Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up e208 on Friday, trying to work out how to set a maximum SoC when plugged in.
Regen doesn't work when SoC is greater than 95%, so want to set a maximum SoC to 90% when plugged in - app or onboard computer doesn't seem to have any settings for this....

Any ideas?

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,871 Posts
This seems to be a uniquely Tesla feature. Not heard of any other vehicles where you can set the charge limit lower then 100%.

As an alternative, could you set a charge timer on the vehicle or charge point? Calculate how long it’s needs to get to 90% and then set the timer accordingly. If you don’t need maximum range each day, probably won’t matter if it’s not too accurate a way of doing things. 80 to 90% would suffice.

Or , don’t charge every day. Wait until you need more range the following day than the car has. Then charge to 100%. That way at least you’ll only have the issue a couple of times a week.

Reactions: bigmike88

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This seems to be a uniquely Tesla feature. Not heard of any other vehicles where you can set the charge limit lower then 100%.

As an alternative, could you set a charge timer on the vehicle or charge point? Calculate how long it’s needs to get to 90% and then set the timer accordingly. If you don’t need maximum range each day, probably won’t matter if it’s not too accurate a way of doing things. 80 to 90% would suffice.

Or , don’t charge every day. Wait until you need more range the following day than the car has. Then charge to 100%. That way at least you’ll only have the issue a couple of times a week.
Thanks for your thoughts, that's pretty much where I got to from thinking about it over the weekend.
Ideally I wanted this so I could get into the habit of plugging in every day when I get home and not have to worry about forgetting....

I think my plan currently is to use a smart charger to do a limited charge per day (also gets it working better with our Octopus energy plan once they can activate the smart meter I have).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
34 Posts
No, it is not a unique Tesla feature. You can set upper charge limit in Kona-Niro-Ioniq, probably in other EVs, too. So you should suggest to Peugeot that they implement it as a software update asap.

·
2,871 Posts
So what does that 5% during which the regen doesn’t work equate to? The first 10 miles?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what does that 5% during which the regen doesn’t work equate to? The first 10 miles?
Its more about the change of behaviour / expected way to drive when there's no brake regen - when you first pull out of the drive, early morning, on the way to work, don't really want to be thinking about the fact that the regen isnt there and so you have to be more aware of actually breaking rather than letting it regen brake for you.

It's a really small thing, I love the car overall, just one little thing that I was interested in to see if there was a way to set a max charge limit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other thing which I read in various different places is that charging to 100% all of the time isn't good for the battery.
I know there's about 5% built in at the top meaning it never gets to "100%" as such, but still having that option makes sense to me.

·
2,871 Posts
Its more about the change of behaviour / expected way to drive when there's no brake regen - when you first pull out of the drive, early morning, on the way to work, don't really want to be thinking about the fact that the regen isnt there and so you have to be more aware of actually breaking rather than letting it regen brake for you.

It's a really small thing, I love the car overall, just one little thing that I was interested in to see if there was a way to set a max charge limit.
I’m hoping to get an e-208 when they arrive on my vehicle suppliers fleet. So your comments are useful. At the moment I’ve got a Zoe with soft regen from the accelerator. To increase regen, you use the brake pedal, before finally the friction brakes are operated. So I’ll probably need to change my style of driving. That said I’m upgrading to a ZE50 at the end of the month, and that has B mode on the gear selector, so I’ll see how I get on with that.

·
2,871 Posts
The other thing which I read in various different places is that charging to 100% all of the time isn't good for the battery.
I know there's about 5% built in at the top meaning it never gets to "100%" as such, but still having that option makes sense to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m hoping to get an e-208 when they arrive on my vehicle suppliers fleet. So your comments are useful. At the moment I’ve got a Zoe with soft regen from the accelerator. To increase regen, you use the brake pedal, before finally the friction brakes are operated. So I’ll probably need to change my style of driving. That said I’m upgrading to a ZE50 at the end of the month, and that has B mode on the gear selector, so I’ll see how I get on with that.
With the selector in B mode there is a definite feeling of breaking when you come off the accelerator. Not as aggressive as some (Tesla for certain), and it's not quite 100% possible to do "one pedal driving", but its certainly a good thing.
I'm a bit of a habitual person, so I assume my habit will be to put it into B mode and eco mode every time I get in.

·
2,871 Posts
With the selector in B mode there is a definite feeling of breaking when you come off the accelerator. Not as aggressive as some (Tesla for certain), and it's not quite 100% possible to do "one pedal driving", but its certainly a good thing.
I'm a bit of a habitual person, so I assume my habit will be to put it into B mode and eco mode every time I get in.
I had a Model 3 Performance for a month, and the one pedal driving was amazing, both in city and country B roads. Missed it when I got back in the Zoe.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
There is no regen braking on the e208 until there is capacity in the battery to take the charge (that’s the same irrelevant of what mode you are in)

the Zoe regen was constant but where was that “charge” going off the battery was full?

It does drive differently yeah but it’s not a massive issue.

i much prefer driving using an accelerator and brake

I feel b mode removed throttle response - I love sport mode

JJ

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
The e-Golf has this feature, you can set the upper charge limit to anything you like. You can set a minimum charge limit too if you use departure timers.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry too much about not being able to use regen at the start of every journey, it won’t take long for you to get through 5% of the battery anyway.

·
richi.uk
216 Posts
My standing advice, whatever car you have, is: If the car doesn't have a setting for this, don't habitually fake it by ending the charge early. Of course, there's nothing wrong with stopping the charge when you need to, but if you do it again and again, you risk imbalancing the cells.

The idea of charging to 100% being bad for degradation is an old wives' tale, born of a misunderstanding of what "100%" actually means. What the car tells you is 100% isn't going to be what a Li-ion cell engineer thinks of as 100%. That's either because the car implicitly hides the top 5–10%, or because the cell manufacturer redefines 100% as, say, 4.1 Voc—rather than the normal 4.2 Voc. (The exception here is how Tesla does it.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My standing advice, whatever car you have, is: If the car doesn't have a setting for this, don't habitually fake it by ending the charge early. Of course, there's nothing wrong with stopping the charge when you need to, but if you do it again and again, you risk imbalancing the cells.

The idea of charging to 100% being bad for degradation is an old wives' tale, born of a misunderstanding of what "100%" actually means. What the car tells you is 100% isn't going to be what a Li-ion cell engineer thinks of as 100%. That's either because the car implicitly hides the top 5–10%, or because the cell manufacturer redefines 100% as, say, 4.1 Voc—rather than the normal 4.2 Voc. (The exception here is how Tesla does it.)
Interesting, thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts

Absolutely. In the early days Nissan limited charging to 85% by default, but after a few years of confirming how batteries coped in real world they removed it.

Generally when most manufacturers allow you to limit charging it is for convenience rather than "protecting the battery". For example, if you have free charging at work you may only want to charge to 50% at home to save money and 100% at work (so GPS based would be great too).

Another example would be if you are on Octopus Agile and think rates might plunge over weekend. It is a useful feature and be good if Zoe had it, I simulate by making the charging window smaller, but it isn't as flexible.

Reactions: E7EV

·
Registered
895 Posts
Just picked up e208 on Friday, trying to work out how to set a maximum SoC when plugged in.
Regen doesn't work when SoC is greater than 95%, so want to set a maximum SoC to 90% when plugged in - app or onboard computer doesn't seem to have any settings for this....

Any ideas?
Can't

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts