Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there was a surprise.

I called in at the Oxford services on the M40 for a coffee and thought I may as well put the MG on charge as I always follow the ABC (Always Be Charging) rule.

The Charger is powered off and has a fault. Spoke to Ecotricity and they said, yes it is broken. No idea when it will be fixed.

I am fortunate that I don't need the charge, but it could cause problems for others. I will mark it up on Zap Map.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The charger at Cherwell Valley was also out of action when I last went that way so that is leaving the M40 corridor poorly covered. Warwick Services has a fairly reliable charger but that leaves a big gap between the M25 and M42. I have been a defender of Ecotricity for a little while but they are starting to disappoint now.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Most of the Ikea chargers are Ecotricity and I have complained to them on Twitter that most appear to have a fault.
https://twitter.com/IKEAUKSupport
I can only assume that Ecotricity have only one maintenance team for the entirety of the UK!

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,212 Posts
Team? That's optimistic! I think it's one person and a van and the van is a geriatric 3 wheeler...

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I believe its a team of 2 and a Transit Custom thats not liveried up.
2people due to safety regs for high voltage and all that jazz.
Has the old 22kw AC post been removed from those oxford services now as well?

Think for my next jaunt to london i'll go the M1 route but was looking forward to an FV at beaconsfield again but hey ho

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,169 Posts
I believe its a team of 2 and a Transit Custom thats not liveried up.
2people due to safety regs for high voltage and all that jazz.
Has the old 22kw AC post been removed from those oxford services now as well?

Think for my next jaunt to london i'll go the M1 route but was looking forward to an FV at beaconsfield again but hey ho
If you've seen an unbranded van working on chargers there's likely more than one team. Every time I have seen their engineers they have been in a LWB Transit which is heavily branded.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,849 Posts
The RHS charger at Cherwell Valley has been broken for weeks.

I mentioned it some time back. It had been broken for weeks already by then.

EH know. They can't be arsed to fix it is my guess.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
764 Posts
My ears alway prick up when Cherwell Valley is mentioned, it’s my main stop off after 100 miles up from the south coast where I live, along the A34, on the way to the M1. I have noticed that one of the 2 charger has been down for quite a while now, which is to say the least poor when you consider these charger must generate decent income for ET, but they just don’t give a s#!t.
Next time I plan to drive on past Cherwell services, on the A43, about 8 miles on at Brackley, there is 2 new EUGENIE chargers at the Paisley Pear pub and restaurant NN13 5SZ. They are contactless or Eugenie card, cheaper at 36p a Kw And 24 hours access, so stuff you ET.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,849 Posts
@GOSPORT DAVE, I've mentioned previously the fine pair of 150kW Instavolts at the Shell garage in Frilford; for northbound, exit at Abingdon A415 and you won't miss the garage, on the main junction at Frilford, then head back towards the A34 via the A420. I think it might actually be shorter than staying on the A34 (don't hold me to that) and at certain times of the rush hour it might even be quicker. It would make a nice scenic diversion for you at that point in your journey.

Try it, and if you don't like it then I will give you your money back you paid for this tip. ;)

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
764 Posts
@donald, thanks for that, much appreciated, I will giving it a go, never given charging before Cherwell services much consideration before, as there was only ET at chieveley and this only 60 miles out for me, so too soon to do a charge. More choices now plus Instavolts are reliable and well maintained. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I always used to stop at Cherwell too as there was always one on Freevend and the good court had a nice Thai green curry with noodles ?
I'm guessing the Left Hand Side unit is not on FV either?

I think when a unit fails unless EcoT have the spares from a decommissioned unit then they just wait and replace the whole thing. It's a poor show but I can ubderstand the logic of not replacing just one unit at multi unit sites (despite them doing it across the country so far). The other reason could be supply. Everyone's after rapid chargers and suppliers can't make them quick enough.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts