Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, after 28 months of e-Niro ownership, I discover from forum posts and my own tests that there is absolutely no difference in the power on tap and hence performance, acceleration and efficiency (other things being equal) between all three drive modes. The only thing that changes apart from the display is the accelerator response. So use whatever floats your boat. We can assume that the Soul and the Kona are the same in this respect. But what about other EVs? Have you rigorously tested yours? Does it (rather than you) go slower, drive more frugally, in ECO as opposed to SPORT?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Some other cars do actually restrict power. The Renault Zoe for example has half the power to the climate controls, as well as less power to the throttle and a top speed of 60.

The EVs made by PSA actually limit the motor output completely. If you want to get the most power you must be in sport mode. And in eco mode I believe you only get a little over half of the max power of the motor.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
the Ampera remaps the loud pedal so it appears to be quicker in sport mode - there is no real difference as far as I can see just reacts quicker.

Reactions: TonyS

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,571 Posts
The Korean cars have other settings linked to the drive mode, restricting power used by HVAC for example though you can customise this. You can also set different defaults for regen too but fundamentally economy is all about how you drive. I spent a few months in eco but have settled on normal as my preferred throttle response, sport is too twitchy for me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
2021 Ioniq seems to provide more power (in addition to the throttle response). Haven't tried it in a true A-B comparison.

Plus there's that go-faster italic typeface for the speedometer. :)

·
Registered
MG5
228 Posts
I normally use eco but it you floor it goes to 100% boost like sports. It is just a different curve to get there. I think Kers is a different story as that returns power to the battery and again that's a different way of using the accelerator

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2021 Ioniq seems to provide more power (in addition to the throttle response). Haven't tried it in a true A-B comparison.

That's what I'd assumed in the e-Niro, till someone said otherwise and I tested it objectively for myself -- with several runs to get a good average.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the sharp throttle response with sport mode, just have to regulate your foot better. The other modes feel like your trying to press the accelerator through a pillow!
Same here, though I generally stick with NORMAL, as it won't default to SPORT on start-up. But now I know there's no need to engage SPORT even for a challenging overtake -- other than for the hell of it:cool:

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 2017, Kia e-Niro 4+
8 Posts

That's defiantly true for the 2017 Ioniq, it will not go to the full 88kW in anything other than sport, you can confirm this by putting the live power stats on the screen and seeing what the max driver power value gets to under full "throttle". Other than that it is just regen/HVAC defaults and peddle remap.

Personally, I always drive in sport anyway as I prefer the lighter pedal feel: why have power steering etc. only for your right foot to needlessly cramp up on long journeys?

·
Registered
71 Posts
In the Soul there is a definite difference in the throttle sensitivity and default regeneration between the modes.
In normal, lifting off will coast like a fossil car but longer, ECO has noticeable deceleration on lift off.
ECO+ limits to 60 MPH and turns off HVAC.

As others have said, driving at a consistent speed / power is the best way to drive.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
443 Posts
In the E-Niro you can set the default regen rate in each of the modes, generally 2, but they can be changed with the pedals. I've been experimenting with Auto Regen since last week, not driven far but can't say that I've noticed any great difference to be honest. Using Sport a while back I got the sensation that it was a bit smoother, but I wonder if all this is a subjective illusion. I've been driving in ECO mode since I got the car.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
In the E-Niro you can set the default regen rate in each of the modes, generally 2, but they can be changed with the pedals. I've been experimenting with Auto Regen since last week, not driven far but can't say that I've noticed any great difference to be honest. Using Sport a while back I got the sensation that it was a bit smoother, but I wonder if all this is a subjective illusion. I've been driving in ECO mode since I got the car.
Sounds like you haven't realised that "Auto" is NOT an extension to the 0/1/2/3 regen level settings - this is a very common due to the confusing user interface.
Auto on/off is an independent setting to regen 0-3. The User Interaface design of this is very poor as the "Auto" replaces the "Level 0-3" display when enabled, despite it being a completely different function.
When Auto is on, it applies increasing regen as you approach a car in front.
The number of arrows shown in the battery icon shows the current regen setting when white (duplicated by the text below when auto is off) , or the actual regen level being applied when blue (auto mode is increasing regen due to car in front).
Auto is toggled on/off by holding the right paddle for a couple of secs ( I think there is a menu setting as well)

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,507 Posts
The only thing that changes apart from the display is the accelerator response.
The amount of effort required to turn the steering wheel is also increased in sport mode. Same in the Kona. And the e-208.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,749 Posts
Sounds like you haven't realised that "Auto" is NOT an extension to the 0/1/2/3 regen level settings - this is a very common due to the confusing user interface.
Auto on/off is an independent setting to regen 0-3. The User Interaface design of this is very poor as the "Auto" replaces the "Level 0-3" display when enabled, despite it being a completely different function.
The number of arrows shown in the battery icon shows the current regen setting when white (duplicated by the text below when auto is off) , or the actual regen level being applied when blue (auto mode is increasing regen due to car in front).
Auto is toggled on/off by holding the right paddle for a couple of secs ( I think there is a menu setting as well)
The way I describe the Auto - regen, is "smart cruise without the set speed", as it maintains safe distance from any objects in front of the car.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
443 Posts
So are you saying that in Auto Regen mode I don't need to brake, the car will automatically apply regen to stop the car, assuming not ludicrous speed.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,749 Posts
So are you saying that in Auto Regen mode I don't need to brake, the car will automatically apply regen to stop the car, assuming not ludicrous speed.
I haven't been brave enough to let the auto-regen stop my car, but it will start braking and reduce speed if the car in front slows down.

What I don't like about it is that it maintains separation that is more suitable for the motorway, not city driving. It start applying the brakes wayyy to early.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the Soul there is a definite difference in the throttle sensitivity and default regeneration between the modes.
In normal, lifting off will coast like a fossil car but longer, ECO has noticeable deceleration on lift off.
ECO+ limits to 60 MPH and turns off HVAC.

As others have said, driving at a consistent speed / power is the best way to drive.
We're not talking about regen levels here but merely that maximum motor power and torque are in fact unchanged - that's the surprise.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Be warned, it stops working at around 6mph I think. It's up to you to stop! Only SCC will bring the car to a halt.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, that's exactly what it is. It simply overrules the underlying setting according to the behaviour of a leading vehicle in the car's line of sight (including parked vehicles - grrrr) AND uphill, level or downhill. You feel the effect most strongly with level 0 - my own preference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts