Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completed a 350 mile return journey using the M6 motorway. I had checked the charge points at Gretna Green Services on the Ecotricity app and it was saying that one was down but the second was working. However, when I arrived their the second one wasn't working either.

I telephoned the Ecotricity help line and they tried rebooting the point but it seems that the communications side of things weren't working ( probably nothing wrong with the pump ). So, I was left there will little power in the battery and had to limp to the next available pump.

I think the app system that Ecotricity is pretty useless and not fit for purpose. I wish Ecotricity would bin it in favour of the system used by CYC/CPS (ChargePlacesScotland). The RFID system that they use seems to be foolproof and has never failed me in the past.

I have just double checked the Ecotricity app and it hasn't been updated to show both pumps are down. I have emailed ecotricity to ask them to update the app!!!

Its about time that Ecotricity had some competition on the Motorway Services because at the moment if the unreliable Ecotricity Highway seems to have more pumps with issues. I will now try and avoid EH pumps like the plague.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,260 Posts
This is a case example where I think EH should suffer a financial claim. They have negligently allowed the information to persist knowing it is wrong.

Did you try to reset it, or even just plug in if the comms were down?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked Ecotricity to try and re-boot it - they said they had but nothing happened at the pump end.

How can I reset the point myself?

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
In the past I’ve hit the big red button to reset it.

It worked a couple of times, but also did nothing another time.

It depends what’s broken I suppose.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,401 Posts
The only thing a punter can do is to pull the emergency stop and reset it. If it's lost comms then it should go into free vend so it's always worth trying the screen and trying to plug in and stabbing a few buttons. The DBT chargers are the absolute worst to use.

The other pump was reported in August. Ecotricity are useless. If the 10 day fix leads to fine they'll be bankrupt within a month as they're so slow at fixing problems.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the top right-hand side of the point screen there seems to be a wireless icon. I think that was showing red as if it was down. Will the pump work even if the coms side is down.

On the way south on the M6 I stopped at a EH pump that let me connect and charge without the app or anything else :)

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,401 Posts
It's supposed to go to free vend so you can plug in and start but it seems some don't do that.

The lack of comms seems to be a persistent problem with a lot of the posts on many networks.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,260 Posts
I've never been killed in a nuclear attack. Nuclear weapons are harmless. Can't see the problem with North Korea.

Is that the logic you're talking about?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Its concerning for myself as a soon to be EV owner how unreliable these chargers are. I will be picking a 24KW Leaf up soon so have not got a huge range to play with but still plan doing some long trips. I believe its good practice to call Ecotricty ahead first (as the app is unreliable) re charger status but this only possible up to 8.30 Pm ?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Surely they'll use the same data to tell you the pump is fine, even if it isn't.
As to 8.30pm. That's a little optimistic:
'To get in touch, just drop us an email to [email protected], or give us a call on 01453 761455 between 8:30am to 8:00pm Monday to Friday and 9:00am to 5:00pm Saturday.'

I will now try and avoid EH pumps like the plague.

I certainly do

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Every time an event like this is reported in here we get five people saying that they have never had a problem and they can't understand why we complain. Point >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>missed by a country mile.
Who was saying they’ve never had a problem thus far?

What we have been missing is another 25 pager on why ET are so [email protected] and how they should be lined up against a wall etc etc... :)

I don’t think any of the threads before have achieved one single thing.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Why is that? Don't EH respond to user input?
As far as I know, they used to be active on here, but haven’t seen anybody for a while.

My point was more that the situation around charger outages and problems with the app etc don’t seem to have got any better, broadly speaking, despite the many threads/arguments about how rubbish it all is.

So either, it isn’t as bad as the self selecting sample nature of such threads would suggest, or it is and nothing has changed?

I honestly don’t know. (n)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I honestly don’t know. (n)
Well The RAC report said at any one time 1 in 7 rapids were kaput. No where near good enough. And let's not mention the day we had alovelly time the day we went to Bangor.

Richard

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just for the record...

Never had a failed charge on the EH
Chargers without comms have always defaulted to free vend
I like their new pricing. I think it's well thought through and fair
Repair times for CPS chargers are *always* longer than the EH. Sometimes weeks, sometimes months (Balloch, Moffat to name just a few), sometimes never.

That is all.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I've had to be flat bedded away from dead EH rapids!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its concerning for myself as a soon to be EV owner how unreliable these chargers are. I will be picking a 24KW Leaf up soon so have not got a huge range to play with but still plan doing some long trips. I believe its good practice to call Ecotricty ahead first (as the app is unreliable) re charger status but this only possible up to 8.30 Pm ?
I called EH before I made the trip and they said that one of the chargers was working - that's why this whole situation is so annoying. I have emailed them asking them to mark the charger as down but I wont hold my breath in the hope that they will do this. Have reported it on Zap Map and put a note on Plugshare (its a pity we don't have just one website to keep an accurate record on these charge points. I wont ever trust EH to give me sensible and accurate information about their points.

I was a customer at one point in time but moved because the tarrif was expensive, I now pay 11.5p per unit. Even with EH's £40 discount and their 'free' use of the charge points, I am still in profit since I jumped ship - wont ever go back to them under any circumstances.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found the following on another thread:

"If you encounter the situation of an emergency stop on a charge point you can re-set the emergency stop button and recover the machine yourself, to do this you will need to:

“Emergency stop detected – trying to recover” – if the plastic cover is still in place remove this by pressing in. You can then reach in to the red emergency stop button and quarter turn this to the right. The button should then release and pop out. The screen should revert to the “welcome charge your vehicle” within a few seconds. If not you may need to press the button next to where it says “recover” on screen.

I hope this has helped and if you’ve any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01453 761 455 or simply reply to this email."

1 - 20 of 47 Posts