Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've found a new fun thing to do with my GTE.
It's not really an eco-friendly activity but it is a lot like a shot of nitrous... No hollywod blue flames though.

So to keep myself occupied on the motorway, I tried accelerating at full throttle (no kickdown) in Hybrid mode, from around 50-60mph.

You'll gain speed an an OK rate as the car will just rely on the ICE.
As you are accelerating, hit the GTE button!
The change is instant, it will immediately apply full EV boost and the effect is.... dramatic!
I'd never pressed it while accelerating hard before, only in advance.

It's a nice way to demonstrate just what a difference GTE mode makes. If you don't use GTE mode often, you're missing a lot that's good about the car.

I found the significant boost effect can be felt at speeds above the max EV only speed limiter. Which is quite interesting. I thought the EV motor might be less effective at those speeds but maybe it's more of a battery saving limiter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tried this on my way home this evening pulling onto a dual carriageway! So much fun!

Interestingly, I know its not brilliantly accurate but I used the built in lap timer in my Advance 7.5's Active Info display to time a 0-60 run the other day on flat ground at around 27 degree heat - and even with the inevitable delay in me pressing go and stop - I recorded a 6.4 second 0-60 time - thats an entire second quicker than VW say! The GTE is definitely underrated by VW in terms of acceleration - I wouldnt be surprised if its been done to stop the GTE looking like a competitor to the GTI and outdoing the GTD?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried this on my way home this evening pulling onto a dual carriageway! So much fun!

Interestingly, I know its not brilliantly accurate but I used the built in lap timer in my Advance 7.5's Active Info display to time a 0-60 run the other day on flat ground at around 27 degree heat - and even with the inevitable delay in me pressing go and stop - I recorded a 6.4 second 0-60 time - thats an entire second quicker than VW say! The GTE is definitely underrated by VW in terms of acceleration - I wouldnt be surprised if its been done to stop the GTE looking like a competitor to the GTI and outdoing the GTD?
7.5 seconds to 60 is about what it will do with a totally flat battery. So seems VW have just quoted the worst case scenario. The official 0-60 measurement used by most places involves the car moving slightly before timing starts. So seems the best time I've heard quoted, 6.3s is very plausible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts