Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all the great info on here that I've been absorbing since my 'newbie intro' post; I’ve had the confidence to collaborate with my local electrician to plan my EV home charger.

What I could do with knowing is whether the earthing connection box could be located underneath a paving slab.

This would mean that the aesthetic could be more in line with my better-half’s preference (i.e. completely invisible) whilst keeping the box away from her prying spades.

Is there any regulation or guidance that makes this the bad idea?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
... bumped into my local electrician - he sees no problem with this as long as it's clear to see as soon as the slab's lifted.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
609 Posts
I'd put it into an access box, such as the one shown in this video:

The paving slab can then be cut to fit around it, it is clear where the earthing rod is in future, and your electrician has easy access for testing if needed in future.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I think the paving slab is absolutely fine, but you should put a permanent label above ground that makes it findable by the next person. Also, hopefully. It's a good low impedance earth and not subject to drying out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks both - I'll watch the vid and I'll go investigate having a 'permanent label' and how/where to install it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes reasonably accessible for periodic inspection is needed. The thick striped yellow wire is a fair clue to follow of course. Keeping the business end (connection to the rod) clear and easy to maintain is a good idea, hence the various not so ugly boxes popping up.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Yes reasonably accessible for periodic inspection is needed. The thick yellow and black wire is a fair clue to follow of course. Keeping the business end (connection to the rod) clear and easy to maintain is a good idea, hence the various not so ugly boxes popping up.
Earth wires normally yellow and GREEN.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks to all the great info on here that I've been absorbing since my 'newbie intro' post; I’ve had the confidence to collaborate with my local electrician to plan my EV home charger.

What I could do with knowing is whether the earthing connection box could be located underneath a paving slab.

This would mean that the aesthetic could be more in line with my better-half’s preference (i.e. completely invisible) whilst keeping the box away from her prying spades.

Hi Yorkie why don't you fit a new Zappi charger they now don't need an earth rod fitted now

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Yorkie why don't you fit a new Zappi charger they now don't need an earth rod fitted now
Ha good plan - thanks, but I'd already installed a commando socket / Ohme cable setup, so I'm committed to an earth rod (or similar)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts