Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not long got a new nissan E-NV200. In order to maximise range is it recommend or not to use drive mode B, where you get more regenerated power, along side Eco mode. I don't mind having the significant reduction in driving speed and acceleration.

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
432 Posts
B will recover more energy when you take your foot off the accelerator at the expense of more of your speed. It is objectively more efficient to avoid slowing down and to preserve your momentum where possible. If you have to slow down then you're better off using regen than friction brakes. Better still is to avoid having accelerated in the first place.

In practice, using B with discretion only when slowing for junctions and roundabouts and sticking in D on the open road will save you a small amount of energy. However, with experience, you can learn to achieve identical efficiency in B and D by controlling the amount you ease off the accelerator.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,172 Posts
As above, but I like to use B on bendy roads. Its very hard to get a real life measure of relative efficiencies of these modes but I suspect the differences are negligible.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Don't look at B mode as "maximise range", think of it as a convenience feature. If you are in D mode and take your foot off the accelerator, the momentum will carry you forward as you coast to a stop. If you do the same in B mode, the momentum carries you forward and also gets "consumed" by the battery, but the consumption process isn't 100% efficient, so you don't get back anywhere near as much as you've put out. But in B mode, if you still lightly press the accelerator, you can coast as far as in D mode, but with no regen. Having said that, I use B mode quite a lot in start/stop traffic, roundabouts, twisty roads, etc - basically anywhere that involves a lot of acceleration and braking, because I can do most of my control using just the accelerator pedal and only need to move to the brake to do a complete stop. Both modes are useful and have their place, but you can get the exact same range in either mode, so really use whichever you prefer the feel of and work on your technique. I view it more as a "coasting on/off" switch (which incidentally my old ICE VW had as well).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't look at B mode as "maximise range", think of it as a convenience feature. If you are in D mode and take your foot off the accelerator, the momentum will carry you forward as you coast to a stop. If you do the same in B mode, the momentum carries you forward and also gets "consumed" by the battery, but the consumption process isn't 100% efficient, so you don't get back anywhere near as much as you've put out. But in B mode, if you still lightly press the accelerator, you can coast as far as in D mode, but with no regen. Having said that, I use B mode quite a lot in start/stop traffic, roundabouts, twisty roads, etc - basically anywhere that involves a lot of acceleration and braking, because I can do most of my control using just the accelerator pedal and only need to move to the brake to do a complete stop. Both modes are useful and have their place, but you can get the exact same range in either mode, so really use whichever you prefer the feel of and work on your technique. I view it more as a "coasting on/off" switch (which incidentally my old ICE VW had as well).
Very well described, thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts