Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm planning a trip to London from Bristol. Been told by partner and read some review that app and charger stations are poor but I have no other choice as its monopoly with ecotriciy as that's the only charging company that are at services along the M4. I'm driving a VW Egolf with current range of 100miles due to cold conditions.

any tips or alternatives will be taken on board

Thanks

·
Striving for a greener planet
358 Posts
Have a look on Zap-Map. There are alternatives in towns just off the M4. Swindon, Reading, Slough.
Not ideal but I wouldn’t trust Ecotricity

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
I'd use instavolt or engenie instead. Polar are rather ropey too. If you use ecotricity only choose places with a plan b nearby. CCS is missing from quite a few MSAs as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you use A better route planner your options are minimal. There is an Instavolt at Winnersh just off M4 these are very reliable but it is 85 miles from Bristol so would require a light right foot to squeeze as much range as possible. Membury services is showing on zapmap as working now. As said above there are other chargers but a bit of track depends on your time constraints and whether you like an adventure and adrenalin rush of pushing the car to its limits.
Good luck

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not sure why everyone is so down on Ecotricity, I must have done the journey from Stroud to London 20 times in my old Lesf 30 usually charging at ReAding and never had a problem on either side, now with the 40 I don’t need to charge but we sometimes stop for a coffee and again never had a problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not sure why everyone is so down on Ecotricity, I must have done the journey from Stroud to London 20 times in my old Lesf 30 usually charging at ReAding and never had a problem on either side, now with the 40 I don’t need to charge but we sometimes stop for a coffee and again never had a problem.
Suspect because you're using Chademo...it's fine. CCS is a different story unfortunately.

·
Striving for a greener planet
358 Posts
Ecotricity and Chademo is a completely different story to Ecotricity and CCS. I tried 2 CCS on the weekend. Both failed to even get to the plug in stage

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I don't know where in Bristol you are starting from, but from the Keynsham/Brislington area I drove back home along the A420 and charged at Lidl in Chippenham, before joining the M4 for my onward journey to Newbury. Incidentally, the A420 is a lot more relaxing than the M4 when it's busy :)

I agree that people report that CCS is very hit and miss with Ecotricity (and sometimes not even an option). Fortunately with a Leaf I don't have that problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did a round trip from London to Bristol at the end of November and largely used Ecotricity, was always at least one working Chademo pump for my IMIEV. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Suspect because you're using Chademo...it's fine. CCS is a different story unfortunately.
Ah OK - another good reason to keep Chademo going! Also some services (Oxford is an example) have a Chademo only charger. Never having used CCS I am not aware of the problems.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ah OK - another good reason to keep Chademo going! Also some services (Oxford is an example) have a Chademo only charger. Never having used CCS I am not aware of the problems.
Covered in other threads on the forum...but CCS is poorly served by Ecotricity in terms of number of chargers, and also the Ecotricity units are older machines which seem to suffer with frequent communication failures with cars. The CCS protocol requires a lot more "discussion" between the car and the charger, and it seems more prone to failure than the Chademo standard. Newer machines (e.g., those being installed by Instavolt) seem much more reliable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello I'm planning a trip to London from Bristol. Been told by partner and read some review that app and charger stations are poor but I have no other choice as its monopoly with ecotriciy as that's the only charging company that are at services along the M4. I'm driving a VW Egolf with current range of 100miles due to cold conditions.

any tips or alternatives will be taken on board

Thanks
A few pointers that hopefully help you.
  1. M4 has services between junction 12 & junction 11 for Reading, you can try the Ecotricity first on your east bound leg.
  2. If Ecotricity lets you down then leave M4 at junction 11. There are both Shell recharge and a polar rapid within half a mile of the junction. I think Shell is contactless. On the way back charge at Heston services westbound, if not repeat J11 option.
  3. The M4 is restricted to 50mph between J12 and J3 due to smart motorway roadworks, so your economy will be amazing for that 20 mile stretch of your trip.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
A few pointers that hopefully help you.
  1. M4 has services between junction 12 & junction 11 for Reading, you can try the Ecotricity first on your east bound leg.
  2. If Ecotricity lets you down then leave M4 at junction 11. There are both Shell recharge and a polar rapid within half a mile of the junction. I think Shell is contactless. On the way back charge at Heston services westbound, if not repeat J11 option.
  3. The M4 is restricted to 50mph between J12 and J3 due to smart motorway roadworks, so your economy will be amazing for that 20 mile stretch of your trip.
Hope this helps.
In another thread here, 4x 150kW Polar chargers have been spotted on the petrol forecourt of Reading services (westbound). Don't think they're in service just yet though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts