Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my 'to do' list re tesla s chargpoint install, I called up my energy supplier - OVO energy (who are fantastic) - this morning enquiring about off peak economy 7. All very interesting, my standard tariff is c. 13p /kWh, economy 7 reduces this to c. 6.5p/kWh (with slight increase to 15p for peak use), and whilst they need to come out and fit a new meter, this is currently free of charge and includes provision of new 'smart meter'. Smart metering sounds very neat and remotely meters the gas as well as elec, transmits regular meter readings so you dont have the hassle, and all info is displayed on a hand held unit that you have in the house, including real time £/p usage stats. Apparently the government wants to incentivise consumers to upgrade to smart meter technology, so is free for the moment (but not widely publicised). Smart meter cost of provision will be shared out across all energy suppliers by way of a flat rate tariff increase (ie. everyone is already paying for it) - however it's up to the individual energy suppliers how and when they implement, and also what tech they use.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
You're very lucky. When I asked Ovo they offered me a two tariff meter and charged me £57 for the privilege. Still hasn't been installed – the man who came out said that the meter board has to be replaced first.

·
Likes talking about cars
663 Posts
Good to know about smart meters.

I looked into moving to Economy 7, but for me didn't have enough going on at night to make it really worth swapping, just moved to Ecotricity and benefit from their "free" £40/year towards charging. At least then I can be relatively smug and say my energy is from renewables when people mention coal powered stations etc.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,732 Posts
I have just gone to Economy 7 (or 8 hours as we get up here) as my monthly direct debit had more than doubled since buying the Ampera. I now run the washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher overnight too.
I should have put in that my existing supplier (Hydro-Electric) did it for free.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I want to move to Economy 7 and Ovo quoted me £57 for a meter change. Instead, I've asked them for a smart meter, which is free of charge and (hopefully) will then allow a move to Economy 7 via a remote configuration change.

I'd like to switch to Ecotricity when my current contract is up, but they quoted me £83.41 for an Economy 7 meter (for comparison I asked Good Energy and they charge £41).

Ultimately, I'm hoping that I can use my free Ovo Smart Meter with an Ecotricity Economy 7 supply as I believe they should be rewarded for their efforts with The Electric Highway. Really though, all suppliers should encourage Economy 7 as night time electricity is less carbon intensive.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ultimately, I'm hoping that I can use my free Ovo Smart Meter with an Ecotricity Economy 7
I have just paid the £57 for an E7 meter from OVO and was told that I could have either an E7 meter or a smart meter but there is no such thing as a smart meter for E7!!

So if you hear different please let me know.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just had Economy 7 meter fitted (e.on) good rates on fixed v15 tariff but not found on line.. Need to call them.
Waived £51 install fee, as couldn't give me even better v9 tariff I signed up to. Iirc 12p day, 5p night & 15p daily charge.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
We asked EDF to switch to E7 when we bought the Model S last year. They just came along and fitted a new (non-smart) meter. No charge was mentioned or paid, but no upgrade to anything smart was offered either.

Unless you have very unusual electricity consumption patterns it's a no-brainer for EV owners to be on it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
@AndrewR The Ovo adviser on the phone told me that with a smart meter, they could switch me to Economy 7 remotely without need for a further meter change. However, I've been unable to find confirmation of this online, so I've asked again via email.
If I want a free Economy 7 meter, I may have to temporarily move to one of the large, unethical suppliers, and then switch to Ecotricity, but this seems illogical given that one of the drivers behind smart metering is to allow tariffs to vary according to time of day.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why!? I was under the impression gov't no longer has anything to do with it. The "national grid" (http://www2.nationalgrid.com/) and all the energy companies are privately owned, are they not!?
It is part of the regulators remit to force the providers into cutting co2 emissions - there are big financial penalties if the providers miss these targets, however they've agreed it's acceptable to meet the obligation indirectly by incentivising consumers to cut usage by way of improved efficiency - which is why there was a huge giveaway of low energy bulbs a few years ago all subsidised by the energy companies (they were even posting them to people as couldn't give away enough in supermarkets). Economy 7 and smart metering fall in to the same bracket .. but up to energyco's whether they meet obligation in this way or use something else - hence the local variation in pricing policy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@AndrewR The Ovo adviser on the phone told me that with a smart meter, they could switch me to Economy 7 remotely without need for a further meter change. However, I've been unable to find confirmation of this online, so I've asked again via email.
If I want a free Economy 7 meter, I may have to temporarily move to one of the large, unethical suppliers, and then switch to Ecotricity, but this seems illogical given that one of the drivers behind smart metering is to allow tariffs to vary according to time of day.
This is what I was told - however Siemens, (who Ovo outsource this to) missed appointment on the 13th Jan and I now have booked for 24/2 ... so will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just had Economy 7 meter fitted (e.on) good rates on fixed v15 tariff but not found on line.. Need to call them.
Waived £51 install fee, as couldn't give me even better v9 tariff I signed up to. Iirc 12p day, 5p night & 15p daily charge.
Is your e.on Economy 7 meter a smart meter? I have them now (on v10) and it's a smart meter, but was going to change to an e7 plan this week.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Is your e.on Economy 7 meter a smart meter? I have them now (on v10) and it's a smart meter, but was going to change to an e7 plan this week.
Nope, unfortunately "smart meters, rolling out but not yet available in your area" (southern)
so I get fixed switch over times of 11-30 pm thro 7-30am..

FWIW I got the V9 tip off from speak ev > https://speakev.com/threads/night-time-electricity-cost.3938/page-3#post-47851

I think the V9 economy 7 tariff was a bit of a mistake by e.on .. too good to be true !
night electricity 4.83p, daytime electricity 11.854p, daily charge 16.422p, gas 3.906, daily charge for gas 21.903
and soon got replaced by v10,and now onto V15 ... but getting actual E7 tariff figures out of e.on is like getting a phd out of a worm :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice, I moved into this house just late enough that v10 was the only choice. :(

Rang up a little while ago and have to phone again tomorrow. I can get a smart meter, but they can't even give me an estimate of when an engineer can come out. If I want E7 sooner than later, I have to pay £51 and get a normal meter (have smart meter today). For some reason, the website won't show Economy 7 quotes for my address, but it was yesterday.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
For some reason, the website won't show Economy 7 quotes for my address, but it was yesterday.
e.On is one of the few suppliers that checks the national meter database when you use its quote engine, so it doesn't give you E7 tariffs if you haven't got the meter.

You can get round that by using any of the other comparison sites though, like energylinx or money saving expert.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks - yes that just have been what I did the other day. :)

Works out to (if I include VAT): 13.220 day rate, 4.998 night rate, and 16.32 standing charge. Seems work it to pay about 1p more a kW/h during the day for the savings at night if I'm charging the car.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Works out to (if I include VAT): 13.220 day rate, 4.998 night rate, and 16.32 standing charge. Seems work it to pay about 1p more a kW/h during the day for the savings at night if I'm charging the car.
Especially if you can shift other appliance usage to night rate hours – washing machine and dishwasher in particular.

It's a small extra price to pay for the convenience of occasionally charging during peak rate hours because you need the range and can't wait to charge.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts