Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered if anyone has information about charger usage since they started the charging for charging. I think the current scheme is unpleasant and is very expensive not to mention having to use an app to make it work. This is not clever, I don't use a smart phone and so it's difficult to use, I avoid Ecotricity unless I really have to use them.

I bed their pump usage figures have dropped really low.

What do we think they should do to improve? 25p Per KW, maximum 45 minutes seems fair. RFID OR phone would be sensible.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
500 charges a day across the entire network, including free and paid for ones from what others have said. When it was all free it was 1500 roughly a day.

The fully charged post charging episode put it at one or two charges a day per charger.

It would be interesting to find out the paid vs the free charges ratio.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,597 Posts
What do we think they should do to improve? 25p Per KW, maximum 45 minutes seems fair. RFID OR phone would be sensible.

Ecotricity don't do sensible, given their lack of expansion in 2016 they appear to have lost all interest, probably not the cash cow they envisaged, it has served it's function and they are now just going to use it as a very small cash cow with minimal support.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Not to appear rude, but I take it you've not seen the myriad other threads on this subject?
This subject has been mentioned on this forum ? Must've missed it, and I've been a member for quite sometime.

Had a look at Tesla's website yesterday. Apparently they have a new car coming out in the next couple of years.
Naming it the Model 3.

Not seen any mention of it on this forum.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
To be fair to ET, they did put their shoulder behind a rapid charging network when nobody else would.

It's time for others (both private and govt.) to do their bit I think.

Blaming one company who actually did something (when they didn't have to) for all the ills of the UKs charging infrastructure seems a bit perverse.

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
This subject has been mentioned on this forum ? Must've missed it, and I've been a member for quite sometime.

Had a look at Tesla's website yesterday. Apparently they have a new car coming out in the next couple of years.
Naming it the Model 3.

Blimey, so they are!

What happened to Models 1 and 2 by the way?

·
Registered
12,834 Posts

Naming it the Model 3.

Next you'll be telling me Disraeli is not the PM!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
500 charges a day across the entire network, including free and paid for ones from what others have said. When it was all free it was 1500 roughly a day.

The fully charged post charging episode put it at one or two charges a day per charger.

It would be interesting to find out the paid vs the free charges ratio.
Nearer 800 than 500.

From 26th August to 20th October the numbers on the free-charge receipts went from 64193 up to 95777 which is about 564 free charges per day. From 21st September to 26th October the paid-charge receipt numbers went from 354145 to 362265 or an average of 246 paid charges per day.

Also late September/early October I was monitoring use of a few of the pumps. Unlike the receipt calculations my numbers are just estimates but they came out pretty much the same, so I'm confident that you can take the end part of the receipt numbers as simply counting the number of free or paid charges (i.e. it does not have a check digit as certain people think).

Of course since then the Ikea pumps have started charging as well so the paid use may have increased somewhat with a corresponding drop in free use.

246 paid charges a day is a bit over half a million pounds per year. Possibly a bit less when people phone up to complain the charge cut out part way and they'd like a refund.

Also there are other 'free' charges when the pumps lose connectivity and go into free vend mode. I can't think of any way of estimating how often this happens, but so far I've had a couple of charges that way which don't count against my 52 'free' per year so it's not uncommon.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
So it's about a 50% drop.

I wonder if sites with poor mobile data coverage have shown a bigger drop off in use?
Unless someone has a list of sites with poor mobile data coverage, and knows how much they were used before, I don't think we'll get an answer to that one. They might even show less of a drop because poor mobile coverage could imply more free vends.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Blaming one company who actually did something (when they didn't have to) for all the ills of the UKs charging infrastructure seems a bit perverse.
It's is in EH favour that Dale & co took the time and effort to create the network. What I think that so many people are annoyed about, myself included, is that in a 48 hour period they whipped the rug from under our feet. We went from having a network that would allow travel from Lands End to John a Groats and Bristol to Skegness. To one that you can only reasonably use if you have rapid charging capabilities.

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
It's is in EH favour that Dale & co took the time and effort to create the network. What I think that so many people are annoyed about, myself included, is that in a 48 hour period they whipped the rug from under our feet. We went from having a network that would allow travel from Lands End to John a Groats and Bristol to Skegness. To one that you can only reasonably use if you have rapid charging capabilities.
Yes, as a now PHEV owner I can sympathise with that view.

I'd like a few more 'slow' chargers about the place, but not necessarily at major service areas.

7 kw posts would benefit a lot of current EVs.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I asked Simon Crowfoot (at Malvern) about this and explained to him the predicament that Zoe and similar owners would have. He was very terse and unsympathetic and stated that the 7 kw posts would be removed to increase the number of rapids. I was told that slow chargers (EV) do not fit in with their scheme for charging (there's no money in it).

It is noted that EH said at the time that alternative charging (for charging) structures would be looked into. That position has now changed to - we have no plans at the moment for alternatives.

·
Atilla
299 Posts
First, respect to EH for building the Mway/trunk network at all. I'm sure there was funding support, but nobody else did it.
Second, I posted this on another thread but it fits on this new one:
The May performance press release isn't listed on the 2016 page, but it is here
Major changes in Electric Highway as revolution continues at pace - News - Ecotricity

EH said:
  • May 2016 was the busiest month of all time on the network. During the month, the Electric Highway powered 2,170,625 miles with 10,121 customers powering their cars with 347.3MWh of electricity through 43,211 separate charges. That’s the equivalent of having a car charging during every minute of every day throughout the month
  • 38,537 customers currently hold Electric Highway cards
GooglePlay lists 5000 Android App downloads, to which the iPhone users should be added. Doesn't look promising against the 38,000 cards in circulation in May. AFAIK EH have not issued usage stats since this release.

We haven't taken the risk and take the ICE on long journeys now. We'd switch domestic zap to Ecotricity but the premium is about £250 pa over our green tariff so that's a non-starter. Anyway, it's not the cash but the risk of not getting a charge that puts us off. We need them at the weekend, when there is no support available.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
A lot of those cards will be owned by outlander drivers that weren't wanted on the EH.

38000 to 5000 users is a bit bad. There must be more surely? I wonder how many of those have actually had a charge?

·
Atilla
299 Posts
7 kw posts would benefit a lot of current EVs.
For destination chargers where the car is parked for a few hours, 7kW is ideal. As battery capacities grow and charger costs fall 7kW will be good for car parks/hotels etc. Also, the same connectors can use a 3 phase 22kW supply, which most commercial locations have. Meanwhile, Leicester have it right - there are 80 free 3kW (13Amp) sockets/spaces in the multi-story, which give a useful charge if you stay long enough to make it worth the operator's effort. The cost of installing a 13A socket is comparatively minimal.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts