Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

I have just emailed East Lindsey Council who cover Skegness and most of the East Coast and to see wether or not they are installing EV chargers in the future and they said they weren't due to being low demand for such things.

I know for sure a lot of EV drivers will go to the east coast if they could Rapid or slow charge throughout the day! If you all wouldn't mind sending an email to the council to request such chargers to be installed it would help the EV community greatly and hopefully get some action going on the eastern front!!!

The email address is [email protected]

Cheers

Dan

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Lincolnshire is spectacularly bad for rapid charge stations. Gonerby Hill Foot (almost Nottinghamshire) on the A1 has two courtesy of Ecotricity, there is a broken one at Trenton Nissan, Tetney 71 miles away and that's all folks. Not good for any county, but when you're the second largest county in England its... well its embarrassing. Skeggy isn't going to get one when Lincoln hasn't any.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lincolnshire is spectacularly bad for rapid charge stations. Gonerby Hill Foot (almost Nottinghamshire) on the A1 has two courtesy of Ecotricity, there is a broken one at Trenton Nissan, Tetney 71 miles away and that's all folks. Not good for any county, but when you're the second largest county in England its... well its embarrassing. Skeggy isn't going to get one when Lincoln hasn't any.
If you could just email the council and push this matter, just maybe they'll listen! Every little helps!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have. Hope it helps. After all I don't want to live in a world where the Lincolnshire Wolds are inaccessible to EV drivers. You can keep Skegness though:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have. Hope it helps. After all I don't want to live in a world where the Lincolnshire Wolds are inaccessible to EV drivers. You can keep Skegness though:D
Hahaha I'm more after mablethorpe but you can never forget Skegness!! Thanks for your email!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have made the trip from Leicester - Skegness
All good now that Melton Mowbray has an EV charge point (24hrs) and the Aura Centre at Skegness has a POD point (24hrs)

Still more is needed. Its a big risk to drive all that way on the hope that the only one charger is not broken or blocked.

I will be emailing

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This the reply received from the council;

Thank you for your enquiry and I can confirm that the Council will be reviewing the possibility of installing EV changing points within our existing public car parks in the near future.

I must point out that we are not aware of any grant funding that is currently available for commercial or Public EV charging points and the cost for installing suitable EV points in a public external environment is not insignificant when compared to a cheaper domestic installation. Therefore, in the current climate it is unlikely the Council will be making significant investment in deployment of electric vehicle charging stations at this moment in time.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As it happens, we've been considering diverting a trip down the A1 next month to visit the Mablethorpe area, so I've been looking at the pitiful range of charging options thereabouts. The best I've come up with is to use EH North Ferriby before crossing the Humber bridge, then a 7kW boost near Grimsby and down to Mablethorpe. To get out of Lincs again would mean a 2-3 hour stop in either Louth or Skegness before heading round The Wash to the rapids at King's Lynn. That's 3-4 hours charging plus about 3 1/2 hours driving, even without the earlier bit in Yorkshire and the final 1 1/2 hours home from Lynn. The object was to visit Mablethorpe, but time there has been almost squeezed out by all the overhead. So, project put on hold indefinitely. I wonder how many others avoid the Lincolnshire coast similarly, and whether the council consider that side of the equation in their cost benefit analysis.

And yes, I have emailed East Lindsey Council, asking when they'll make it possible for us to visit, but I don't hold out much hope.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As it happens, we've been considering diverting a trip down the A1 next month to visit the Mablethorpe area, so I've been looking at the pitiful range of charging options thereabouts. The best I've come up with is to use EH North Ferriby before crossing the Humber bridge, then a 7kW boost near Grimsby and down to Mablethorpe. To get out of Lincs again would mean a 2-3 hour stop in either Louth or Skegness before heading round The Wash to the rapids at King's Lynn. That's 3-4 hours charging plus about 3 1/2 hours driving, even without the earlier bit in Yorkshire and the final 1 1/2 hours home from Lynn. The object was to visit Mablethorpe, but time there has been almost squeezed out by all the overhead. So, project put on hold indefinitely. I wonder how many others avoid the Lincolnshire coast similarly, and whether the council consider that side of the equation in their cost benefit analysis.

And yes, I have emailed East Lindsey Council, asking when they'll make it possible for us to visit, but I don't hold out much hope.
It is absolutely disgusting that there is nothing in place on the east coast! We visit this coast multiple times a year and go on holiday at Haven but with no charging infrastructure we can't unless we borrow someone else's car :/ good luck with the emails!

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts

On the one hand, as a Lincolnshire resident, I think the amount of EV infrastructure in the County is pretty woeful, particularly over to the East Coast.

On the other, I can see the council will struggle to build a business case for investing tens of thousands (?) of pounds of public money in order that an unknown, but presumably small, number of EVs could visit the coast.

I'd like to see more EVs and more chargers, but I wonder if it's realistic given the current financial constraints on most local authorities.

·
Registered
296 Posts
On the one hand, as a Lincolnshire resident, I think the amount of EV infrastructure in the County is pretty woeful, particularly over to the East Coast.

On the other, I can see the council will struggle to build a business case for investing tens of thousands (?) of pounds of public money in order that an unknown, but presumably small, number of EVs could visit the coast.

I'd like to see more EVs and more chargers, but I wonder if it's realistic given the current financial constraints on most local authorities.
Fully with you on that. Rapids involve serious money, and are very hard for LAs to justify. The same dilemma causes even more of a problem in mid-Wales.

However, 7kW posts are an order of magnitude cheaper. I've even seen a document making a decent-seeming business case for investing in such, with a respectable ROI from (IIRC) two EV visits a day. In East Lincs, even a few 7kW posts would help a lot! If I'm visiting as a tourist, I'm happy to spend an hour or two here and there, and those 25 mile range boosts would add up to enough to make a visit manageable. Take the Boston/Lincoln/Grimsby/coast area, roughly 50 miles North-South and 40 miles West-East so going in and getting back out is a significant use of SOC. That area boasts five icons on Zap-Map, of which one is reported dead and two belong to hotels with (I presume) restricted access. That leaves just two 7kW options: the Shell garage near Louth, with a reported ICEing problem, and a business centre outside Skegness. Surely that can be improved upon, even if it takes some sort of public/private partnership.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Why not contact Lidl customer support and see if they can do something to help. They opened up the North Yorkshire coast to EVs with their rapid here in Scarborough. The local councils here were the same, no demand and not interested and still nothings changed regarding that while some 7kWh posts at the P&R sites would be most helpful.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just had this reply from Ecotricity:

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your response.

That's no problem, I've passed on your suggestions for the A158 and the A46 however, we can't guarantee that we'll install or that a decision will be made in the short term or medium term.

In answer to your question we don't have any plans to install along the A38, however I shall pass this on as well so our planning team are aware of an interest in this area to look into.

Best wishes,

Josh
Electric Highway Team

So everyone email Ecotricity and hopefully the more people that do, the better the chance!
The email address is: [email protected]
Think we have more of a chance through Ecotricity then the local council!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Pretty well a standard reply, similar to one sent to us in 2015.
Hi John,
Thanks for your email regarding possible locations for charge points to be installed in the Yorkshire Coast area.
This detailed information will allow us to look into the possibility in having charge points installed at your suggested sties.
I’ve passed this onto our planning department as well as management of the Electric Highway.
In the meantime, we really appreciate your support for our Electric Highway and I really hope that you’ll continue to support us in promoting the electric car revolution. Thanks for taking the time to feed this information back to us and if you’ve any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01453 761 455 or simply reply to this email.

Best wishes,
(Name provided)
New Ventures Assistant - Electric Highway
You'll no doubt be aware nothing came of it so don't hold your breath too long! It seems EcoT aren't normally interested in A road sites.

Look out for large planning developments and make the approach to them and/or the local council to make chargers a requirement for the development. Maybe a new or redeveloped Lidl, perhaps?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts