Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What percentage of existing Electric Highway Charge sessions after Ap introduction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 6694 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just checking the Nissan EV "Promise"

The previous version said that the use of Ecotricity chargers would be free until 31 Dec 2015, and then would be reviewed.

The new version says

"Charging on the Ecotricity Electric Highway is free for all Nissan Electric Vehicles customers until 31 March 2016 and will be reviewed thereafter"

Of course, this doesn't imply anything about if and when charges will be introduced, but indicates that they will be free for the next 3 months at least.

http://media.nissan.eu/content/dam/services/gb/brochure/Nissan_LEAF_Customer_Promise_T_and_C.pdf

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I was told by a dealer that because Nissan funded the vast majority of the network that it will likely remain free for Leaf/Zoe owners for a few years yet and probably free for Ecotricity home customers too.

Outlanders, Teslas etc. may have to pay from this year. It's probably for the best as it will rid the rapids of hybrids at last.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not sure how they can manage the charging of customers as not sure Exotricity know what car I am driving.

I will admit I have test drove a LEAF and now currently using a Outlander PHEV. I see no benefit in the rapids on service stations for my car as it only gives me 20-30 miles on rapid charge where EV's rely on these on motorway journeys. I am happy to use my petrol on the motorway and EV around town but will admit if I stopped at a service station (which is rare) and I had no battery and a charger is free I would use it for the free electricity.

This is where charge bump and other schemes help :)

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
BYD taxi would have to pay then...... more of a problem for me than PHEV's :ROFLMAO:

I have had to wait for a BYD taxi every time I have visited Heston.

Only had to wait for a PHEV twice over the past year. One had iced the Ikea Croydon charger - not even bothered to plug in! the other time it moved on fairly quickly.

The rest off the time has been Leaf's :ROFLMAO::cool::p

·
Registered
991 Posts
I was told by a dealer that because Nissan funded the vast majority of the network that it will likely remain free for Leaf/Zoe owners for a few years yet and probably free for Ecotricity home customers too.
Good luck with that, the dealer is talking out of his behind I'm afraid.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Good luck with that, the dealer is talking out of his behind I'm afraid.
Well are you going to back that up with evidence? The dealer is now one of the main UK Leaf coordinators.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Not sure how they can manage the charging of customers as not sure Exotricity know what car I am driving.
I'm sure they will just ask you to provide evidence of which EV you have once they start this charging setup we're all going to presumably have to reregister with debit cards etc.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Well are you going to back that up with evidence? The dealer is now one of the main UK Leaf coordinators.
Well other than hearsay from a dealer what evidence do you have? There has been lengthy discussion on this subject in the forums, Nissan are a contributor yes, but they have not paid for the majority of the network. And given that ChargeMaster are happily charging to use points paid for by OLEV, who contributed what matters nought when it comes to Ecotricity implementing a pay to use scheme.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ecotricity have no idea what car I drive as I got the card 1mth before the car (so I could complete my long test drives) I'm sure others are in the same situation. Unless the car to rapid handshake tells them?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
That strange British disease of jealousy and that disrespectful "what does it matter who contributed, It's not right that he should get it when I don't, just because I gave my money to a different car manufacturer" nonsense, raises it's ugly head again.

Nissan (read : those purchasing cars from Nissan) paid in and played an invaluable part in getting the Electric Highway up and running.

Why should they, and their customers, not reap the benefits of that contribution, to help them sell more cars ?

If I were Nissan and Ecotricity wouldn't do the decent thing, I'd sue them, and cost them millions.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
For super-dull regulatory reasons I believe it would be against the law for Ecotricity to provide free charging to their domestic energy customers and not to others.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
For super-dull regulatory reasons I believe it would be against the law for Ecotricity to provide free charging to their domestic energy customers and not to others.
Keep reading this about how "possibly" regulations would forbid them from offering free Electric Highway usage for their domestic customer's, but have read nothing factual (quote from legal documents perhaps) that actually categorically outlaws such a practice.

As there is nothing in law preventing other electricity suppliers from establishing their own charging networks how can they complain ?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
No BT is different. It owns the network and leases out lines to other telephone providers.
Safeguards are put in place to ensure that these other companies can compete on a level playing field with BT, the owner of the network.

Ecotricity does not own the National Grid.
It, like all the other companies, pays to use it.

They compete on price, customer service and whatever added value (Electric Highway) they are able to offer to customers.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Keep reading this about how "possibly" regulations would forbid them from offering free Electric Highway usage for their domestic customer's, but have read nothing factual (quote from legal documents perhaps) that actually categorically outlaws such a practice.

As there is nothing in law preventing other electricity suppliers from establishing their own charging networks how can they complain ?
My simplistic understanding is that the standard Ofgem Electricity Supply License prohibits the bundling of services into domestic supply contracts where the bundled service is a monopoly, and Ecotricity have a monopoly rapid charging network (quite intentionally; they forced the MSA operators to sign exclusive agreements with them).

@Mark J Constable would no doubt be able to give a more detailed explanation.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Ecotricity have no idea what car I drive as I got the card 1mth before the car (so I could complete my long test drives) I'm sure others are in the same situation. Unless the car to rapid handshake tells them?
Agreed. There's no handshaking in the protocols that would allow identification of vehicle, and so the best they could hope for would be to issue special cards only to verified Leaf/Zoe drivers and then program the charge points to stop charging once ~25kWh had been supplied, in case I "accidentally" swapped the cards between my two cars...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
SSE (Chargepoint Genie), perhaps?
EDF funded and branded a lot of posts that eventually became part of Source London, mostly in the days of fancy packaged domestic sockets.
RWE (nPower) provide a few chargers around the country.

Of the UK energy companies, it was Ecotricity that, just a few years ago, saw the need to establish a consistent, nationwide network to allow long-distance travel by electric vehicles. That is now mostly in place (though there's large gaps in Wales), and other organisations, through CYC, have filled in some more gaps.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Perhaps Nissan are also paying Ecotricity money to continue the free / convenient supply at motorway service stations? Maybe it comes out of marketting budget?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Not sure how they can manage the charging of customers as not sure Ecotricity know what car I am driving.
I must have told them the car model and registration when I applied for my Ecotricity RFID card, as when I ring up with a query about a problem using one of the charge points (such as the time I selected CCS rather thanChaDeMo in error, and then wondered why it was not starting to charge) they ask me for the registration of the car and presumably from that they are able to check the make and model.

1 - 20 of 6694 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.