Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When booking over the phone, the Pod Point representative was quite insistent that the installers would need to check the earth clamp at the gas meter and water mains.
The earth clamp to the gas meter is clearly there, but there isn't one to the water mains, now I'm not sure it needs one, as although the water pipes in the house are copper, the mains supply in to the house is clearly plastic, so it wouldn't earth to ground in any case.

What is likely to happen at install? Will the sub contractors see sense and just install. will they install but not commission and ask for an electrician's report, or will they walk away?

Anyone with a similar experience?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
The clamp on your water pipe is to ensure you have an equipotential zone in the house, it has nothing to do with the water supply (or gas) which has been plastic for many years.

Equipotential means all metal work must be at same earth as your supply for your safety, especially if you have PME supply. It might be worth getting an electrician in to check your installation especially if old.

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
When booking over the phone, the Pod Point representative was quite insistent that the installers would need to check the earth clamp at the gas meter and water mains.
The earth clamp to the gas meter is clearly there, but there isn't one to the water mains, now I'm not sure it needs one, as although the water pipes in the house are copper, the mains supply in to the house is clearly plastic, so it wouldn't earth to ground in any case.

What is likely to happen at install? Will the sub contractors see sense and just install. will they install but not commission and ask for an electrician's report, or will they walk away?

Anyone with a similar experience?

Thanks
Hi I would check with your sparky.

A fully isolated from earth metal system (like internal copper pipework) does NOT need to be bonded. The reply above is quoting out of date concepts from OLD regulations which have been revised. Bonding an isolated system can INCREASE risk. Note, Ive recently been around this loop, all now signed off to latest regulations.

Minor but important point. Check your outside tap!

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Unless a recent build, it is highly likely the OP does require bonding. There was a lot of misunderstanding about a slight change to the regulations and a good article at link below, but I note one paragraph "Practically speaking, nothing has changed regarding this Regulation except for the addition of the above statement, but it will undoubtedly make people question whether protective bonding is required at all".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question, Western Power are changing our main fuse from 60nto 80 amps next week, do I need to inform Pod Point after, so that the charger isn't throttled too much?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts