Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been with Octopus nearly a year. I've been on the waiting list for Go for nearly a year. Our fixed rate tarriff is about to expire so I did some shopping with surprising results.

Covid has changed our usage. Debbie is working from home until at least May. I work from home 4.5 days a week.
I'm driving the i3 about 150 miles a month, down from 1,100 miles a month.

New quotes based on 7,036kWh per year NorthWales MANWEB

Revised Go estimate:

450kWh off peak * 5p £22.50
6586kWh peak .1463p £963.53
Standing Charge 25p/day £91.25

£1077.28 per year -- if ever get a smart meter....

Ocotopus Super Green fixed:

7,036kWh * 17.5245p = £1,233.02
Standing Charge 19.395p/day £72.78

£1305.80 per year

Ecotricty EV Tarriff fixed until 30 September 2021

16.14p / kWh
37.03p / day

£1,271 per year ..

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was on Octopus Tracker while I waited for a smart meter. It was significantly cheaper than any fixed rate tariff, largely because wholesale energy prices tanked during lockdown.

You can switch with just an email and there’s no minimum term.

·
Super Moderator
7,749 Posts
We've been with Octopus nearly a year. I've been on the waiting list for Go for nearly a year. Our fixed rate tarriff is about to expire so I did some shopping with surprising results.

Covid has changed our usage. Debbie is working from home until at least May. I work from home 4.5 days a week.
I'm driving the i3 about 150 miles a month, down from 1,100 miles a month.

New quotes based on 7,036kWh per year NorthWales MANWEB

Revised Go estimate:

450kWh off peak * 5p £22.50
6586kWh peak .1463p £963.53
Standing Charge 25p/day £91.25

£1077.28 per year -- if ever get a smart meter....

Ocotopus Super Green fixed:

7,036kWh * 17.5245p = £1,233.02
Standing Charge 19.395p/day £72.78

£1305.80 per year

Ecotricty EV Tarriff fixed until 30 September 2021

16.14p / kWh
37.03p / day

£1,271 per year ..

View attachment 136805
That’s a lot of peak usage, you need some solar panels and batteries 😉

·
The best there is at what I do
10,705 Posts
I'm with Octopus and save a fortune by charging my car and doing my washing using the 5p cheap rate, makes a big difference.

·
Super Moderator
7,749 Posts
And yet you won't save any money doing that...
Might take a few years, but I will. My per kWh price is extremely low by forcing things to run/charge in low or negative price periods.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Look at PFP energy - For GL postcode where I am, I have been quoted for their Fixed - November 2021 Green v1 tarrif:

Day rate: 19.1294 about £70
Unit rate: 12.1485 so about £855 Total £925.

this was the cheapest in my area for me as currently in process of switching from Scottish Power (dual) to PFP energy for electric and UtilityPoint for the gas.

Unfortunately, wife wont use tumble drier overnight and we wont set other appliances for cheap rate as it will wake the two dogs up overnight - so had to look for cheapest all day tariffs rather than split rate times.

If anyone else is switching to UP for anything - please use my refer code: Navy2229419 - thanks.
Unfortunately I dont have any referral codes yet for PfP

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf; Tesla Model 3
119 Posts
Might have been worth calling Octopus about the "Go Faster" trial, where I understand the window isn't just after midnight but can be another time like late evening. Was wondering about this myself as while the car is easy to deal with on a timer, as you found washing machines at night do wake light sleepers (with two or four legs).

·
Super Moderator
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That’s a lot of peak usage, you need some solar panels and batteries 😉
Our house is listed. I doubt we can install solar panels.

Been thinking about batteries...

·
Super Moderator
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Might have been worth calling Octopus about the "Go Faster" trial, where I understand the window isn't just after midnight but can be another time like late evening.
With both of us working from home and the i3 rarely getting driven most of our usage is during peak periods.

Our employer has told us to expect to WFH until at least June...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was more lucky.
SSE installed my smart meter earlier this year. Before tarrif end I switched to Octopus flexible tariff (29/10/20). I am now on Go as of today. 😁

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Our house is listed. I doubt we can install solar panels.

Been thinking about batteries...
Always worth checking as some areas allow them. Trouble is the option is usually solar tiles which is way too costly at present. if Tesla ever get the costs down and start in the U.K., that might be a future option.
Any chance you have a large shed or room for a ground array?
Room for a small wind turbine or VAWT?

If going battery route then many recommend the Sofar/Pylontech which is scalable and cost effective For many.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,954 Posts
Planning permission is also denied for any building within the curtilage of a listed building

All the following limits must be met:
  • Panels should not be installed above the highest part of the roof (excluding the chimney) and should project no more than 200mm from the roof slope or wall surface.
  • The panels must not be installed on a building that is within the grounds of a listed building or on a site designated as a scheduled monument.
  • If your property is in a conservation area, or in a World Heritage Site, panels must not be fitted to a wall which fronts a highway.
Planning for ground arrays has tightened considerably - anything over 9m2 (around 2.5kWhp with present technology) requires planning permission:

All the following limits must be met:
  • Only the first stand alone solar installation will be permitted development. Further installations will require planning permission.
  • No part of the installation should be higher than four metres
  • The installation should be at least 5m from the boundary of the property
  • The size of the array should be no more that 9 square metres or 3m wide by 3m deep
  • Panels should not be installed within boundary of a listed building or a scheduled monument.
  • if your property is in a conservation area, or in a World Heritage Site, no part of the solar installation should be nearer to any highway bounding the house than the part of the house that is nearest to that highway.

·
Registered
471 Posts
We went with a SMETS 1 meter to speed up Octopus August 2019, currently on the Go Faster Tarif and get 5p kwh from 1:30 to 6:30, think its still a trial offer.

Lots of people say to get a SMETS 2 because of the issues with SMETS 1 but we would have been waiting months longer and it took some effort to the get the SMETS 1 (we even met OCTOPUS in person at a Fully Charged Live last year to discuss and get on there fast track list).

Interestingly the Electrican that installed the SMETS1 said they work better in the North (I'm in Lancaster) compared to the South so maybe no use to you, somthing to do with how it communicates and the security protocols it uses, but I've forgotten most of the technical details so don't quote me :)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,954 Posts
I don't think that the meter installers will be going into anyone's houses in the foreseeable future except in emergencies. If the OP has an external meter he may get lucky.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts