Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Haven't used my speed limiter much (2016, Leaf 30). It'll take me some time to get used to the feeling.
But, I have noticed that when you travel, say, at a constant 30, then the ECO indicator is pretty much full = good (popping out little trees regularly). But when you set the speed limiter to 30 and put your foot down (beyond what is required for travelling at 30) and the limiter cuts in, the ECO indicator drops, and appears to drop proportionally to how much "extra" you have your right foot down. But surely there is no extra battery energy being used when going 30 with constant right foot, and when plenty of right foot and limiter on?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Both limiter and cruise control reduce range in opposite ways.
According to Nissan, those are commodities that will use more battery.
I tried some time ago to get a technical explanation for it but didn't got anywhere. At least not in the UK and I didn't try contacting Nissan Japan.
I never use the limiter neither when I had the 30kw and not now on the 62kw.

My theory is that while you're depressing the accelerator more than needed you will be instructing the system to use more power while the limiter will cut the output to keep the speed.
If you keep the pedal always at same level your speed will vary depending on inclination so to keep the same speed power output needs to be adjusted.

I would say that works almost like when you accelerate and press the brakes at same time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I tend to use the cruise control most of the time except in heavy traffic or hilly country. I have never been able to see the advantage of a speed limiter over cruise control in the way I drive, it is just an annoyance to me.

With cruise control off on the modern car (particularly the leaf as it is so quiet) I find my speed invariably creeps up no matter how hard I try not to let it, it is just a factor of human nature so I use it all the time.:eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cruise is handy in strict speed limits: 30mph, 50mph in roadworks, and on M25 western section where speed cameras give Waze a sore throat with such frequent warnings. The limiter is amusing but not terribly useful, I agree. It might be useful, I suppose, where traffic doesn't really allow cruise because it would be cancelled a lot by slowing traffic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts