Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

As I'm in the final stages of deciding if the Ampera is for me (changes to where I maybe working may be the clincher or the deal breaker) - so my final decision is a bit up in the air at the moment- so whilst that plays out I have a few questions I was wondering if you could help me with.

How many here who have Amperes have also gone down the Economy7 route? Is it worth it .... is it easy to setup. Or have you got better deals just by shopping around?
Do any of the green energy suppliers do Economy7 do you know.
Have you seen a noticeable increase in your electricity bills

One of the ways I'm looking at the Ampera is that I'm getting myself a nice car (which I will probably keep for 10 years) and pre-paying for 60k miles worth of fuel at the same time (at 2012 prices). I specced up a VW Polo with all the stuff that the Ampera has on it and after a discount it came to £19,900 ... a 5 door Audi A3 (again the same Spec as the Ampera) came in at £25,500 – so the analogy of a nice car and fuel combined works quite well for me as long as I can do most of my miles in full EV mode. So £33k sort of sounds about right.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Parker and Welcome to the forum!

I am on Econ7. We switched to E7 when we got the Nissan Leaf a year ago. We are on the New Energy Plus tariff with Ecotricity sourced from 100% renewables. This means that all our electricity for the car and the house are 100% CO2 free and from renewables. We pay about 16p in the day and about 6p overnight.

To be honest, it isn't easy to see if our overall electricity bill has gone up or down "like for like" because we now have an electric car (well 2 now we have the Ampera which will increasethe bill but we have had solar PV installed which will reduce it! However, we did the sums by regigging our old bills to see if they would have gone up or down if we switched and we recon that by time-shifting our washing, tumbledrying, dishwashing and immersion (when used) we reckon we'd save about 15%. Now we have the cars and charge them over night almost exclusively that saving must be considerably higher.

I don't think it is really possible for me or anyone else to determine what works for you. It is a very personal thing and we all have different electricity useage patterns and what works well for me might not work at all for you. For example, we are 2 adults, no kids and are quite frugal with out use. A family of 5 with 3 teenagers, all having showers, using video games etc would be a different ballgame altogether! :shock:

So do I recommend people go to E7 when they get an Ampera? I say that you might want to seriously consider it. It could save you a significant amount as it has us... but then again, it might not.

It was easy to switch. First we switched to Ecotricity onto the non-E7 tariff and once switched we then switched to the E7. They came and replaced our meter and that was it.

Economy 7 times are 12 midnight to 7am GMT so that is 1am - 8am in summer.

I highly recommend Ecotricity. They are easy to deal with and very professional. Check them out here: http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-your-home/our-tariffs . We have even switched our solar PV to them now too.

However, there are a few other "green" companies around... Good Energy being the other one I have heard good reports of. Check them out here: http://www.goodenergy.co.uk/

Be careful going to one of the big 6. They do not have the renewable tariff that Ecotricity and Good Energy have. I would avoid them personally.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Parker,
There are also dedicated electric vehicle tarrifs from many companies - the discounted rate is usually not as good as economy 7 but it is available to you for longer periods. For example EDF offer Eco20:20 which is a 20% discounted rate from 9pm till 7am on weekdays and all weekend.

We are a family of four and do school runs each day and parties and all sorts of other kids trips over the weekend. I typically use 6-8 kwh per day during the week and 16kwh per day during the weekends which means a daytime recharge is essential if you want to avoid the dreaded petrol. I have only done 1000 miles in my Ampera but in that time have learned that the choice of electricity provider is a tricky one simply because everyones EV usage is different but either way you are a winner at between 1.7 and 3 pence per mile for electric power versus 18 - 24p per mile for petrol power.

The Ampera is a great car, all I can say is get one.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Hi Parker

I agree with Paul C re being careful with the big boys. I am with OVO Energy who also offer a 100% renewable plan and (if it works for you) Economy 7. I pay monthly direct debit and they pay 3% credit interest :)

http://www.ovoenergy.com/

Disclosure: I get £40 credit if I refer you and you move to them. If you decide to go with them I'd be happy to split it with you (or anyone else reading) I'd need you to PM me your full name and email if you want a referal link.

BTW - I agree that the Ampera is brilliant I've now done over 2000 miles (lifetime MPG 107) and (touch wood) no issues except the headlights were not aligned correctly on delivery.

Regards

Paul R

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello Parker,
I am also with OVO Energy on their 'Fixed Price New Energy' economy7 tarrif which is 15% green sourced. I pay just over 5 pence on night rate and just over 10 pence on day rate. I mainly charge on off peak night rate which cuts a typical charge from £1 to 50 pence, a good saving over a period of time.
You can contact your supplier to enquire about the implications of changing the meter to give both day and night readings and then to work out the break even point as Economy 7 tarrifs are generally dearer on day rates. If you also change your habits of using more electricity at night rather than day then you will make further savings. I achieve 75% at night but I have most of my heating, water heating and washing, drying and car charging set to over night.
Sure you will be happy with the Ampera should you go ahead and join the club of cheap motoring whether on full priced or half priced electricity.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
For your info, I have imported from the grid the following:

Day tariff (16p) : 2272 kWh

Night tariff (6p) : 1749 kWh

This is what we have imported from the grid since April 2011. It is difficult to say what we have used because we have solar PV and that muddies the water a fair bit but from our graph for the first half of this year we use about 50% of what we generate and that saves us about 20% of what we use (ignore last year as we don't have complete data for 2011).

solar1 by Paul Churchley, on Flickr

You can see our live version of this here

·
Registered
99 Posts
hi parker,
just to compare I am with Goodenergy and have an economy 7 meter fitted.I have found them to be a great company to buy from. their rates when i switched were a little higher than the big 5, but have not changed in the last year and a half and are not forecast to change this year. The rates are
daily charge 17.46p/day
day rate 14.67p/kwh
night rate 7.29p/kwh

The above figures incude VAT at 5%

1 - 7 of 7 Posts