Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite protestations that electric vehicles are compromised by short battery range, most owners find the vast majority of driving is achievable on the modest 80-100 miles offered by most vehicles.
Many drivers need to do a longer trip at some point, though. Do you then make that compromise buying a non-electric vehicle--or find another solution?

According to Ecomento, German firm Ebuggy believes it has the answer in the form of a tow-along battery trailer.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091768_ebuggy-electric-car-trailer-boosts-range-by-300-miles-looks-a-bit-silly

image.jpg

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Interesting concept.

I'd consider it if it was priced right but there is currently a major hurdle... most EVs cannot tow... well they can but are are not permitted to as manufacturers have not carried out the required work to get them an authorised towing weight and without that on the V5 you cannot tow.

So manufacturers would need to get their cars authorised for towing first before this would work. I am not sure this could be done retrospectively for existing cars either.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
As far as I can tell, using one of these with any BEV in the UK would be a breach of regulation 41B of the Road Traffic Act, which seems to be simply a fixed penalty of £30 and no points. However, it is also likely to invalidate your insurance which is another £200 and 6 points.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
However, it is also likely to invalidate your insurance which is another £200 and 6 points.
Surely the fine and points is completely irrelevant. Driving with invalid insurance is one of the worst things any driver can do. It means that if you have an accident then you are personally responsible for any financial claims and if you hurt someone badly or killed them then it could run into millions.

Driving without valid insurance is something we should all be very concerned about. If we don't do it then if we have an accident with someone who is uninsured then it will serious affect us and our families.

So forget the fine and points... think of the kiddie we might maim for life that then needs financial support for the rest of their life to pay for their care... it would be you that had to pay for it!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Probably not true using batteries of today but perhaps by the time it gets to market it could be so IMO but then nothing about this is reality... it is a concept isn't it?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
That's got to be a half tonne weight at least, which will take a guesstimated third* off the range. Hmm.

*Guestimate basis Active E vs i3. Similar range, Active E has 1.5 times battery and 1.5 times weight of i3 - same powertrain

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Hmm not for me thanks, I would prefer it in the car or stop at a reliable network of rapid chargers, although I am beginning to think we will see this sooner than a reliable network of rapid chargers ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts