Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Peugeot Ion. I have charged it at Ecotricity fast chargers before, in Chester, and in N Wales. They always seem to charge at about 100A.

Today I popped in to the Mile End, Oswestry services, to charge up there. I was only getting 53A.

Is this a problem with the car, or the charger? Or do some Ecotricity chargers normally give a reduced current?

I note that a Nissan Leaf owner checked in to the charge point a few weeks ago, and said they hot 100A.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I can think of a couple of reasons:

Cold battery

Hot battery (if you had done a number of rapid charges in a row)

The charger had done a few sessions in a row and was restricting the current to keep itself cool.

It's unlikely to be a permanent problem with car.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
How much battery % did you have left when you started the charge?

The Ecotricity DBT chargers will start off at 100% and then taper off as the battery fills up (this is controlled by the car not the charger) so if you started charging when you still had 50-60% or more left in the battery then it will charge at a lower rate.

On a Leaf, for example, it's more efficient to run down to say 20% and charge up to 80% as most of it will be at 106A, rather than trying to charge from 40% to 99% which will take forever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both.

It might have been a cold battery. I had only left home a couple of minutes ago, and it was cold outside.

The charge started when the battery was at 33%. It took 13 mins to get to 60%.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Probably the cold then, as eddiec says - was it charging at 53A when it started or when you'd got to 60%?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts