Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the day at the ExCel, and it's really heartening to see the buzz around green and low carbon technologies for the built environment. The future looks to be inevitable after all.

Heat Pump seminar about to start in the Energy Zone...

Reactions: brian orr

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
We are looking to move house and if we move to one with oil or LPG heating we will be putting in a ground-source heat pump.

Mark Tebbutt (Twitter: @mwt2008), a long-standing Leaf owner in Chorley Lancs, has installed GSHP and other tech to allow them to come off the gas main. Very impressive. I have been up to see it as a pre-cursor to what we might do.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are looking to move house and if we move to one with oil or LPG heating we will be putting in a ground-source heat pump.

Mark Tebbutt (Twitter: @mwt2008), a long-standing Leaf owner in Chorley Lancs, has installed GSHP and other tech to allow them to come off the gas main. Very impressive. I have been up to see it as a pre-cursor to what we might do.
I've had one or two Twitter conversations with Mark, and he's been kind enough to share some graphs with me around the performance of all his various bits of LC tech. Impressive stuff.

Good luck with the GSHP - heard a few interesting conversations lately around how to make the drilling cheaper - leaving the bit at the bottom of the hole, for example.

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
Why GSHP and not Biomass? not knocking GS or AS it just seams to me that everyone forgets Biomass

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Easier to run. No fuel to buy and stock. Cleaner. Don't know about the economics because it isn't something I would consider

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
GS and AS are more expencive to run than Gas, Biomass is cheaper. With Biomass today if you have the space they are ment to be very little hassle. With the pellet system they delivered straight into your hopper and they create very little in the way of ash.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, thanks. Not interested in burning things though :)
It is a weird one - at the event today, one of the seminars I attended was on incentives, payback and regulatory drivers of the Renewables Market. One of the speakers asserted that Biomass was the lowest carbon home heating option.

Seemed counterintuitive given that burning is indeed involved - so am going to look into Biomass in more detail. Currently outside my current knowledge base aside from the basics.

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
Paul you might have to burn something. I am working on an Eco lodge project at the moment and they (after spending 15k on the bore holes) have had to abandon the GS as the initial start up current is so high the off grid power solution won't cope with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts