Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I’m the first to admit that this is definitely a first world problem but the type 2 to type 2 charging cable is a PITA to coil up after each charge and put in its bag.

9/10 I just leave it uncurled in the boot.

Is there an easy coil solution that I haven’t seen? I know it has thick cable but something like an extension cable on a reel that you wind Into a case?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
9/10 I just leave it uncurled in the boot.
If you aren't tight for space or OCD then that's the way to go.

For a typical cable it's only a few turns, at a sensible radius, so a reel wouldn't really help. Just takes even more space.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it has to be manually coiled to fit in its circular case. Just wondering if there is an easier method?

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
I bought this for use at the house. Out of stock now but there are others in their 'shop'. I have used it at a public charger to check that it worked at 32 amp.
Just bear in mind that with curly cables (any type, and hoses) the sensibly usable length is about half the 'actual' length, and that the springiness may exert a substantial pull on the ends when significantly extended.

(Some descriptions do give a 'usable length' though that link doesn't.)

·
Registered
102 Posts
One of these?

I use it with the 25m mains cable on my caravan, so they'll be more than enough room for a 5m 32A Type 2 cable. Just make sure that you don't leave it coiled up while charging as the cable will overheat.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
One of these?

I use it with the 25m mains cable on my caravan, so they'll be more than enough room for a 5m 32A Type 2 cable. Just make sure that you don't leave it coiled up while charging as the cable will overheat.
No it won't. Charge cables are much better rated,and there are far fewer turns than normal mains extension leads, so more air circulation. I've done measurements of a tightly coiled cabe at 32A and the addiitonal temperature rise is negligible.
Will something like that provide a big enogh bend radius, and handle the lower flexibility of a 32A cable?

·
Registered
102 Posts
No it won't. Charge cables are much better rated,and there are far fewer turns than normal mains extension leads, so more air circulation. I've done measurements of a tightly coiled cabe at 32A and the addiitonal temperature rise is negligible.
Will something like that provide a big enogh bend radius, and handle the lower flexibility of a 32A cable?
I don't dispute your measurements but you're wrong to suggest that using a coiled electrical cable doesn't increase the risk of fire or damage. Below is what Wikipedia say on the matter.

An extension reel can only carry full rated current when completely extended. This is because the portion of cord on the reel is not exposed to air causing the loss power, (the result of its series resistance), not to dissipate. An extension cord that is in use while coiled up or coiled in a reel can be a serious shock and fire hazard. The heat produced from the resistance cannot dissipate and is instead trapped between the tightly coiled cable, leading to the a fire or shock.

As to the bend radius, it may be too tight on the core of the reel but as the cable is (probably) just 5m it may still have plenty of room to fit without being tightly colied. That said I wouldn't use one for my Type 2 cable as I don't find it too much of a problem to put the cable back in it's bag as it's used only very occasionally. This is why my home charger is tethered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts