Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, newbie question alert. I've charged up 10 times now at various Electric Highway rapid chargers, the latest being at Ikea MK this evening. My Leafs battery was at 5 bars on the dash. I checked the charger was set to 80% and set it charging. The charger said the battery was at 43%. I then went to pick a few bits and got back 20 mins later to find the charger at 98%.

What am I missing here? I thought it was supposed to stop at 80%. The same thing happened at Fleet services at the weekend, but seems to work OK at Toddington services.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I don't think anyone had a definitive answer. Some stop at 80% and there's nothing you can do about it, while since will let you set a charge level. Some will only charge for a set time (40 minutes, for example). Others - or so it seems - will charge above 80% only if you arrive at the charger with more then 50% in your car...

I'm sure there is logic somewhere, but I don't think any of us have worked it out yet.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am assuming you have a Leaf?

I always use the 'standard charge' option. If the RC shows that you are less than 50%, then the charge will stop at 90% on the charger - but this roughly equates to 80% on the car.

If the initial RC reading is above 50% then the RC will continue on to 100%, but I have never let it run that long. I believe there is also a time limit of one hour, when it will stop whatever the percentage.

That always works for me, including the Fleet RCs, but it does seem at variance to your example! But I do only use the 'standard charge' option. .

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I hear this theory many times but this is not my experience at all, not least because the rapid charger value and my car value read the same. I've had this conversation with @Paul_Churchley on here too, and shown photos etc to give "real" examples. I plug in low and it'll charge up to and beyond 90... Which is nice. Takes some time though!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Odd - my Leaf is 2013, last of the Japanese. And it's very consistent. I have stood and watched it stop the moment the RC hits 90% - or not stop if the initial charge was showing on the RC as above 50%.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Odd - my Leaf is 2013, last of the Japanese. And it's very consistent. I have stood and watched it stop the moment the RC hits 90% - or not stop if the initial charge was showing on the RC as above 50%.
UK LEAF here, which is what may be the difference, some fettling of these things is quite likely over time I guess.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I've got a 2011 Gen1 Leaf. I'll be shooting past Rothersthorpe Services at the weekend. Batteries should be well below 50% by then, but on the way back it'll be well over 50%. So I'll have the opportunity to test it in both cases. I'll report back on Monday!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts