Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't post often but today I test drove a Peugeot e-208. Having had a Tesla MS 90D for 4 years we are now looking for a small city car to replace my wifes Audi A1. I wasn't expecting too much but was actually quite impressed by the car.
It drove pretty well, the smaller steering wheel didn't seem odd and the 3D cockpit was impressive. It had decent acceleration and the ride was fine around town. It's range is the only concern , it has a 50Kw battery and the range was showing 130miles at nearly full, WLTP is 207. But it was only 4C outside! As we would be 90+% city driving with only 3-4 longer journeys per year (and also have the MS), it should suit us. It also can charge upto 100Kwh. The regeneration even in B mode wasn't as strong as the Tesla.
The GT is well specced and the sales person said it ordered now should be available end of March. will probably go ahead as we really want a super mini size and the corsa-e looks abit dated already (the front looks the same as our 6 year old A1)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good to hear. I had a very short test drive last week (15 mins or so and mainly on a dual carriageway but I was also very impressed with the cabin and spec and that it is available with a pano roof). Ride seemed a little firm/unsettled but have arranged a longer test drive in 2 days time.Unfortunatley they do not allow overnight or 24 hour test drives, as I want to check fast charging speeds, the LEDS etc which I may not have time for, but they did say I could have the car for an hour or two which may be enough.

Interesting thing with EVs is that it is not only about the "drive" but also about overall efficiency as these are limited range cars in comparison to ICE cars, and therefore charging times and 100kw charging is a definite selling point for a 50kwh battery car. My friend has ordered a Honda e (delivery in June he has been told) which looks fantastic but already a little put out by the fact the 100kw charge time is almost identical to the 50kw CCS charge times (30 min vs 31 mins for 20-80%) according to Honda.As this was a selling point for him in such a limited range car, the belief he could stop for about 10-20mins on a suitable fast charger to take on plenty of range. It seems the Honda e really will be an urban only car, even though in my opinion all EVs make brilliant motorway cruisers due to their refinement and smoothness.

·
Registered
185 Posts
2 hour test drive. Thoroughly impressed! This has gone to the top of the pops for me, although still thinking the Soul-EV will be best just for THAT bigger range. I may have actually walked away from a no-brainer deal also after the test drive. Will explain later..
First the car. I have driven several EVs now over the past 3 years since owning the i3. To be honest they all drive well. Some are a bit boring eg-Leaf. Some feel sporty and therefore a touch more enjoyable-i3 and todays e-208. Some just are all around nice and good eg-e-Niro. Not driven the TM3 as just too big for us and not a hatch.Although driven other Teslas-all massive. No new Zoe available as yet for test drives in my area. And so many more EVs coming in the next 6-8 months.
The cabin of the e-208 is one of the nicest cabins to be in. The 3D cockpit display with speed etc hovering over the nav map works brilliantly.The top spec GT has everything I would need-basically the same as my well specced i3.
Not quite as punchy as the i3 but 136bhp plays 170bhp-but more than fast enough.Still leaves everything for dead away from the lights. Cruised brillaintly at motorway speeds and good acceleration at high speeds, and plenty quiet enough. Always hard to judge which car is quieter-i3 or e-208.Only a back to back ride would tell.But essentially refined like most EVs. I was worried ride would be too firm but it handles the rough stuff and most importantly ,speed bumps with no issues whatsoever-nice and soft on "soft" take-off and landing, as it were. Not crashy. It rode very similarly to the i3.But not skittish at all.As all EVs- a well planted feel and in torrential rain at that on the motorway.

Took it to a new Polar Ultracharger but "EV'd!!" Big Audi e-tron parked in one of the 2 bays but using the cable from the empty bay where I parked as the cable on these are too short and that one could stretch across to the Audi charge port!. No sign of driver. Audi 60% charged.P**sed off!.Wanted to check the 100kw charging capability of the e-208. Waited around for a while. Decided to head back to dealership as over an hour gone by then.

This car does everything you need if you want a compact type car.Tried my damndest to get the battery lower before the charge up but seemed to go down really slowly.211 miles WLTP. Overall ecomomy was 3.2miles/kwh but was not driving effeciently at all. I have read Peugeot use LG Chem (brill!) or Chinese CATL (I have no experience of them!) in their EVs. Not sure which brand type is in the e-208 or if it is different from car to car?

Back to dealer. They have a great deal on, both salesman and manager say. Just come through from Peugeot Head Office. Order today (31st Jan) and with car with extra metallic paint (lovely blue colour as test car) but with my choice of Pano-sunroof which I gather does not open so more a "moon roof" they were offering me a discount of almost £4000 in ADDITION to the LEV grant so £7500 off or around £26,500 OTR with free wall box...

Bugger me. The plan was to return with the wife later in the week as the car is mainly for her. Also potentially part ex'ing her ICE car. Spoke with her. She wanted test drive first, and she was not sure about the looks of the car, but liked it in pictures, so would have to be later in week...
Although no hard sales pressure, felt a bit uncomfortable with the "deal only on for today". It is all about hitting the LEV targets which have come in already, they said, so would be '69 registered and not 2020 plate. Delivery next week.
As no functioning app for car ("coming later") and just as so tired/hungry by then, decided to hold off.

Is there an approaching perfect storm for potential EV buyers here? Economy a bit in the doldrums, low car sales in general, car manufacturer's going to get huge fines if they don't get their fleet averages of CO2 down, and a huge number of EVs due to hit the market, I have a feeling there may be plenty more deals to be had. Even the Peugeot salesman agreed- there may be similar such deals next month (tomorrow!?!)-"who knows?" he said That is just the email they had received today-some unregistered cars that they needed to be registered before the end of this month. But in comparison to other EVs, their prices vs range, and spec of the e-208, at present, this really was a very good deal. Have I been an idiot to walk away? Peugeot is still not tried and tested though unlike BMW,Nissan and Renault in EV land. That also played in my decision to hold off. For now at least. I don't like the feeling of being rushed in to a deal. End of.Lets see what happens tomorrow or in the next few weeks..

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
£26,500 would be very tempting for a GT...that puts it at the same price as the top spec Zoe and Vauxhall, and it's arguably the most 'prestige' of the trio with the most in terms of specification.

·
Embracing the GTE revolution in Golf GTE
Current Golf GTE 16 plate, Next ID 3
484 Posts
2 hour test drive. Thoroughly impressed! This has gone to the top of the pops for me, although still thinking the Soul-EV will be best just for THAT bigger range. I may have actually walked away from a no-brainer deal also after the test drive. Will explain later..
First the car. I have driven several EVs now over the past 3 years since owning the i3. To be honest they all drive well. Some are a bit boring eg-Leaf. Some feel sporty and therefore a touch more enjoyable-i3 and todays e-208. Some just are all around nice and good eg-e-Niro. Not driven the TM3 as just too big for us and not a hatch.Although driven other Teslas-all massive. No new Zoe available as yet for test drives in my area. And so many more EVs coming in the next 6-8 months.
The cabin of the e-208 is one of the nicest cabins to be in. The 3D cockpit display with speed etc hovering over the nav map works brilliantly.The top spec GT has everything I would need-basically the same as my well specced i3.
Not quite as punchy as the i3 but 136bhp plays 170bhp-but more than fast enough.Still leaves everything for dead away from the lights. Cruised brillaintly at motorway speeds and good acceleration at high speeds, and plenty quiet enough. Always hard to judge which car is quieter-i3 or e-208.Only a back to back ride would tell.But essentially refined like most EVs. I was worried ride would be too firm but it handles the rough stuff and most importantly ,speed bumps with no issues whatsoever-nice and soft on "soft" take-off and landing, as it were. Not crashy. It rode very similarly to the i3.But not skittish at all.As all EVs- a well planted feel and in torrential rain at that on the motorway.

Took it to a new Polar Ultracharger but "EV'd!!" Big Audi e-tron parked in one of the 2 bays but using the cable from the empty bay where I parked as the cable on these are too short and that one could stretch across to the Audi charge port!. No sign of driver. Audi 60% charged.P**sed off!.Wanted to check the 100kw charging capability of the e-208. Waited around for a while. Decided to head back to dealership as over an hour gone by then.

This car does everything you need if you want a compact type car.Tried my damndest to get the battery lower before the charge up but seemed to go down really slowly.211 miles WLTP. Overall ecomomy was 3.2miles/kwh but was not driving effeciently at all. I have read Peugeot use LG Chem (brill!) or Chinese CATL (I have no experience of them!) in their EVs. Not sure which brand type is in the e-208 or if it is different from car to car?

Back to dealer. They have a great deal on, both salesman and manager say. Just come through from Peugeot Head Office. Order today (31st Jan) and with car with extra metallic paint (lovely blue colour as test car) but with my choice of Pano-sunroof which I gather does not open so more a "moon roof" they were offering me a discount of almost £4000 in ADDITION to the LEV grant so £7500 off or around £26,500 OTR with free wall box...

Bugger me. The plan was to return with the wife later in the week as the car is mainly for her. Also potentially part ex'ing her ICE car. Spoke with her. She wanted test drive first, and she was not sure about the looks of the car, but liked it in pictures, so would have to be later in week...
Although no hard sales pressure, felt a bit uncomfortable with the "deal only on for today". It is all about hitting the LEV targets which have come in already, they said, so would be '69 registered and not 2020 plate. Delivery next week.
As no functioning app for car ("coming later") and just as so tired/hungry by then, decided to hold off.

Is there an approaching perfect storm for potential EV buyers here? Economy a bit in the doldrums, low car sales in general, car manufacturer's going to get huge fines if they don't get their fleet averages of CO2 down, and a huge number of EVs due to hit the market, I have a feeling there may be plenty more deals to be had. Even the Peugeot salesman agreed- there may be similar such deals next month (tomorrow!?!)-"who knows?" he said That is just the email they had received today-some unregistered cars that they needed to be registered before the end of this month. But in comparison to other EVs, their prices vs range, and spec of the e-208, at present, this really was a very good deal. Have I been an idiot to walk away? Peugeot is still not tried and tested though unlike BMW,Nissan and Renault in EV land. That also played in my decision to hold off. For now at least. I don't like the feeling of being rushed in to a deal. End of.Lets see what happens tomorrow or in the next few weeks..
What dealer was this at out of interest as I to am quite keen in the car and would love to get along test drive. My nearest dealer in Desira in Lowestoft or Busseys in Norwich. Wonder if they have a similar offer and wether it will carry into next month.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
What dealer was this at out of interest as I to am quite keen in the car and would love to get along test drive. My nearest dealer in Desira in Lowestoft or Busseys in Norwich. Wonder if they have a similar offer and wether it will carry into next month.
I was intrigued so rang my local dealer. Apparently it was an EU incentive and only applied to cars registered today. They said it wouldn't be available any other time.

Obviously that's not to say discounts won't increase over time to similar levels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dealer emailed me yesterday with a similar offer which had to be signed by today. I too passed up on it as there were only 5 cars inThe UK available for delivery, they don’t have TACC (as this is only standard) from February builds and if buying via a company BIK is 16%, but drops to 0% 1 April. Will see what new deal are available over the next couple of months.

·
Embracing the GTE revolution in Golf GTE
Current Golf GTE 16 plate, Next ID 3
484 Posts
Strange that I didn't get an email as I had expressed interest in the car when I went to the viewing event at the Norwich dealer last week. Oh well have to wait and see what they can come up with later down the road. Still kinda want to tear it back to back against the e2008 as that may be a bit better suited to my needs, problem is that is eNiro sort of pricing and the eNiro is imho the better car. Just not as readily available yet....

·
Registered
958 Posts
I had test drive car last Saturday e208. It's nice car inside some cheap plastics lower down but nice dash none the less. I too have i3 range extender.
Went to the dealer launch event last night but they aren't moving at the moment on 24 hour test drive. This could change, not buying any electix car that I can't have 24 hour proper test drive in . Want to see real world range not what they keep telling me what WTLP range is .

Currently have 62KW nissan leaf out on 72 hour test drive, picked it up today it's suppose get 235 mike's I got 184 miles doing motorway testing today sitting at 60/70 in eco mode with no heating on, going to take the car back two days early tomorrow.

Want car that will allow me drive 200 real miles. Work in Dublin at times travel from Belfast, it's 100 mile's each way. Want car I don't have to stop to charge.

What is other people hoping this car will achieve on full charge ?

That price of 26k seemed be great price for GT model.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
In South Wales. Griffin Mill. They have several brands under one umbrella so will be interesting for EV competition.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had test drive car last Saturday e208. It's nice car inside some cheap plastics lower down but nice dash none the less. I too have i3 range extender.
Went to the dealer launch event last night but they aren't moving at the moment on 24 hour test drive. This could change, not buying any electix car that I can't have 24 hour proper test drive in . Want to see real world range not what they keep telling me what WTLP range is .

Currently have 62KW nissan leaf out on 72 hour test drive, picked it up today it's suppose get 235 mike's I got 184 miles doing motorway testing today sitting at 60/70 in eco mode with no heating on, going to take the car back two days early tomorrow.

Want car that will allow me drive 200 real miles. Work in Dublin at times travel from Belfast, it's 100 mile's each way. Want car I don't have to stop to charge.

What is other people hoping this car will achieve on full charge ?

That price of 26k seemed be great price for GT model.

I have the same need as I travel from South Wales to London frequently. The i3 Rex does this in all weathers. (68mph ACC) And with some mileage in battery & petrol remaining. I estimate I can do around 230 miles in summer at that sort of speed. Interestingly BMW have always said the 94Ah Rex can do UP TO 200 miles. I have calculated Rex does between 48-54 mpg equiv. depending on conditions.

In terms of WLTP for new EVs I think the real world range is always around 30-40 miles less (allowing some contingency) unless you only travel urban routes where they may match or even exceed WLTP. So the e-208 may not make it in winter. But with 100kw charging don’t mind stopping for 10 mins for some added mileage. I never normally stop though on the London journey but not getting any younger so may need to soon!
Strange that I didn't get an email as I had expressed interest in the car when I went to the viewing event at the Norwich dealer last week. Oh well have to wait and see what they can come up with later down the road. Still kinda want to tear it back to back against the e2008 as that may be a bit better suited to my needs, problem is that is eNiro sort of pricing and the eNiro is imho the better car. Just not as readily available yet....
The e-2008 I had not even considered but sat in the petrol version in the showroom today and was definitely more spacious without being a massive car 4.2-4.3m long I think. I thought it had the same 50kwh battery as e-208 but have recently read it has a 56kwh battery but WLTP still under 200 miles. Choices Choices...

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have the same need as I travel from South Wales to London frequently. The i3 Rex does this in all weathers. (68mph ACC) And with some mileage in battery & petrol remaining. I estimate I can do around 230 miles in summer at that sort of speed. Interestingly BMW have always said the 94Ah Rex can do UP TO 200 miles. I have calculated Rex does between 48-54 mpg equiv. depending on conditions.

In terms of WLTP for new EVs I think the real world range is always around 30-40 miles less (allowing some contingency) unless you only travel urban routes where they may match or even exceed WLTP. So the e-208 may not make it in winter. But with 100kw charging don’t mind stopping for 10 mins for some added mileage. I never normally stop though on the London journey but not getting any younger so may need to soon!

The e-2008 I had not even considered but sat in the petrol version in the showroom today and was definitely more spacious without being a massive car 4.2-4.3m long I think. I thought it had the same 50kwh battery as e-208 but have recently read it has a 56kwh battery but WLTP still under 200 miles. Choices Choices...
For range there is only one choice.
Korean.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not the most successful attempt at my first ever Ultracharger charge. Huge Audi E-tron parked in 1 bay and using the cable from the bay I had just reversed in to. The cables do seem quite short so I’m wondering if his cable was not long enough on that side anyway to reach his chargepoint. Driver nowhere to be seen/found. Only 60% charged. Waited around. I left empty handed. Shame. Wanted to see what sort of charge rate the e-208 could take.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not the most successful attempt at my first ever Ultracharger charge. Huge Audi E-tron parked in 1 bay and using the cable from the bay I had just reversed in to. The cables do seem quite short so I’m wondering if his cable was not long enough on that side anyway to reach his chargepoint. Driver nowhere to be seen/found. Only 60% charged. Waited around. I left empty handed. Shame. Wanted to see what sort of charge rate the e-208 could take.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I went to a dealer a month back in Portugal to inquire about the car, he said that EVs were useless and said who would pay 37,000 € for an e206 EV,. Told me maintenance costs where much higher than in ICE cars ?I said Tesla does not have mandatory maintenance costs where he told me, Tesla cost 100,000 € +. I said the M3 is 49,000 € where he claimed this was extremely expensively. I pointed at some diesel estate in the showroom with a 50,000 € + price tag and said "who would pay 50,000 € for that piece of diesel s**t when you could get a Tesla cheaper". He was not happy and I was not happy, so I went home keeping my ID.3 pre-order. I hope the Peugeot dealers in the UK are slightly more friendly.

e208 is a great looking car and I saw one at Lisbon airport, but the sales guys are terrible. ID.3 for me is better apart from the looks.

·
Registered
193 Posts

The deal you were offered was great, but I think your were right to walk away. I am very surprised they are giving deals on the e208 so earlier, as I thought they were only making 15,000 this year for the whole of Europe, and I was under the impression they had already sold out. In Portugal the e208 GT line is 37,000 € and my pre-ordered ID.3 is <39,000 €, specs are much better on the ID.3, and the ID.3 is a better car and only an extra 2,000€. However the e208 GT line is an absolute beauty!

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
I had a short accompanied drive today. A mix of congested urban, motorway, and open roads. The dealer staff explained that Peugeot had attempted to create a 'normal' small car that performed pretty much the same whether the buyer chose petrol, diesel, or electric. I think they might have achieved that. To be honest I could have been driving any bog-standard modern car with the latest version of dashboard layouts. The fact that it was ordinary was a surprise to me. It was competent and comfortable. They tried to create an EV that was no different from the other versions and succeeded. But I wondered if I want 'ordinary'.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts