Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,520 Posts
Which threads are these? Just looked, couldn't find them so have to comment here.
Good news and I hope Gridserve have seen this as a better investment than the super-out-of-the-way hubs. And I expect Hitachi finance came to the same conclusion.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,104 Posts
Which threads are these? Just looked, couldn't find them so have to comment here.
Good news and I hope Gridserve have seen this as a better investment than the super-out-of-the-way hubs. And I expect Hitachi finance came to the same conclusion.
My mistake, this is the first new thread on the subject, but all these threads have also covered it today.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 40Kwh
4 Posts
I have just joined this forum, I have had an EV for several month, I have had numerous bad charging experiences with the electric highway at motorway service areas.
I am pleased that Gridserve are coming in to knock things into shape.
I didn’t see any other threads on this topic, specifically Gridserve taking a 25% stake. Especially as this is hot off the press as it were.
Thumbs up to discussion starter.

I really enjoy reading the comments on this forum, I thought that I would like to join and contribute myself.
I hope I won’t have to go in front of a committee to decide whether or not I can start a discussion

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just joined this forum, I have had an EV for several month, I have had numerous bad charging experiences with the electric highway at motorway service areas.
I am pleased that Gridserve are coming in to knock things into shape.
I didn’t see any other threads on this topic, specifically Gridserve taking a 25% stake. Especially as this is hot off the press as it were.
Thumbs up to discussion starter.

I really enjoy reading the comments on this forum, I thought that I would like to join and contribute myself.
I hope I won’t have to go in front of a committee to decide whether or not I can start a discussion
Welcome to the forum, thank you for your support - very sorry that you have had bad experiences with EH, most of us have at some time or other.

It must be especially disappointing when you have taken the leap of faith to move to an EV - a bad charging network with poorly maintained chargers in motorway service areas isn't going to help with the general take up of EV's.

The naysayers love to seize on any negatives.

I have post more information on the above subject topic, here if of interest.

(2) EV News rides again! | Page 900 | Speak EV - Electric Car Forums

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that this has proven what we all have known for a long time now, namely that Ecotricity have been totally out of their depth both financially and physically with the electric highway. Now that the Dept. Transport are holding their feet to the fire and a sharp rise in more EV adopters who criticise and complain, their position has become untenable.

Gridserve are starting with a 25% stake, but they are putting all the investment into the partnership and taking over installation and importantly maintenance. It's only going one way, a take over by stealth over time. Ecotricity have nothing to put into the partnership other than the MSA concessions, which Gridserve will get through the back door. Good luck to them if they sort this mess out.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 40Kwh
4 Posts
I think that this has proven what we all have known for a long time now, namely that Ecotricity have been totally out of their depth both financially and physically with the electric highway. Now that the Dept. Transport are holding their feet to the fire and a sharp rise in more EV adopters who criticise and complain, their position has become untenable.

Gridserve are starting with a 25% stake, but they are putting all the investment into the partnership and taking over installation and importantly maintenance. It's only going one way, a take over by stealth over time. Ecotricity have nothing to put into the partnership other than the MSA concessions, which Gridserve will get through the back door. Good luck to them if they sort this mess out.
Thanks, I seen the posts on EV news rides again and the really good Fully Charged video. Thank you to all the posters on that thread who have kept me informed and entertained over the last year.

My main concern over this partnership is importance that seems to be giving to the installation of 350 Kw charger, they seem to me to be for the elite. What rank and file EV users require at motorway service areas are banks of 125A and 200A chargers.
I read on here before getting an EV, how bad Ecotricity were, didn’t fully appreciate it, until I had to use them.

This time next year I am hoping to see a major turn around, I shouldn’t have to leave the motorway to find an Instavolt.

·
Registered
297 Posts
For me this is good news, I am purchasing my first ever EV (Not a Tesla) and should have it round about July, I travel quite a bit from Essex to the Manchester area and obviously I have read about problems with ecotricity, and also all the different subscriptions, RFID cards, Apps etc seems quite daunting, but seeing the gridserve braintree electric forecourt (fantastic) seeing this news, and people praising the Instavolt network finally decided to go fully EV. Should I be scared or excited :eek:

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,104 Posts
Thinking about it, Ecotricity are still an electricity supplier.
Perhaps the contract includes Gridserve having to buy their EH power from EcoT?
Maybe that's Dale's 75% stake.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
My main concern over this partnership is importance that seems to be giving to the installation of 350 Kw charger, they seem to me to be for the elite. What rank and file EV users require at motorway service areas are banks of 125A and 200A chargers
... and I think that they'll do 2 cars at the same time.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
407 Posts
My main concern over this partnership is importance that seems to be giving to the installation of 350 Kw charger, they seem to me to be for the elite. What rank and file EV users require at motorway service areas are banks of 125A and 200A chargers.
Today maybe but mainstream 800V cars that can fully use them aren’t far away, certainly within the lifespan of a rapid charger. Manufacturers want to get there because charging time is still a barrier for many and it gets worse the bigger batteries get. They still do 150+kW charging for the 400V cars in the meantime. If you’re building new provision for the next decade or more then it makes a lot of sense to aim for where things are going.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Interesting timing of this announcement because there's been some other news stories this week that the Government is set to end Ecotricity's dominance of motorway service station charging.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thinking about it, Ecotricity are still an electricity supplier.
Perhaps the contract includes Gridserve having to buy their EH power from EcoT?
Maybe that's Dale's 75% stake.
That and the existing agreements with the MSAs to allow them to use the currently allocated spaces - along with exclusivity in some. Remember that the existing spaces are in pretty much all MSAs, so this means Gridserve gets a presence along the entire motorway network - something that no other charging provider is likely to achieve (except Tesla).

Ecotricity will probably also want to keep their name on them for advertising purposes.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,520 Posts
Sounds good. What I wouldn't want to see is Gridserve/Ecotricity sucking up all of the £1b proposed government funding. I would like to see the funding spread about a bit.
Q. What have Gridserve and Ecotricity got in common?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Sounds good. What I wouldn't want to see is Gridserve/Ecotricity sucking up all of the £1b proposed government funding. I would like to see the funding spread about a bit.
Q. What have Gridserve and Ecotricity got in common?
Most of that funding will go into new 11kv and 33kv links to the moterway service stations, hopefully the links will be sized to premit 50kw of charging at EVERY parking space. (power sharing will premit a lot more as many drivers will not need to charge due to overnight charging at both ends if trip)

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.