Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

· Registered
9,330 Posts
Kevin has a list that flies in the face of that view.
I have only ever, in 2.5yrs of EV ownership, charged at one location with commando sockets and that was at the caravan site where we keep out caravan. If we didn't have a caravan then I would never have needed to charge at any location with a commando socket.

I for one want to get away from needing to carry around a crate full of leads and adapters and an EVSE in the boot. A Type2 cable is all I want to take with me.

· Registered
1,523 Posts
Guess you won't be one of the DIY builders we did the video for then. We know there are those it has helped. I for one will use mine at home mostly but some hotels have the commando sockets on offer in lieu of or as well as full EVSE provision, and I still don't have a type 2 to type 1 cable, as there is no point unless I have a type 2 socket at home. A couple of gallons of petrol over a few years is way cheaper, and that is how much it will save me over the cars lifetime, bearing in mind a 20 minute stop will add 4 miles range or thereabouts, and that's all I'm prepared to do en route. I'll use charging at destinations, and if/when I find a type2 socket somewhere I want to be parked frequently - then ill buy the cable. So you see we all have our different patterns of need.

· Registered
9,330 Posts
Rick... please don't misunderstand me... I am not saying they aren't helpful to some and I am not saying I won't ever use them either. If they help then that is great and now that you have a DIY EVSE it stands to help you even more as you can charge at the faster rate.

I am simply saying that commando sockets... in fact, any simple power sockets such as 13A, 16/32A commando... will not play a major role in public charging. There are less safeguards built in. You can easily kill yourself with an open socket. With a dedicated charge station that risk is much reduced as the power is not switched on until the circuit between the car and the station is confirmed by a data signal and if that data signal is broken the power switches off. It isn't a perfect system but in a public environment, particularly if it is uncontrolled, open sockets are not advised.

In controlled locations on private property then sure... commando is simple, cheap to install and reliable. I just don't see it playing much of a role in public access charging except occasionally for destination charging where there is no dedicated car charging station.

As for the DIY EVSE... my feelings on that are well known and I don't want to get into a discussion on that here (another thread perhaps ;) ) but no... I won't be building my own. However, I have no issue at all with you or others building one if that is what you want to do. Providing you are all aware of the risks and if it works for you then fantastic!

As you say... we all have different needs.

· Registered
1,523 Posts
It is an interesting topic as we bandy about figures like 32A,70A etc all the time with Ev charging in mind and all it takes is as little as 8 milliamperes across your heart to kill you. If you study and earth leakage trip specs the current it shuts off at will be measured in microamps, hence my confidence. Also human skin resistance is almost bound to reduce the current to below 8 milliamperes at voltages of 240v and below - unless moisture is involved which reduces the entry point resistance. 3phase can offer 415v and that is very much more able to create the lethal current, wet or dry, and I wouldn't want that in my home. Its the volts that are dangerous not the amperes, until the juice is inside your body. Whenever I worked on mainframe computer power supplies as an engineer on old wardrobe sized cabinets, etc. I would never offer both arms into the works at once without insulated tools in my hand. Current route down either arm but not back through the other arm is unlikely to stop our heart. Not many bits of kit had earth leakage trips back in the seventies, but the only time I ever got a belt, it was one handed and not really dangerous. Wouldn't want to do any further tests tho'.

· Banned
3,684 Posts
ISo why can't an Ampera use one of these fast chargers?
You cannot use any of the plugs that are fitted to the Ecotricity rapid charger because they won't fit into the Ampera :(

Get yourself a 'Type 2 to Type 1' cable (see here) and then search out locations with Type 2 socket Charging Stations (Ecotricity only have this at a couple of locations iirc).

· Registered
337 Posts
Thanks for prompt reply. Ok I get the type of connector bit but why cant you charge at 32A+ with the right connector. I was planning on a 32A charge station for home - is this not suitable?

· Registered
3,284 Posts
I am getting a type 2 to type 1 cable to open up destination charging more than anything else. I often stop for 1 sometimes 2 hours on my journeys, and may be even for 4 hours over the whole day, so I can see the option of getting at least one 'full' charge during the day (although split into smaller chunks) as a realistic possibility.
With Regis rolling out their business lounges to motorway service areas, the ability to grab 10-25 miles of charge in the car whilst topping up with coffee and getting some work done, and avoiding a queue of traffic, makes the whole system look almost appealing.
Now I just need a type 2 to type 2 converter to hook up to the ecotricity chargers in all the services :) #onlykidding

· Registered
2 Posts
I have only ever, in 2.5yrs of EV ownership, charged at one location with commando sockets and that was at the caravan site where we keep out caravan. If we didn't have a caravan then I would never have needed to charge at any location with a commando socket.

I for one want to get away from needing to carry around a crate full of leads and adapters and an EVSE in the boot. A Type2 cable is all I want to take with me.

Hi i have just joined the forum, I also have a caravan. I am awaiting delivery of Vauxhall ampera. I get a 5 metre portable charging lead fitted with a 13amp 3 pin plug. Could you tell me how I would go about connecting to the caravan hookup point. Many thanks

21 - 40 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.