Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to do a 307 mile round trip yesterday.

Home to York to Newcastle to Home

Decided to do it as an economy run and try to avoid charging

Speed. Max 60. Lowest 50 in specs zones mainly 58 behind a lorry

Heat on at 19c

Left home on 100% at 4c

Got back after 307miles with 4% battery left and a journey economy of 4.7m kwh

Coming up on 61k on the clock. Seems the battery is holding up well

·
Registered
433 Posts
307 / 4.7 * 1.04 = 64 ?
Always better to under promise and over deliver. A less reputable firm would probably have sold it as a Kona 70.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Heat on at 19c

Left home on 100% at 4c

Fantastic! Glad that the Kona still performs that well after 61k miles..

·
Registered
Kona 64
554 Posts

Heat on at 19c

Left home on 100% at 4c

Impressed, Is that with the budget tyres you bought last year? If so I am truly impressed. Can you remind me about the tyres and how they have performed in the cold and wet.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Awesomr

Heat on at 19c

Left home on 100% at 4c

Awesome! Looking forward to trying to emulate that in the future.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It does

Heat on at 19c

Left home on 100% at 4c

it does beg the question for the money what would you replace it with? Model 3 ? Even newly launched vehicles dont have the range of the Kona.

·
Registered
17,417 Posts
It does

it does beg the question for the money what would you replace it with? Model 3 ? Even newly launched vehicles dont have the range of the Kona.
The LR M3 has a WLTP rating of 347 miles. I suspect it would do slightly better than the Kona in a similar test.

It is another £10k or so more of course...

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
467 Posts
Awesome. A good rider queston to this is suppose you travelled at a faster speed & charged, would the overall journey time have reduced or increased. I looked at this on abetterrouteplanner and it suggested
a) if you had a 60 max speed then you would need to charge at York at 24%, even putting in your 4.7.
b) if max speed was 50 then you could do the full journey arriving with 9%
c) rising hax to 55 you would arrive with 6%.
Of course abetterrouteplanner does not factor in lorries!

·
Registered
358 Posts
The LR M3 has a WLTP rating of 347 miles. I suspect it would do slightly better than the Kona in a similar test.

It is another £10k or so more of course...
The entry level M3 SR+ which is the cheapest Tesla in the UK only has a range of 190 miles and is £6,000 more than the Kona.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Awesome. A good rider queston to this is suppose you travelled at a faster speed & charged, would the overall journey time have reduced or increased. I looked at this on abetterrouteplanner and it suggested
a) if you had a 60 max speed then you would need to charge at York at 24%, even putting in your 4.7.
b) if max speed was 50 then you could do the full journey arriving with 9%
c) rising hax to 55 you would arrive with 6%.
Of course abetterrouteplanner does not factor in lorries!
Good point. On Youtube, Teslabjorn likes to drive down to under 10% and charge up to 80% or so. Out of spec motoring likes to drive down to 20% and charge up to 75-80%. The latter holds the record for the fastest journey time on a particular route. (Can't remember which route)..

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Impressed, Is that with the budget tyres you bought last year? If so I am truly impressed. Can you remind me about the tyres and how they have performed in the cold and wet.
Yes these are National Tyres Autogreen super sport chaser. !!! Terrible name but a good tyre. Better Wet Handling than the nexens dont slip as much on takeoff, and not as noisy, £40 a corder fitted. Done 16k on them so far and they are wearing at about the same rate as the previous Nexens did

Do have a donated set of Nexens to go back to after these wear out, but happily keeping them on for now

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It does

I ordered the Model 3 at the end of last year, but SWMBO and common sense kicked in so stuck with the Kona till a viable common sense replacement appears, so far not been able to find one.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Good point. On Youtube, Teslabjorn likes to drive down to under 10% and charge up to 80% or so. Out of spec motoring likes to drive down to 20% and charge up to 75-80%. The latter holds the record for the fastest journey time on a particular route. (Can't remember which route)..
Really dont know what I prefer I change my strategy day by day,

My favorite if using a 50Kw CCS is to get it down below 10% and charge to 92% (Where the speed takes its last dip down from 24Kwh charge) as it takes about 1hr 20mins which is my prefered break time for a meal and catch up on emails, That way I can do almost any day without resorting to a second charge, but the 10-75% strategy may well be the quickest as long as you dont run into delays at a charger along the route. With the network the way it is here I still like to minimise stops and fill longer to reduce hassle from out of order or in use stations.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Bjorn seems to have endless opportunities to charge, here not so much the charging rates penalise anyone for charging more than 45 minutes. So I generally charge for 30-40 minutes on 50 Kw charger, time to catch up on emails and find something unhealthy to eat and drink more caffeine

·
Registered
358 Posts
Really dont know what I prefer I change my strategy day by day,

My favorite if using a 50Kw CCS is to get it down below 10% and charge to 92% (Where the speed takes its last dip down from 24Kwh charge) as it takes about 1hr 20mins which is my prefered break time for a meal and catch up on emails, That way I can do almost any day without resorting to a second charge, but the 10-75% strategy may well be the quickest as long as you dont run into delays at a charger along the route. With the network the way it is here I still like to minimise stops and fill longer to reduce hassle from out of order or in use stations.
I've only had the Kona for a couple of days, so haven't gone any distance yet. In the Ioniq, I used to favour 20% to 80% which took around 20 minutes. Also, at 20% I had sufficient range to find an alternative charger if there was a problem. My strategy will probably change now I've got double the range.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts