedal does not apply the mechanical brakes but uses regen.

Typically, a reviewer who hasn't driven the car for very long might tend to stab at the brakes and, especially when new, tend to snatch. Once you get used to the car, the regen braking is very smooth right down to a mile or two an hour.

So, apart from the first 5%-8% of battery use from fully charged where there is almost no regen available, there is very little need to use the mechanical brakes and you will find that your driving style tends to adapt to the regen. It also makes it very economical as you improve your efficiency and you will have to change your brake pads far less than you ever did with an ICE car.

You'll get used to the brakes in no time and I can assure you they are definitely not "dead-feel-travel brakes".

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very interesting and insightful. Thanks. I'm used to the regen braking scenario via the year-old Zoe I'm px-ing. I gently apply the brakes for the final few feet before coming to a stop and I have to say that the Renault's brakes are benchmark superb, 'biting' instantly, ie no 'dead travel' whatsoever and not the slightest suggestion of sponginess. It'll be very interesting to compare the Pug's 'behaviour' in this respect...

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
439 Posts
To what top max speed does eco mode restrict the car?

Also, does eco mode entirely deactivate aircon or a lot or a little? What exactly?
With regards to ECO mode, this is what the manual says about it:

To reduce energy consumption by reducing the performance of the heating and air conditioning, without deactivating them.
To further reduce the electrical energy consumption of the traction battery by limiting the engine torque.

There are some people who, for whatever reason, insist on driving around in winter in ECO mode whilst wearing a thick coat, hat and gloves, breath condensing on the windows and icicles hanging off their noses just to save 50p a day on their daily commute. At best, it probably adds about 5% to your range and is only really for scenarios where you are very unsure of reaching the next available charging point before running out of juice.

What you will notice is that there is no heat output and the performance is reduced, in that acceleration is noticeably reduced. That's about it.

If you want all the info on the e-208, you can read the manual here: https://public.servicebox.peugeot.c...uide_p21_ed01-20/pdfs/9999_9999_341_en-GB.pdf

Like the Corsa-e manual, it covers all variants of the model, ICE and Electric.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much indeed and what a wonderful way you have with words! I chuckled. I appreciate your input, especially the link to the manual, as a result of which I'll probably keep the car in permanent N mode as the Sport mode doesn't remotely interest me.​

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
439 Posts
The only time I’ve ever used Sport mode was when at the traffic lights and I was in the wrong lane and needed to get ahead of the car next to me so as not to get “trapped” where I didn’t want to be. Be careful though as it does increase the torque and in the wet will definitely give you wheel spin if you’re heavy footed.

If you use Sport mode, try not to be like these drivers:

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
604 Posts
I wouldn’t say the heating is that bad in Eco. I happily drive on long journeys in Eco with the thermostat set to 18 and the outside temp a couple of degrees.

I never quite understand whether AC should be switched on or off though - in cold, normal, or v hot times.

In fact I almost never drive in Normal. Just Sport or Eco.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts