Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I want to be able to go over to Economy 7 and whatever future "demand-management" tariffs may become available in future I asked my energy supplier, Ecotricity to have a smart meter installed. Their contractor turned up, and more or less immediately said he couldn't install one because of the EV charging electrics on the consumer board. He reckoned that the best that could be done would be to have a system whereby I could ONLY charge the car during the night time rate period - midnight to 7 a.m. So I wasted a morning staying in for his visit.

I got in touch with Ecotricity about this, and had a pretty lousy phone "conversation" with someone on their smart metering team, who simply said that they would arrange for someone to come out again to do the job at a later date without showing any interest in what the electrician had actually said. 2 months later: no word from Ecotricity, so I phone up. Speak to someone on general customer services, who insists on acting as an intermediary between meand the smart metering team rather than transfering me to them (not a good sign). Once again I get a "promise" that they will be in touch to arrange another installation date.

Does anyone else have experience of problems having a Smart meter fitted due to a domestic EV charging unit already being present? I've searched on the Web, but find nobody who has had the sort of experience I've been through?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It sounds like the installer expects there to be a 2nd consumer unit for the 'off peak' loads, which only becomes live during the off-peak period. This is how storage heating used to be wired up when it was fashionable (1960's). It is completely irrelevant to your intended use while charging - what you want is a 2-rate meter feeding your main consumer unit and you (or the car's timer) take responsibility for turning on the loads during the off-peak period.

What you want is extremely common, not an exceptional case for EV charging (I have had it installed like that at three different homes over the years - only the most recent one being for EV use). I believe your installer has given you wrong advice, or else he has been wrongly instructed by Ecotricity as to what needs fitting.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Once again I get a "promise" that they will be in touch to arrange another installation date.
They may have temporarily stopped installing smart meters.

By this time all the meters being installed were supposed to be SMETS 2 but the date for the new meters to become available keeps being pushed back and back. It wouldn't suprise me if they've run out of SMETS 1 meters and can't/won't order more because they'll take months to arrive by which time they might be illegal to install or worse they might install them and then be obliged to replace them shortly after.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had Smart Meters installed with Ecotricity last January (so SMETS 1 : not sure if newer hardware that is SMETS 2 compliant is out now). At the time the installer did have to have a conversation with his Boss, as I was dual rate but only single circuit and he'd not had to install the hardware used in that configuration before. I think he said he had to fit/enable the relay for dual circuit, even though not used, to allow two rates on the meter. I believe he said configuration data was pushed from Ecotricity for rates / times (makes sense as it keeps up to date with price rises...).

I have had some problems. but they have all been gas related: initially not reading, then ok, then dual gas readings, now finally OK.

Can't see what difference EV charging makes, unless your charge point installer paralleled at the meter and there is a problem fitting two wires per terminal in the new meter? Pretty sure my garage supply is fed off the live side of the consumer unit (separate fuse / isolator), not the meter outlet.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Does anyone else have experience of problems having a Smart meter fitted due to a domestic EV charging unit already being present? I've searched on the Web, but find nobody who has had the sort of experience I've been through?
Back in 2013 I considered the British Gas EV tariff which required the installation of a smart meter. However BG were unable to install a smart meter for me as the consumer unit for the EV charger was in the wall cabinet and they said there wasn't room because of that. Instead they put in an Eco7 meter, not that it helped as it wasn't the right meter for the tariff! Soon after the rates went unfavourable before thy dropped that tariff so now I'm pleased I haven't got a smart meter after all.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm wondering why all the fuss. I've got a small consumer unit for my solar PV in the metering cupboard which is wired exactly the same as a consumer unit for a car charge point would be. It hasn't caused me any issues having smart meters fitted on economy 7 tariff - without an economy 7 consumer unit.

So long as there is physically room then the wiring for a smart meter is exactly the same as for a non-smart meter.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I'm wondering why all the fuss. I've got a small consumer unit for my solar PV in the metering cupboard which is wired exactly the same as a consumer unit for a car charge point would be. It hasn't caused me any issues having smart meters fitted on economy 7 tariff - without an economy 7 consumer unit.

So long as there is physically room then the wiring for a smart meter is exactly the same as for a non-smart meter.
Pass! Were smart meters larger in 2013? I've never actually seen one.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,955 Posts
Simple solution, Switch supplier and save money as well.
I've not been able to get a smart meter fitted since the beginning because I have a semi submerged (partly below ground) gas meter. I've just changed to OVO for their EVEverywhere tariff (for the Polar Card he whispered) and they contacted me within a couple of days, I told them my problem and a fellow is coming to fit a Smart Meter next Saturday. We'll see what happens. On the phone they said it just needs a couple of brackets. I suppose BG and Eon where just to tight to pay for them.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
599 Posts
I've got an Ovo Smart meter (day and night tariffs), it's smaller than the clunky old thing that came out.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
I'd check your phone bill to see if that call to Ecotricity had a £3 connection fee. They will probably even try charge you a £3 connection fee to get your smart meter installed. Bunch of chancers masquerading under a green flag that they are.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Since I want to be able to go over to Economy 7 and whatever future "demand-management" tariffs may become available in future I asked my energy supplier, Ecotricity to have a smart meter installed. Their contractor turned up, and more or less immediately said he couldn't install one because of the EV charging electrics on the consumer board. He reckoned that the best that could be done would be to have a system whereby I could ONLY charge the car during the night time rate period - midnight to 7 a.m. So I wasted a morning staying in for his visit.

I got in touch with Ecotricity about this, and had a pretty lousy phone "conversation" with someone on their smart metering team, who simply said that they would arrange for someone to come out again to do the job at a later date without showing any interest in what the electrician had actually said. 2 months later: no word from Ecotricity, so I phone up. Speak to someone on general customer services, who insists on acting as an intermediary between meand the smart metering team rather than transfering me to them (not a good sign). Once again I get a "promise" that they will be in touch to arrange another installation date.

A few comments:
I haven’t been impressed with Ecotricity so far, as far as the business (versus residential) service goes.
You have a right to a dual rate meter, they can’t tell you you can’t have one
Escalate this to a complaint
In fairness to the supplier, they don’t control the metering as it is done by a third party. That just means you have to keep hassling them to get what you want.
It sounds like the engineer who called just couldn’t be bothered to do the extra work required.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
No extra work for a dual rate meter.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
A few comments:
I haven’t been impressed with Ecotricity so far, as far as the business (versus residential) service goes.
You have a right to a dual rate meter, they can’t tell you you can’t have one
Escalate this to a complaint
In fairness to the supplier, they don’t control the metering as it is done by a third party. That just means you have to keep hassling them to get what you want.
It sounds like the engineer who called just couldn’t be bothered to do the extra work required.
Try not to book the visit for a Friday. Many of the operatives drive long distances criss crossing the country. They will, I have discovered, find any excuse to abort the job in order to get home before the earlier rush hour. The domestic meter services provided by third parties to energy suppliers seem in my experience to be shambolic. Little wonder our productivity in this country is so low.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I had this nonsense with British Gas recently trying to get an economy 7 meter fitted (a normal dumb meter, not a smart one).

Three attempted installations and each time they refused to install. After much back and forth, it boiled down to the fact that what i needed was a "4 terminal, two rate" meter, and what they were trying to fit was a "5 terminal, two rate" meter. The 5 terminal meter has a switched terminal which would usually goto a seperate consumer unit for storage heaters etc. The meter would bring that terminal live during the offpeak hours so the storage heaters came online.

Like you, they said i could only connect the EV to the 5th terminal if i want to get off peak charging, but that the charger wouldn't then work during the day. I asked if they could just connect the meter and leave the fifth terminal empty. They wouldn't do that either.

They basically said they only had 5 terminal meters, and could not install a 5 terminal meter with the 5th terminal left empty.

I've now switched to Bulb, and have a meter install booked for the 8th November. fingers crosses whoever they send out actually has the correct equipment.

the odd thing about your situation, is you have asked for a smart meter? AFAIK all smart meters are 4 terminal...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I had this nonsense with British Gas recently trying to get an economy 7 meter fitted (a normal dumb meter, not a smart one).

I've now switched to Bulb, and have a meter install booked for the 8th November. fingers crosses whoever they send out actually has the correct equipment.

the odd thing about your situation, is you have asked for a smart meter? AFAIK all smart meters are 4 terminal...
@Aragorn I am with Bulb. They use Morrison Data Services. I have experience of them. All I can suggest is that you e-mail Bulb and get them to make sure exactly what is required goes on the job card at Morrison's. That increased the hope that the agent will arrive with the correct meter to fit. All I can say is that I am up to visit number eight pending (five of the seven so far - no shows!) and three months now to do a like for like exchange of a faulty meter where is no space for a larger smart meter. It is not enough to require a dumb meter as it is your consumer right to refuse a smart meter, they will still turn up with the larger smart meter and instructions to fit it dumb. Bulb are OK but the third party involved - words fail me. Bulb and I will be discussing compensation for each failed visit once this is finally sorted out.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
i could have i guess would be a bit untidy, but i could maybe fit a DP isolator for the offpeak supply, those are fairly neat.

The main issue was the meter fitters kept telling me that only the things on the off-peak board would get the cheap rate supply. Then customer service was assuring me the whole house got it, rebooked the install only for the meter fitter to come out and say the same thing.

I suspect in part they're simply getting confused and/or poorly trained. In the older storage heater installs, back in the days of the black analog meters, they fitted a separate off peak meter (known as the white meter, because it was in a white case!) and this had a radio time switch and powered the off-peak consumer unit. Thus the white meter didnt have any connection to the main board at all, and only items on the off-peak CU would benefit from the off-peak electricity.

Modern systems dont do that, instead they just switch the whole house to off-peak, using a single meter with two rates. To facilitate these older systems, they integrated a 5th switched terminal into the meter to save the homeowners having to add additional time equipment to control the off-peak loads.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Even in the old storage heater install on E7, everything run on the off peak meter at night. The time switch switched the main load between the two meteres, and switch the storage heaters at of peak times.

There was a system when only the heaters to the reduced rate, but that was not veyr common.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts