Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an email that being an Ecotricity customer only entitles me to 52 free charges but I have not seen that on any previous communications.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,655 Posts
Just had an email that being an Ecotricity customer only entitles me to 52 free charges but I have not seen that on any previous communications.
The fair use policy of 52 charges per year has been in place since about a week after they first announced they were starting to charge.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,644 Posts
Yep just the 52 but that is 52 complete charges, one of mine stopped at 17mins and I didn't get one debited from my allocation, you get an email when one is debited and I'm storing them in their own mailbox that is backed up to my NAS and Google Drive and Dropbox accounts ;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Anyone know if this 52 per year is counted January to December or from a point in the year when you started your first charge or another option maybe?

·
Registered
244 Posts
As I understand it its the anniversary of your account starting or when charging first started if you were already a customer.

Easiest way is one per week but you do need to bank charges for long trips. one recent trip use 4 charges or 1 months worth.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes, I knew it was 52 charges too even though I'm not an Ecotricity customer (but hopefully will be soon once I move accommodation). Personally I think it's a bit low. I think they should offer at least double. Fair use limits should be such to avoid abuse, but someone could easily use more than 1 a week on average without it falling into "abuse". I visit my parents about twice a month and each leg of the trip I need to use a rapid charge. Therefore, 52 charges would only cover my trips to my parents. If I did any other long journeys then I wouldn't have enough allowance. I don't feel I'd be abusing the system so the fair use limit is too low in my opinion.

Given than Ecotricity are quite a bit pricier than the competition, I really do think they should give more allowance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, I knew it was 52 charges too even though I'm not an Ecotricity customer (but hopefully will be soon once I move accommodation). Personally I think it's a bit low. I think they should offer at least double. Fair use limits should be such to avoid abuse, but someone could easily use more than 1 a week on average without it falling into "abuse". I visit my parents about twice a month and each leg of the trip I need to use a rapid charge. Therefore, 52 charges would only cover my trips to my parents. If I did any other long journeys then I wouldn't have enough allowance. I don't feel I'd be abusing the system so the fair use limit is too low in my opinion.

Given than Ecotricity are quite a bit pricier than the competition, I really do think they should give more allowance.
They have to expand and also make a little profit to reach even wider community for reinvesting. From common man perspective, this explains what their future plans. 350 kw charging capacity or who knows when CCS forum comes by a mandate to be on frontrunner.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Do you know what prompted the email ?

Are you near to using all 52 ?

I've only managed to get one, and that was a nightmare (had to be started by their customer services, with them having me move my car between chargers). My app has never therefore worked properly and initiated a charge. Must try it one of these days.

Have never received an email "receipt" from them for that one charge, so I assume I still have the full 52 in the bank.

Have managed pretty well with PolarPlus, Nissan dealers and my home charge point so far.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
They have to expand and also make a little profit to reach even wider community for reinvesting. From common man perspective, this explains what their future plans. 350 kw charging capacity or who knows when CCS forum comes by a mandate to be on frontrunner.
I would love to know what their future plans are. They have installed no new rapids in 2016 or very few. They have no plans for higher power chargers that I can find. And their 50 kW rapids are actually 42 kW. And only 40% of their chrgers provide for CCS connector. Do you have any source for what their future plans are ?

Richard

Reactions: Phil W

·
Registered
486 Posts
Does anyone know how to see how many you have remaining? I'm an Ecotricity customer but when I installed the app and signed in with my Eco-ID it still asked me for a credit card :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would love to know what their future plans are. They have installed no new rapids in 2016 or very few. They have no plans for higher power chargers that I can find. And their 50 kW rapids are actually 42 kW. And only 40% of their chrgers provide for CCS connector. Do you have any source for what their future plans are ?

Richard
It would be interesting to see what EH does for UK when Europe will get the 350 kw in near future.
From the below link looks like the manufacturers are already in plans for launching this Europe wide.
New ‘ultra-fast 350 kW charging stations’ for EVs to be deployed in Europe in partnership with Audi, BMW and others

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,655 Posts
Does anyone know how to see how many you have remaining? I'm an Ecotricity customer but when I installed the app and signed in with my Eco-ID it still asked me for a credit card :(
Yes, that's perfectly normal. You need a card on file to have an account, so they can charge you when you need to start paying.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Yes, that's perfectly normal. You need a card on file to have an account, so they can charge you when you need to start paying.
In truth we all know them claiming to need credit card details is a lie.

If they've got their act together with their system then they can very easily just stop you getting a charge after you've used your 52.

·
Registered
15,332 Posts
In truth we all know them claiming to need credit card details is a lie.

If they've got their act together with their system then they can very easily just stop you getting a charge after you've used your 52.
What?!? Next you'll be saying it's technically feasible for them to charge by the kWh. :)

·
10,644 Posts
What?!? Next you'll be saying it's technically feasible for them to charge by the kWh. :)
You have no chance, EcoT are about as far removed from what the customer wants as it's possible to get, they have their own agenda which they are pursuing relentlessly, customers requirements don't feature in that agenda at all.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
EH seem pretty much in a holding pattern at the moment until they can get their snout in to the next batch of OLEV money. Shortly after they introduced the 30 minute charges period they said that adding shorter periods would be looked at, seems that's off the cards
Screenshot_20161207-103341.jpg

·
10,644 Posts
The only plans that I would like to see them make is getting a CCS pump sorted at EVERY MSA, it's not to much to ask from the company that keeps banging on about how they have a truly nationwide charging network, sorry EcoT we've heard it all before with mobile phone coverage and broadband speeds, until any EV can get a charge at any MSA all your claims ain't worth diddly squat :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts