Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Leave in a Leaf
492 Posts
I've found the Contigo Byron 16oz, it keeps my coffee hot for hours and is without doubt the best travel mug I've ever owned
But you still have to fill it up in the morning before you leave. I've heard that Toyota are bringing out a 'self charging' coffee mug that fills itself up. I'll be buying one of those !:D:D

·
Lesser-Known Member
199 Posts
Is it bearing a grudge to say VW are proven cheats and liars?
Nope, it's in the company's DNA. Their foundation is Ferdinand Porsche stealing Tatra designs for his chummy Adolf to create Wehrmacht's Kübelwagen/VW Beetle/Porsche 911.

That just propagates the myth among ICErs that EV drivers are mostly Vegan tree-huggers.
I'm typing this munching on beef jerkies!

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I don't understand the deal with Ikea either, I charged with the Type 2 (because there is no CCS) at MK, got charged 86p then Ikea gave me £6 off my shopping, I ended up paying £1.18 for a few bits and bobs, I'm not complaining but it doesn't make sense, I am an EcoT customer so already get half price leccy anyway, very bizarre but a happy bizarre for me:D
That's insane. Did Ikea not get the memo that EH no longer charge £6 per session ? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
For those with an FT subscription...

Subscribe to read | Financial Times
Or just use the time honoured technique of doing a Google search for the exact title of the story with the words financial times to get a link from Google that can be read without a subscription... ;)

Google search for "UK pioneer of electric car charging points faces barrage of criticism financial times".

Click on the first ft.com search result...

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Yet he can use a contactless card...yeah I've seen such drivers in ipaces... The basic charging between CCS and type 2 confuses them enough! Also seen contactless confound people at Instavolt units for a few minutes... Most entertaining and when it gets to 5minutes I offer help :)
Wow.

Holding a debit/credit card against an Instavolt machine is about as easy as it could possibly get (other than Tesla style just plug in) so how do these people manage to pay for their petrol I wonder when that usually requires a pin ? :confused:

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Wow.

Holding a debit/credit card against an Instavolt machine is about as easy as it could possibly get (other than Tesla style just plug in) so how do these people manage to pay for their petrol I wonder when that usually requires a pin ? :confused:
Oh I really don't know. I seem to attract them. I'll pull up start charging and some newbie comes along and spends 10mins trying to charge and then disturbs me while I'm youtubing... I think I'll write up a guide at some point in work for how to use CCS & Chademo for newbs and print some copies off and just hand it to them!! Never happens with AC really

·
Registered
409 Posts
Surely the point is, you can only sell a product and make money if it’s half decent and works. CCS chargers are a joke up to now. Missing from many MSAs and fail on others. This results in potential customers voting with their feet.

When I started driving electric 28 months ago, I assumed that I could just stop at an EH charger in an MSA and it would work. Now I don’t bother, I look elsewhere for Polar or Insta.
Ditto, used EH quite a bit in 2017 with my I3 Rex, was very hit or miss. Didn't use them once in 2018 with my Leaf 40kw.

95% of my charging was via the ever growing 11p kwh polar plus network.

·
Registered
Ioniq
566 Posts
Did Ikea not get the memo that EH no longer charge £6 per session ?
At Ikea Wednesbury today they only discounted the value on the EH receipt, not the full £6; this seems eminently sensible.

(It's a good job the EH emails come through quickly, when you stop the charge in the app when you're already in the queue and just hope it all happens before you get to the checkout :) )

·
Registered
470 Posts
At Ikea Wednesbury today they only discounted the value on the EH receipt, not the full £6; this seems eminently sensible.
Yet at Reading they gave the full £6 last week. The till operator checked the date of the emailed receipt, but not the value.

This week they said you can only use the discount against furniture or hardware, not items from the deli :)

PS - last week there was a Leaf parked at the chargers, just using it as convenient parking, wasn't charging. This week was worse, two large vans simply parked in the EV spaces as the ground floor was otherwise full.

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
Fastned now back online...

"Following the advice of our cable manufacturer, last weekend we switched off the CCS outlets of our 175 kW chargers because of a potential safety issue. As you can hopefully understand, safety always comes first.

In the last days the manufacturer has carried out additional tests to exclude this possible safety issue. This morning the manufacturer reconfirmed that the cables meet all safety standards. Therefore all CCS outlets of our 175 kW chargers are switched on again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Happy fast charging!"

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
In the past few days, I have paid for a coffee at a vending machine and a £2 pressure hose at the garage using contactless. This excuse of it not being cost effective does not wash (pressure hose pun not intended). Stick a min vend of £2 on (8kWh ish). Not many will want a smaller splash than that before they dash.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
If I understand it correctly the "cost" issue with contactless payment is that standard terminals and software can't cope with removing money from the card, at times other then when the card is used. But the cost of the charge is not known until the charge ends.

·
Registered
15,403 Posts
If I understand it correctly the "cost" issue with contactless payment is that standard terminals and software can't cope with removing money from the card, at times other then when the card is used. But the cost of the charge is not known until the charge ends.
Then it's simple - tap in to start the charge, and it deducts a small nominal charge.

Tap out to finish, it deducts the remaining money.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
This isn't correct. The terminals used by both Chargemaster on their Ultrachargers and by Efacec on their QC45 rapids are standard vending machine-type terminals. They can authorise a larger than required amount when the card is presented and then settle the actual amount at the end of the charge. A very normal scenario, nothing at all unusual.

The 'cost' element is just the actual terminal and the ongoing fees, where the charging networks believe they can get away without them.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
But when I have found a working EH charger is the past and used the app, you get a figure of £10 appear on you bank account for a few days before the actual cost of the charge is worked out. The app is no better at charging the actual amount reliably at the time of the transaction. Instavolt seem to be able to do it. EH just do not want to spend a bean on anything and haven't done for at least 18-24 months.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
When I've been charged by IV I've noticed a similar £10 charge on my account but for EH only ever the actual amount I've used shows up.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts