Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone uses the Ecotricity fast chargers at various motorway services on the M6 stretch from Knutsford to Birmingham and are they reliable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've used most charge points between Gloucester services and Stoke on Trent. Not had any issues apart from availability. Plan B with options as near to motorway junctions essential and don't let range get too low. All part of the great EV adventure!

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
545 Posts
Last month I used the Ecotricity chargers at Stafford North and South. North has an old tatty one and a new unit. South were still two old units, on is AC/Chademo and the other CCS/Chademo if I remember correctly. Both sides worked. No problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I prefer services because one can spend time on coffee / food / toilets whilst the car charges but always run the risk of not being able to charge due to faulty chargers. Anyone got recommendations on which services have good back up options nearby on this stretch of m6?

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
545 Posts
I've also used Sandbach North Ecotricity with no problems. As a backup for that, there's a BP pulse a mile or so further up at the next junction Co-Op.

Why don't you just use Zap-Map and see for yourself how many charging options there are these days on the leg that you're interested in?

This is just 50kW or greater CCS rapid chargers on your route or nearby:

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,162 Posts
Don't bother with the pair of Ecotricity units at Sandbach Southbound - They were installed 4-5 years ago and have never been powered up!
We'll see if that miracle happens as Gridserve replace all chargers on the "Electric Highway" this year

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. Yes I tend to use zap map but always good to hear first hand experiences. Like others can't wait for ecotricity units to be sorted later this year to sort this mess out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used most charge points between Gloucester services and Stoke on Trent. Not had any issues apart from availability. Plan B with options as near to motorway junctions essential and don't let range get too low. All part of the great EV adventure!
Thanks, I will be travelling from Swindon to Stoke next week.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,929 Posts
Thanks for the input. I prefer services because one can spend time on coffee / food / toilets whilst the car charges but always run the risk of not being able to charge due to faulty chargers. Anyone got recommendations on which services have good back up options nearby on this stretch of m6?
There's a Polar at the Holiday Inn just a couple of hundred yards off the Junction 15 for A500 Stoke on Trent.

First exit off the roundabout and up the hill.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
481 Posts
Great thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. Yes I tend to use zap map but always good to hear first hand experiences. Like others can't wait for ecotricity units to be sorted later this year to sort this mess out.
The mess is now being sorted!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts