Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
4,013 Posts
My understanding is that it will. The charging point that I have had installed at my house is a 32amp but the Ampera will only take 16amp so there must be some kind of communication. Might be worth a call/email to someone, Ecotricity/MyAmpera to double check though.

· Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
4,013 Posts
Paul Churchley said:
The Ampera cannot use those 43kw chargers at all. They are for cars that have rapid charging systems such as the Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe.

Ampera owners can use the posts that are beside the rapid chargers though. There is always at least one post for AC charging... at the moment that is up to 32A single phase. The Ampera has 16A AC so we can use those posts.

You will need a new cable though because those posts use the type 2 socket. The Ampera has a type 1 socket. So you would need a type 2 to type 1 cable... like this...
Apologies from me, 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. Now a question, do these Rapid Charging points use a different type of socket? How would someone know that they cannot use one for the Ampera?

· Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
4,013 Posts
I have the public charging cable, at first I thought it was just like an extension cable with the same type of connector, male at one end and a female at the other. I now see from your photo Paul that it is the same as that so it must be a Type 2 to Type 1 cable. Is it a case that if the Type 2 plug fits into the charging socket then it will be safe to use? This is what I tried today and failed at, more due to the instructions supplied by Chargemaster which only covers the 13 amp connection and not knowing to leave it for a short time to communicate.

· Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
4,013 Posts
Thanks Paul, I think I was beginning to think there was as many combinations as there are charging cards. I have stuck with two cards at present Chargemenster (for Asda) and PodPoint (seems to be the one favoured by most councils here I believe).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.