Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long trip, lakes to Bournmouth. List made of chargers along the route and zapmap as backup.
First stop sandbach services both charger not working.
Next stop hilton park services, CCS not working.
Third stop cherwell services, CCS not working.
All ecotricity chargers, surprise surprise. ????

How are ecotricty getting away with this poor service.

Does anybody have the email address for anybody at ecotricity who cares about their business and the person who is in charge of the national ev charging structure, I presume the transport minister will be, i feel the need to complain.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,951 Posts
Do Ecotricity care any more? Dale Vince has moved on emotionally.

Grant Shapps is Minister for Transport - his contact details.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Long trip, lakes to Bournmouth. List made of chargers along the route and zapmap as backup.

Does anybody have the email address for anybody at ecotricity who cares about their business and the person who is in charge of the national ev charging structure, I presume the transport minister will be, i feel the need to complain.
Thank you for taking the time to complain, only if we all make an effort to do this will they improve, or be removed.

As for the useless comment, probably, why bother spending money to upgrade them to nice 100-150kW unit if they aren't getting kickbacks from Nissan/EU/UK gov etc. companies who want to look good but only really care about making money. At least with Shell or BP you know they want to make money, so they make sure their kit works, so it can actually make money.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,420 Posts
Might be worth everyone that has had direct experience of failed MSA chargers to write to their MP to pass it on to Grant Shapps and ask when something is going to be done.

Most sensible folk just don't even bother with ecotricity if they have a CCS car now.

MSA locations are flagship locations in one sense (although most MSAs aren't that nice) so they have to work.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,705 Posts
With over 30% of MSAs not having CCS and those that so being notoriously unreliable a lot of EV drivers must be avoiding MSAs, if the situation doesnt improve in a few years the MSA operators might start to notice a drop off in revenue. Other operators that are being excluded from MSAs are starting to put chargers close to motorway junctions so they are going to pull revenuse away from MSAs. Its obviously early days yet but with inceased EV ranges there wont be the need to stop at MSAs in the future so most of their revenue will only come from drivers of goods vehicles.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

[email protected] as well He runs the EH
Nothing has really changed since February 2016 when I sent this email to Dale.
Hi Dale,
I am writing to you to thank you for having the vision and creating Ecotricity and The Electric Highway. It has really been a game changer. And it was the reason that enabled me to buy a fully electric car ( a Nissan Leaf ). I love the car and the fact my old diesel is now no more. I will never go back to a fossil fuel car.

However I have had problems with the reliability of the chargers. I have had the Leaf for one month and on my first long trip 50% of chargers I have tried to use have been out of service. (Donnington , Leicester Forest East, and Welcome break Derby). I have been on the SpeakEV forum and ZapMap and it seems that reliability has been a problem for some time................

I also communicated with my MP, the then transport minister and OLEV and a few more.

Simon Crowfoot had the arrogance to say the EH had a reliability of 99.96%.

I just do not think EH is capable of changing at all. Many promises over a very long time. Only hope is the other providers expanding. Trouble is EH monopoly is blocking many from competing.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,420 Posts
Simon Crowfoot resigned from Ecotricity group a couple of weeks ago. He's still listed for EH for now.

Looks like nothing has changed in years. They were crap ages ago and they're still crap now.

Ecotricity group are racking up debts and each year the accounting report moans about how the renewable electricity market is too competitive (boo hoo) and that's why they're losing tons of money.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Drove the Zoe from Birtley to Scotchcorner, Type 2 AC 43kWh Ecotricity charger according to Zap Map marked red, comment was - connected but no charge, I take a guess that maybe I can get it to work. I have enough charge left to get to the next charger if I can't, challenge accepted. The charge head turns out to be very loose and warn so I hold it firmly into the charge port during handshake and am rewarded with a working charger. Update Zapmap from Red to Green.

Next Red Ecotricity charger is at Killington Lake, according to Zap Map, slow to charge, I take a guess that the complaint was from someone without a Zoe, I am rewarded with a working charger hitting my max charge rate of 22kWh, bonus is its on free vend.

When I chose the Zoe over an Ioniq or other CCS capable car I noticed that CCS seemed very unreliable on Ecotricity but AC or Chademo appeared to have less complaints, coupled with the fact that Nissan and Renault had a hand in providing the chargers.

Yes I know this sucks for everyone else with CCS cars that don't work with Ecotricity, but until a charging company buys out Ecotricity's charging business this isn't going to change anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
The charge head turns out to be very loose and warn so I hold it firmly into the charge port during handshake and am rewarded with a working charger. Update Zapmap from Red to Green.
It is great that you know how to find a way round a faulty charger. But for most users it's a fail. It would be better if you reported that to EH and they replaced the worn connector. Why change the ZapMap status it's still a faulty cable that needs repair ?

Reactions: DBMandrake

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Simon Crowfoot resigned from Ecotricity group a couple of weeks ago. He's still listed for EH for now.
Very interesting.

My dealings with him were very odd. Seemed more interested in his numbers than reality on the ground. I did find out he is non technical and more sales/marketing.

Big question is why he left if he is ? Does it mean the EH are on the way out ? Or will they try to turn it around ?

·
Registered
471 Posts
It is great that you know how to find a way round a faulty charger. But for most users it's a fail. It would be better if you reported that to EH and they replaced the worn connector. Why change the ZapMap status it's still a faulty cable that needs repair ?
An hour after I had changed it from Red to Green a fellow Zoe owner was thanking me for testing it and finding a workaround and was also charging fine from it. I was going to phone Ecotricity up and report Monday morning but we had a powercut at work after all the bad weather caused by climate change and so it must have slipped my mind, but being a helpful chap I will get round to reporting it, happy to help :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,420 Posts
@halcyonrichard

EH are losing more money than ever. Revenue is down. Group accounts were late this year. I'm not that good with reading accounts but I got the feeling the the group are refinancing debts to keep themselves afloat. They also have this stupid project they've sunk money in to that won't ever work as it relies on some solution to radar interference as the land I assume is too close to some MOD facility. They've written off some costs associated with that. Costs are up and there's a bit of extra revenue from a few things but the money they have in the bank is less than last year and I think the year before that.

Dale has 2 million in director's loans which is double what it was the year before.

They also earned £260k as a result of a legal dispute. No idea what that was.

I reported a broken type 2 connector at Rivington. I wonder if it was ever fixed? The edges were broken off and it was loose so you had to hold it while it first connected (!)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
@halcyonrichard

They also have this stupid project they've sunk money in to that won't ever work as it relies on some solution to radar interference as the land I assume is too close to some MOD facility. They've written off some costs associated with that.
The 'stupid project' relates to a 66MW wind farm on Heckington Fen - '“No construction of a wind turbine shall commence unless and until a Radar Mitigation Scheme has been submitted and approved”. The concern is that without a radar Mitigation Scheme, the proposed wind turbines will have an impact on the primary surveillance radars at RAF Coningsby; RAF Cranwell, and RAF Waddington. Ecotricity is currently investigating/trialling stealth turbine blades which incorporate radar absorbent material which can reduce the effect on radars by up to 90%. Stealthy aircraft are anything but cheap, but it would seem, from documents in the public domain, that Ecotricity is pressing ahead with its stealthy turbines.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
cotricity is currently investigating/trialling stealth turbine blades which incorporate radar absorbent material which can reduce the effect on radars by up to 90%
Not sure that is a very good idea. If the turbines reflect or block radar signals they will cause problems. Stopping the reflection is only one half of the problem. Absorbing some of the transmitted signal and some of the reflected signal will still affect the radar operation. I think it will be an uphill battle convincing the MOD that it will have no effect on the radar. Interesting to see if they succeed.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,726 Posts
I never plan to use their chargers anymore, CCS has always been hit and miss mostly miss. Fortunately with longer range car I can find time off the motorway if not passing a Supercharger.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Sandbach did you cross the motorway to use the New charger which is fine with all CCS vehicles i've seen on it?
And at Hiltn park i have seen the northbound being used by Ii3's, a Kona and Ioniq, so again and easy cross across the motorway.

Also Just before Sandbach there is the Polar units which are now Tap To Pay so easy to use and ive even seen a Model 3 on them.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
They wont replace a worn connector i can assure you of that.
They would rather close off the unit on H&S grounds...

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The 'stupid project' relates to a 66MW wind farm on Heckington Fen - '“No construction of a wind turbine shall commence unless and until a Radar Mitigation Scheme has been submitted and approved”. The concern is that without a radar Mitigation Scheme, the proposed wind turbines will have an impact on the primary surveillance radars at RAF Coningsby; RAF Cranwell, and RAF Waddington. Ecotricity is currently investigating/trialling stealth turbine blades which incorporate radar absorbent material which can reduce the effect on radars by up to 90%. Stealthy aircraft are anything but cheap, but it would seem, from documents in the public domain, that Ecotricity is pressing ahead with its stealthy turbines.
Nice to know a simple slow turbine can cause radar issues :D

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,420 Posts
Sandbach South are still covered as they've never had sufficient power. There is one new charger at Sandbach North which works. Other old one that was sort of working is marked offline so could be just free vend or a smoking ruin or gone.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts