Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do we all feel about start a petition to ask Ecotricity to bring back RFID cards and charging per KW.

My problems with the current system are:

Ecotricty assume we can all use a Smart mobile. Wrong, 20% of people still carry a dumb phone and that number is actually increasing due to privacy issue associated with smart phones especially among people with a brain (most EV drivers).

30 minutes is sometimes not long enough meaning two £6 bill and sometime too long (just need a top up)
Charging per KW would sort both of those issues. If Pump hogging is still a problem set a maximum 1 hour stay, that should be enough to fill up most cars even the bigger ones that are coming soon.

The RFID system is simpler, the app requires more work and doesn't always work especially in poor reception areas.

£6 is too expensive for 30 minutes, 25p PKW is fare and would actually bring more money in if people did longer charges. (25p x 30kw = £7.50).

If enough people agree with these points then maybe Ecotricity will listen?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ecotricity can't charge per kWh because the chargers aren't accurate enough to do so. This isn't down to them not wanting too, they simply can't with the current hardware.

I think we should do away with the RFID card and app system and just put contactless payment on the front. Simply tap any payment card to activate, job done.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
Ecotricity can't charge per kWh because the chargers aren't accurate enough to do so. This isn't down to them not wanting too, they simply can't with the current hardware.

I think we should do away with the RFID card and app system and just put contactless payment on the front. Simply tap any payment card to activate, job done.
Not true. Go and check out IBIL DBT (the same as EH) units in Spain. They use RFID cards and charger approx €0.50 per kWh...

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
How do we all feel about start a petition to ask Ecotricity to bring back RFID cards and charging per KW.

My problems with the current system are:

Ecotricty assume we can all use a Smart mobile. Wrong, 20% of people still carry a dumb phone and that number is actually increasing due to privacy issue associated with smart phones especially among people with a brain (most EV drivers).

30 minutes is sometimes not long enough meaning two £6 bill and sometime too long (just need a top up)
Charging per KW would sort both of those issues. If Pump hogging is still a problem set a maximum 1 hour stay, that should be enough to fill up most cars even the bigger ones that are coming soon.

The RFID system is simpler, the app requires more work and doesn't always work especially in poor reception areas.

£6 is too expensive for 30 minutes, 25p PKW is fare and would actually bring more money in if people did longer charges. (25p x 30kw = £7.50).

If enough people agree with these points then maybe Ecotricity will listen?
You can't use the stat about 20% of the population not carrying a smart phone. You'd have to compare the EV driver population, which I imagine would be quite high correlation with smart phone ownership.

I mean if you're into new tech like electric vehicles, it's highly unlikely you wouldn't have a smart phone.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Not interested in the former, and - allegedly - the current chargers can't do the latter.

Ecotricity assume we can all use a Smart mobile. Wrong, 20% of people still carry a dumb phone and that number is actually increasing due to privacy issue associated with smart phones especially among people with a brain (most EV drivers).
Where'd you hear this? The Daily Mail? Can you please let us know your source for this statement? By the way, the polite name for dumbphones is 'feature phones.' :)

Me, if I was dissatisfied with the current arrangement, I'd ask them politely to install WiFi hotspots on their chargers so that reception is guaranteed and not dependent upon credit. That seems to me the most cost-effective enhancement.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not true. Go and check out IBIL DBT (the same as EH) units in Spain. They use RFID cards and charger approx €0.50 per kWh...
Perhaps their energy regulator has different requirements on the accuracy of unit measurements? Just a wild stab in the dark, but just because something is legal in one country, it doesn't mean it's legal in another.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Perhaps their energy regulator has different requirements on the accuracy of unit measurements? Just a wild stab in the dark, but just because something is legal in one country, it doesn't mean it's legal in another.
My local CYC rapid is a DBT which looks identical to EH ones. That charges per kw ?. If you charged per kw you would need some means of getting people off the chargers rather than leaving them to continue for hours at 3kw.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
Yes. It might be a legal issue, rather than a technical one.

But I buy my electricity from Ecotricity, so not sure why they'd find it a problem to 'sell by the kWh'.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
There are CYC managed DBT chargers (externally identical to the EH ones) in London which are billed by the kWh, so they definitely can do it.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I've seen several DBT chargers that simply had broken meters, at the end of the charge it always read 0kWh. Obviously, this is a fault, and after a few long duration charge session usage records flowing into the backend at 0kWh, it should highlight a problem, and a problem report automatically raised for an engineer visit.
This is, I think, how CYC, Chargemaster, and other operators handle the problem with faulty meters on DBT (and other) chargers. For CYC, who actually pay most of the income from a charge point to the charge point owner, this is important, because the charge point owner still owes their energy provider at the utility meter. Chargemaster obfuscates these costs a bit more.

For Ecotricity, it's never been that important to have per-session metering working, because there's utility metering anyway further upstream, and they're effectively selling power at wholesale prices to another division of the same group of companies.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I think it's easier to just not use them instead. They don't offer a service of the standard some of us want so why waste time over them? They know what the problems are. They don't want to do anything or claim they can't. They have promised some changes and none of them have actually been delivered yet.

If they don't offer a decent service it is better not to bother with them and use the charge point providers that offer better support levels. Vote with your wallet. Support the companies that are providing what you want.

Quick email to say that when they offer whatever it is then you'll use them but until then you won't they'll soon see how many people (it may not be enough to make them even care) are choosing to stay away.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
I think it's easier to just not use them instead. They don't offer a service of the standard some of us want so why waste time over them? They know what the problems are. They don't want to do anything or claim they can't. They have promised some changes and none of them have actually been delivered yet.

If they don't offer a decent service it is better not to bother with them and use the charge point providers that offer better support levels. Vote with your wallet. Support the companies that are providing what you want.

Quick email to say that when they offer whatever it is then you'll use them but until then you won't they'll soon see how many people (it may not be enough to make them even care) are choosing to stay away.
If users of free charging subsequently boycott the paid service, how would EH even notice?

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
They are about 200-250 paid charges a day. That's £1200-£1500 a day.

I don't know how they account for the 'free' charges from their own customers. They are doing about 500 a day.

I think they'd notice it in the pocket if the genuine paid for charges reduce.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.