Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it me or are there lots of rapids down at the moment, it looks like according to the map pease pottage and cobham are down

·
Registered
588 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I thought it was because they were carrying out upgrades, so the status isn't accurate? Did we ever get a definitive answer on that? I know someone posted "I am currently charging on a rapid marked as being down" but can't find the thread now ...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great and they dont seem to be answering the phone

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Some of the unserviceability is due to poor mobile network reception - e.g. Beaconsfield. If you've previously used a rapid you may be able to charge because the unit recognises your RFID card even though it doesn't have a signal.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mobiles are crap

would be lovley if there were all using ethernet

·
Registered
245 Posts
Electric highway are tweeting almost every day about which rapids are being upgraded. Looks like a long process with some rapids being taken down during the upgrades.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Hey Gary

It's not just you.

There are a few reasons for this:

- believe it or not the existing units have not been truly protected from the elements and so there is a tendency for them to fail faster in winter.

- they went back to the drawing board with respect to the design and came up with a temporary fix (which resolved an issue with water ingress into ChaDemo connectors) and a permanent fix (which in essence is the major part of the existing insides skipped and replaced).

- the permanent fix was due to be rolled out in the autumn. It wasn't.

- the reason why the permanent fix was not rolled out is that a new set of issues were identified with CCS. This was a fault in which certain CCS cars would kill the charger.

- the permanent fix is in the process of being deployed. This will take some weeks (more if the Good Lord sends us crappy weather)

- the installation crews have had to be off the road while they have trained on the new units and also are now out installing. This means that the fixers are spread thinner than usual.

The hope is that this will get better after Xmas

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest we are getting free charging so im more than happy with things up to now of course it would be great if there was 3 at each services and loads of others, i find if frustrating rather than annoying.

had a sit in the tesla at bluewater today v nice

·
Registered
536 Posts
Spoke to some engineers upgrading the units at Leicester Forest East this week, it seems these mods are a more permanent fix in terms of protecting the units from the elements. At sites where there are two chargers they are leaving one operational whilst working on the other one. It seems that they have been undergoing training recently on the repairs so hopefully things will be a bit more accelerated now.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Quote Gary Cambridge: 'To be honest we are getting free charging so im more than happy with things up to now of course it would be great if there was 3 at each services and loads of others, i find if frustrating rather than annoying.'

That's all well and good if you don't need to make a journey that's impossible because the rapids aren't available on two or more sequencial services – currently Beaconsfield, Oxford Waterstock and Oxford Peartree. Not frustrating, not annoying, more than that, journey impossible!

The level of service on the Electric Highway is not fit for purpose if you want to replace an ICE with a BEV.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Spoke to some engineers upgrading the units at Leicester Forest East this week, it seems these mods are a more permanent fix in terms of protecting the units from the elements. At sites where there are two chargers they are leaving one operational whilst working on the other one. It seems that they have been undergoing training recently on the repairs so hopefully things will be a bit more accelerated now.
What engineers are these? Are they from DBT/CEV? British gas? Or do Ecotricity employ engineers?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Quote Gary Cambridge: 'To be honest we are getting free charging so im more than happy with things up to now of course it would be great if there was 3 at each services and loads of others, i find if frustrating rather than annoying.'

That's all well and good if you don't need to make a journey that's impossible because the rapids aren't available on two or more sequencial services – currently Beaconsfield, Oxford Waterstock and Oxford Peartree. Not frustrating, not annoying, more than that, journey impossible!

The level of service on the Electric Highway is not fit for purpose if you want to replace an ICE with a BEV.
Yes Rob. Things have gotten better and will continue to do so

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To be honest i feel its my fault that my choice of vehicle wont do what i want it do do sometimes i guess im in a fortunate position to have other vehicles to use if i really need to, i do like my leaf but i do understand its limitations, tomorrow i will be doing a 100 mile journey im hoping clacket lane only rapid is working if not i may well be on the look out for a asda

lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't think Ecotricity know what's live or not, the electric highway map showed Membury east working on Saturday, got there to find it wasn't (flatbed) two days later on the return trip I called to check and the engineer assured me eastbound was working. Got there an hour later, it wasn't. Flatbed again if it wasn't for FishBros saving the day.
I feel bad mentioning it because I love what Ecotricity is doing for us EV pioneers :(

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone used pease pottage of cobham last couple of days

1 - 20 of 26 Posts