Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual doesn't offer much clarity on what exactly ECO mode offers over Comfort mode; 'Eco: switches the vehicle into economical mode and helps you to drive the vehicle in an energy-saving manner'.

Slower acceleration? A less sensitive accelerator? Anyone care to enlighten me?

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,685 Posts
Yes, the available power is reduced, so you push the accelerator and not much happens. Also, the aircon is tweaked to you less power. You also get some more regen braking by default.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
309 Posts
You should definitely notice a difference in acceleration between Eco/Comfort/Sport - time to find an empty stretch of road and do some 0-60 tests 😉

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, both, I'll have a play.

Eco mode might be useful as, in these early days, it can be fairly easy to get a fast launch from stationary in Comfort mode without intending to.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
86 Posts
The manual doesn't offer much clarity on what exactly ECO mode offers over Comfort mode; 'Eco: switches the vehicle into economical mode and helps you to drive the vehicle in an energy-saving manner'.

Slower acceleration? A less sensitive accelerator? Anyone care to enlighten me?
In eco mode you will get automatic braking and energy recuperation based on the navigation data and traffic. You will see information come up on the driver dash, for example about upcoming bends and roundabouts, and the car will automatically slow and speed up. You will see icons showing you when to lift your foot off the accelerator to let the car take over.

One note of caution however, I think this can cause the car to slow down say if you are on the motorway and the car decides you are on an exit slip road (happened to me) based on gps inaccuracy.

I've not noticed any lack of acceleration pulling onto dual carriageways, or overtaking.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,685 Posts
In eco mode you will get automatic braking and energy recuperation based on the navigation data and traffic. You will see information come up on the driver dash, for example about upcoming bends and roundabouts, and the car will automatically slow and speed up. You will see icons showing you when to lift your foot off the accelerator to let the car take over.

One note of caution however, I think this can cause the car to slow down say if you are on the motorway and the car decides you are on an exit slip road (happened to me) based on gps inaccuracy.

I've not noticed any lack of acceleration pulling onto dual carriageways, or overtaking.
You get the predictive braking etc. in Comfort mode too.

If you push the accelerator down really hard it overrides the Eco setting.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
You get the predictive braking etc. in Comfort mode too.

If you push the accelerator down really hard it overrides the Eco setting.
Do you get it in sport mode? I found the basic setting useful in the Golf most of the time but occasionally I don't want it to slow down early etc. Sport mode switching it off would be a great idea as it's usually when I'm in a hury that I don't like it interfering.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts
Do you get it in sport mode? I found the basic setting useful in the Golf most of the time but occasionally I don't want it to slow down early etc. Sport mode switching it off would be a great idea as it's usually when I'm in a hury that I don't like it interfering.
You can turn the whole predictive driving thing off in the menu, and obviously regen/B mode as well, so you can use Sport mode in the way you prefer.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
You can turn the whole predictive driving thing off in the menu, and obviously regen/B mode as well, so you can use Sport mode in the way you prefer.
I realised I could switch it off entirely, and have recently done that on the Golf, but if it was on in comfort and eco and off in Sport that would be perfect, and an easy way to change settings.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts
I realised I could switch it off entirely, and have recently done that on the Golf, but if it was on in comfort and eco and off in Sport that would be perfect, and an easy way to change settings.
I think once the software is properly sorted, you should be able to make individual tweaks in the options ‘stick’ and they will remain in the individual mode setting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts