1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Can't feel sorry for them. They knew what they were getting in to right from the start and somehow justified it financially and commercially. I am certain that their losses are mitigated against increased revenue from their electricity business.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,651 Posts
I hear the sound of many Speak EV members preparing their very very small violins!

Seriously though, it kind of confirms a lot of the thoughts on here.

One thing is, there is a growing market out there consisting of PHEV drivers, if they could find a way to tap into that quite cheaply/cost effectively, then it might help turn it to profit.

Mind you, without expanding the network to do that and with different chargers, it would put back in the problems around Rapid availability for BEVs...

Interesting to see that the IKEA pumps being free is creating demand 'honeypots', which is more or less what was happening when they were all free.

Let's wait and see, the good news is they seem committed to the EH come what may.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Interesting to see that the IKEA pumps being free is creating demand 'honeypots', which is more or less what was happening when they were all free.
Using IKEA was a disaster to begin with, they should rip the units out and put them in more suitable locations. Let IKEA do their own thing with appropriate destination charging.

·
Registered
53 Posts
quoting from that
"Crowfoot revealed that as there are only currently an estimated 25,000 electric vehicles on the road, the average use of the Electric Highway prior to the introduction of the £6 fee was only around four charges a day across the entire network. In contrast, Ecotricity spent around £500,000 on maintaining its network alone last year."

How long is that average taken over 4 a day across the whole network ! I find that very hard to believe - as that would mean charging brings in about £ 24.00 a day -- Hardly a change

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
One thing is, there is a growing market out there consisting of PHEV drivers, if they could find a way to tap into that quite cheaply/cost effectively, then it might help turn it to profit.
I am not at all convinced they need or even plan to make a profit. I suspect it is a loss leader for their electricity supply business and this might actually represent good value for the advertising impact it has.

Mind you... I can't blame them for milking the losses for all the PR it is worth in the meantime as if they are some kind of good Samaritan of the EV world!

4 EVs blocking spaces and not one of them charging.
That is a PR pic... the drivers are probably all just out of shot and probably moved their cars and went home one the pics were done. Hardly a real blocking.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,561 Posts
I have to say it pretty much confirms what some of us have been trying to say, including this:

“This has to normalise, people need to understand the proper economics of driving an electric car because having it free is nice but it distorts the reality a bit and that's not good for the market in the longer term. It makes people buy cars for the wrong reasons potentially and that's not a healthy thing to do.”

And BTW everyone seems to be in a real humourless mood today...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
*whoosh* x 2...

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
How long is that average taken over 4 a day across the whole network ! I find that very hard to believe

Some chargers see very little use. I've almost never seen anyone else at Kinmel Park. -- There are four rapids there, two on each side. I doubt Holyhead sees much use outside of tourist season.

Also the usage varies with time. They are almost never used in the morning.

Popular locations get busy on Weekend afternoons. Chester Services seems to always be busy on a Sunday afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
Checking the app right now.

Bangor - green
Holyhead - green
Kinmel Park WB - green
Kinmel Park EB - green
Singing Kettle - green
Oswestry - green
Liverpool Airport - green
Chester - green
Burtonwood - green
IKEA Warrington - green

Bangor, SK and Oswestry only have one rapid so no one is there.

The others all have two at least one is free.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Does anyone want to build a tool to collect usage data from the app API?
Haven't chance to look at it in great detail, but I think its going to suffer the problem i have with my old way of doing this. The data still isn't reliable because DBT doesn't report its state correctly.

·
Super Moderator
7,474 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what else ecotricity do. For example, now they are building/learning about backend/comms/fees for usage they might decide to start doing destination chargers. After all, maybe drivers will already have the app, they already have the backend set up, and it's a recognisable/demonstrable brand.

Could they, for instance, start putting large banks of 7kw chargers into your local tesco, with a different fee (maybe about £1 an hour or something) as just another option in the app? Make the most of their fixed overheads, installation costs should be lower (and certainly way lower per unit) than rapids, and if one in a bank of 12 breaks, oh well it can wait. Revenue will be small, but even if you only get £10 per supermarket per day it's still £5k a day (£1.8m a year), just from tesco. And I think over time the number of people with no home charging will increase (so doing it during their weekly shop is handy) or where a one hour top-up during the day is convenient so they pay the pound.

And don't stop with tesco.

I'd approach someone like NCP to do a mega deal.

They can also, if they want to do large banks of destination units, install them quite smartly. For instance, utilisation will likely be low, so do load balancing. Rather than 384 amps for 12x32A units, just pull over 96A, and let the units talk to each other. Once a fourth vehicle connects reduce the pilot signal from 32A to 24A, with five on drop to 19A etc, and go back up when sessions end or cars disconnect.

PS Ecotricity if you're reading this I'd quite like a job :D

·
Super Moderator
7,474 Posts
Yes, this! Q-Park has already gone to someone else, but there is a market for organised destination charging
Big advantage for app based is, if it's an underground carpark/multistorey, you can plug your car in, take a picture of the QR code or enter the pump number, and tell the app "authorise once I have signal", then as you emerge from the car park the charger can kick into life (the one hub controlling them all is hardwired or has a long lead to a GSM antenna outdoors).

·
Super Moderator
7,474 Posts
There are already many NCP car parks with POLAR chargers. In my experience they are nearly all either broken or ICEd. I'd never rely on them.
Same, but I don't mean two posts by the entrance, I mean a buttload of posts, and the age of dead posts should really be over now. I also trust ecotricity a lot more to get it right than I do Polar.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts