Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Madam Legurtz
407 Posts
Follow the yellow/green wire :) . Apparently the copper spike is one meter in length, I wasn't there to see them drive it into the ground.

IMG_20171212_140043.jpg

IMG_20171212_140011.jpg

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,935 Posts
Mine is the same as above although I can't see any cable running to it. It is on top of monoblocs so maybe the installer lifted one to get the cable to it, the rest of the wall and charger have Virginia Creeper disguising it. I need to have a nosey when it is daylight.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
If you have to ask how to fit an earth rod, you should not be installing it.

Dare I ask how you propose to test it's functionality ?
I second this comment, there are loads of regulations and guidelines when it comes to earthing for homes, there's a different set for businesses and shared electrical systems in flats...
It looks awfully complicated to a layman like me, but I guess trained electricians know about this stuff as supposedly they're the only ones who should be doing the installation.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
It looks awfully complicated to a layman like me, but I guess trained electricians know about this stuff as supposedly they're the only ones who should be doing the installation.
On the other hand, there's no harm in being a well-informed customer when commissioning work.

One of the problems with electrical work in general is that while the theory can be relatively complicated, 99% of jobs that the average electrician has to do require exactly the same solution as the last one. For that 1% of jobs that are a bit different, some electricians will relish the chance to pull out the regulations book and have a good think, while others will not realise that it's a special situation, or just guess at the solution.

EV charging has several aspects that are rather different from typical domestic electrical work, and this does catch out some electricians.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts