Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed recently that the growth in the Ecotricity Electric Highway has stalled completely.

Are they going to continue expanding now that they're 'charging for charging' or are they recouping costs incurred so far?

You can see the Ecotricity graph, and others, here: EV Status

·
Registered
960 Posts
I imagine they are quickly developing their own mobile OS to further restrict charging, limiting to only android and iOS users wasn't enough!

On the other hand (or more seriously), aren't most MSA's now covered by EH? do they need to expand further than the motorways?

Maybe the money is going towards furthering the customer experience?

I'm hoping the stall is pointing towards enhancing the current payment system

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
They're probably all in therapy recovering from the abuse they've been receiving. I would imagine the mere mention of the Electric Highway causes winces and shaken heads throughout Ecotricity HQ.

But none, as @Tim Ostler says, are offline. 100% availability. What an achievement. *Pauses to put on flak jacket* Please join me in offering them our heartiest SpeakEV congratulations ... :whistle:

·
The best there is at what I do
10,644 Posts
An incidental observation and something to be applauded at least is that virtually none are offline...!
I don't think that tells the whole story, if only one of the connectors is working I think they it is reported that the whole pup is working.

I know of a couple of pumps where the CCS connector is not working reliably.

I hope EcoT consolidates the exiting network, they need 1+1 redundancy of each connector type to ensure that people get a fighting chance of getting a charge which isn't the case at the moment.

The government should be encouraging EcoT to ensure that people can drive anywhere in the country without having to worry about whether they can charge or not, and that is definitely not the case at the moment.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Interesting that @CYC reliability is pretty poor at only 87.5% with 32 offline out of 257. Chargemaster is probably even worse but no numbers are available for them. No one seems to complain much about their reliability whereas people on here were complaining about Ecotricity reliability even when it was 95%.
think the issue was that often EH only had one charger and often in critical locations, so others being down generally means there are at least 3 other plugs, at least from my experience any polar place I've been too generally has 4 ports that can all be used together, admittedly often 2 are a 3 pin plug, but still working

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The fact none of the data has changed at all for ages suggests to me that the tracking is broken.
Good point - if the data is gathered from the website map, is that still accurate (given that evhighwaystatus lost their access to the live data)?

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
A subtle effect of high availability is to raise the effective range of all BEVs, as once you start to trust that any given charger will be working (and available due to paid-for charging) you are more likely to drive further between charges. In my case that would increase the effective range from 55 to about 75 miles.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
The fact none of the data has changed at all for ages suggests to me that the tracking is broken.
Good point - if the data is gathered from the website map, is that still accurate (given that evhighwaystatus lost their access to the live data)?
Actually, the map no longer even attempts to give status information. This is the reason that all the chargers seem to be online - because Ecotricity now mark them all as online no matter what state they are in.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Actually, the map no longer even attempts to give status information. This is the reason that all the chargers seem to be online - because Ecotricity now mark them all as online no matter what state they are in.
Yes, I have seen a couple of offline chargers that were not flagged on the map. I suspect that as Matt says, they are no longer giving status information so we cannot draw any inference from the data.

Tesla have now introduced PAYG supercharging so there is no longer a "free" option for charging, perhaps that is also part of the reason Ecotricity had to introduce charging for charging.

With all the providers now being paid-for, we might actually see a viable business case for building new chargepoints - while there was "free" competition it was going to be difficult to justify any further investment.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There may not be "free" charging for you, but up here in the North, @CYC is still free to use for the time being (unless you don't count that as you have to pay for the card).

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Surely they only make sense as cross-promotion as the charges still don't go anywhere near covering the installation costs for a rapid.
Yes, the installation costs are crazy. I think we worked out an ROI measured in the decades. But those costs come down on a per-charger basis the more you install in one place as you can spread most of the fixed costs (e.g. the trench and cabling) across all the chargers. If you can be confident each chargepoint will be a revenue generator and not just an overhead then installing multiple units may be more attractive.

There may not be "free" charging for you, but up here in the North, @CYC is still free to use for the time being (unless you don't count that as you have to pay for the card).
I thought CYC had been bought out by Chargemaster [everywhere] so its days of being free were numbered?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,644 Posts
Interesting that @CYC reliability is pretty poor at only 87.5% with 32 offline out of 257. Chargemaster is probably even worse but no numbers are available for them. No one seems to complain much about their reliability whereas people on here were complaining about Ecotricity reliability even when it was 95%.
I call bullshit on that reliability figure, EcoT has never had over 90% reliability, they are being economical with the truth:rolleyes:

·
Ecohound
1,302 Posts
has lower CO2 emissions
And as @gary is saying in the Taxi thread it appears that they are being abused. Not that I use Rapids often but when I do I have more trust in getting a charge now with Ecotricity than before the payment to charge system.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yes, the installation costs are crazy. I think we worked out an ROI measured in the decades. But those costs come down on a per-charger basis the more you install in one place as you can spread most of the fixed costs (e.g. the trench and cabling) across all the chargers. If you can be confident each chargepoint will be a revenue generator and not just an overhead then installing multiple units may be more attractive.
If you get 20 charges a month today, but instead of installing one unit you install 5......you're not suddenly going to get 100 charges a month. You may be reducing the costs per unit installed......but it will increase the ROI!

I thought CYC had been bought out by Chargemaster [everywhere] so its days of being free were numbered?
Scotland are still nearly all free. Moray council area a notable exception (£3.80 fixed cost for a Rapid or a fast)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well I guess you have to have a motorway in the first place, seemingly they are the only roads considered worthy of rapids even when areas are only served by A roads....... feeling pretty miffed that in 2 year of EV ownership whole swathes of SW England are bereft of them or there is just one choice which is not to be relied upon.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts