Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e Niro 2020
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the car out for a trip to the vulnerable mother in law's and here are my early observations:

• Auto hold is extremely useful but annoyingly seems to turn itself off each time you start your vehicle.
  • Not a fan of VESS but it seems to always turn itself back on (guessing a safety thing).
  • Sport mode is startlingly fast... Useful for showing hot hatch youngsters how to launch from the lights.
  • Pre heating/air conditioning using UVO is an excellent feature and will no doubt come into its own in the harsh winters and hot summers.
  • Regeneration braking will take some getting used to. It was in auto mode but didn't seem to change the strength without manually playing with the paddles. Silly question but I'm guessing pressing the brake pedal doesn't provide regen?

Lots more to learn and experience. First thoughts are it is an incredible car and is a very smooth drive.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Took the car out for a trip to the vulnerable mother in law's and here are my early observations:

• Auto hold is extremely useful but annoyingly seems to turn itself off each time you start your vehicle.
  • Not a fan of VESS but it seems to always turn itself back on (guessing a safety thing).
  • Sport mode is startlingly fast... Useful for showing hot hatch youngsters how to launch from the lights.
  • Pre heating/air conditioning using UVO is an excellent feature and will no doubt come into its own in the harsh winters and hot summers.
  • Regeneration braking will take some getting used to. It was in auto mode but didn't seem to change the strength without manually playing with the paddles. Silly question but I'm guessing pressing the brake pedal doesn't provide regen?

Lots more to learn and experience. First thoughts are it is an incredible car and is a very smooth drive.
Pressing the brake pedal applies regenerative braking right up to the maximum amount available at the current speed; the friction brakes are only applied when there is no more regen available.
Instead of using auto-hold you can apply a hold by pulling the left paddle until the car stops; you can then release it. This doesn't use the friction brakes at all.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,886 Posts
I think you are confused about AutoRegen level. It is a smart feature and applies varying regen level based on the road safety. For example, I use level 0 regen and Auto, and the car will regen brake on its own when coming up to another stopped car.

It will not stop though!! Think of it as variable regen level safety feature, it will slow the car down to the creep speed, only when necessary.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,041 Posts
Auto hold is great... but not for low speed manoeuvring where it’s horrible imho, which is a good enough reason for it to always default to off. My start up routine is to turn on auto hold and disable lane keep assist.... because that does scary things on the roads near me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Re autohold with low speed manoeuvring, you should be able to do this without autohold engaging, autohold requires a reasonable push on the pedal to engage so a light feathering of the pedal should not necessarily engage it.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,041 Posts
Re autohold with low speed manoeuvring, you should be able to do this without autohold engaging, autohold requires a reasonable push on the pedal to engage so a light feathering of the pedal should not necessarily engage it.
Not my experience.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,886 Posts
AutoHold should not enable unless you are fully stopped for a couple of seconds. As long as you are moving, AutoHold is irrelevant, it doesn't matter if it is low or high speed. And there is no correlation with how hard you press on the brake pedal, it is time dependent.

Obviously when manoeuvring, you will be coming to a stop when changing direction, so you can't avoid AutoHold engaging. Then it is better to be off, but if you are coming to a stop (unavoidable) the impact will be very limited.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,777 Posts
The manual (the Kona one - I assume it’s basically the same for the Soul and eNiro too) recommends having auto hold turned off in certain circumstances:

·
Registered
756 Posts
That's a bit odd, I can understand if driving downhill slowly such that you actually stop sometimes, but why when parking?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
1,140 Posts
That's a bit odd, I can understand if driving downhill slowly such that you actually stop sometimes, but why when parking?
Because to overcome Auto hold you need to press the accelerator a bit more to put the car in motion and once it starts moving, it´ll be with just the slightest of jumps. So when parking and every centimeter counts, Auto hold will make the car's movement a bit less predictable so you may involuntarily bump into something.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Because to overcome Auto hold you need to press the accelerator a bit more to put the car in motion and once it starts moving, it´ll be with just the slightest of jumps. So when parking and every centimeter counts, Auto hold will make the car's movement a bit less predictable so you may involuntarily bump into something.
Yep found this out accidentally. I don't use autohold at all, personal taste, however I accidentally engaged it without realising and when it came to parallel parking it was disgusting!

There is no finesse to the pedal, to make it move you have to put more force into the pedal than I would normally use in that situation. I prefer letting creep do the work when necessary and feathering the brake.

·
3,777 Posts
Exactly right. I’ve noticed that the slight jump is slightly more pronounced in my Kona than it was in my i3, so before I noticed this bit of the manual I had already started switching off auto hold (and switiching the front parking sensors on) when turning into my street - in preparation for manoeuvring into my drive.

·
3,777 Posts
Oh, so it more means "if your first attempt at parking fails". :D
If I was to try and park into some of the tight parallel bays I use without using reverse and then drive I would not be very popular as I’d be leaving my car mm from the car behind. Unless you’ve got bags of space, you need to be able to stop, and then move forwards (or backwards) again very precisely.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think you are confused about AutoRegen level. It is a smart feature and applies varying regen level based on the road safety. For example, I use level 0 regen and Auto, and the car will regen brake on its own when coming up to another stopped car.

It will not stop though!! Think of it as variable regen level safety feature, it will slow the car down to the creep speed, only when necessary.
Yes, the box goes blue when it sees a vehicle ahead of you. Very clever that it doesn't baulk at oncoming vehicles. It can panic at parked vehicles, however. And it hangs on to heavy regen long after a turning vehicle ahead of you is going to be safely out of the way. You get to anticipate its foibles though. AUTO also senses uphill, level, downhill. I use level 0 so I've only seen it increase by itself to a maximum of level 2, on a steep downhill. If you're using level 2 or 3, it presumably reduces the underlying setting uphill?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Pressing the brake pedal applies regenerative braking right up to the maximum amount available at the current speed; the friction brakes are only applied when there is no more regen available.
Instead of using auto-hold you can apply a hold by pulling the left paddle until the car stops; you can then release it. This doesn't use the friction brakes at all.
Yes, presumably up to the maximum deceleration achievable by holding the left paddle, which is 0.23g. Left paddle complete halt does use power to hold the car still, however, especially on an incline, and I suspect requires reverse torque for the final slowdown -- see regen curves:

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
1,140 Posts
, on a steep downhill. If you're using level 2 or 3, it presumably reduces the underlying setting uphill?
I can confirm it does not do that. I always have regen 3 set and Auto has never reduced the level regardless of circumstances. Once I resume driving on motorways I will probably set regen to 0 and automatic and I expect Auto to be more of use there.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I can confirm it does not do that. I always have regen 3 set and Auto has never reduced the level regardless of circumstances. Once I resume driving on motorways I will probably set regen to 0 and automatic and I expect Auto to be more of use there.
Good to know. AUTO regen is only really noticeable/relevant with level 0 or 1, then.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
Yep found this out accidentally. I don't use autohold at all, personal taste, however I accidentally engaged it without realising and when it came to parallel parking it was disgusting!

There is no finesse to the pedal, to make it move you have to put more force into the pedal than I would normally use in that situation. I prefer letting creep do the work when necessary and feathering the brake.
Agree auto hold makes the car very jerky for manoeuvering. I'm used to automatics so alway use creep to park. The only thing auto hold does is save having to keep the footbrake pressed in stationary traffic.
This also has the side effect of turning off the brake lights so no indication that your are stopped for incoming traffic!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts