Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see on the tesla forums that someone has cut 14mm off their public charge cable socket (not going into details - those that can help will know) and got it to mate up with and talk to the Ecotricity rapid chargers (Renault side). Does anyone know if this same mod would allow the Ampera to charge off one? Have a trip to South Wales tomorrow and can only find rapids listed anywhere near where I'm going so hoping this would work and that I have time to do it!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Theoretically it would work, but you will still need 4 hours to charge and an ecotricity card.
Odds on you getting 4 hours without interruption on a rapid are pretty slim I would think ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ordinarily I'd agree with you - this time we're traveling from London to South Wales so I'd stop for breakfast while charging - it should give me just enough range to drive from the motorway to my dad's 80th (it would be nice to be able to showcase an EV for everyone there) then back to the motorway again as there is no other charger in the area I can use.
But I take your point - haven't really got the time to do it and don't trust myself to make a decent job in a rush with hand tools

·
Super Moderator
7,454 Posts
ordinarily I'd agree with you - this time we're traveling from London to South Wales so I'd stop for breakfast while charging - it should give me just enough range to drive from the motorway to my dad's 80th (it would be nice to be able to showcase an EV for everyone there) then back to the motorway again as there is no other charger in the area I can use.
But I take your point - haven't really got the time to do it and don't trust myself to make a decent job in a rush with hand tools
The Ampera has a "hold" mode, you can use that to arrive at your destination with some EV charge to show it off.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I used to fiddle about with "hold" for the middle (motorway) part of my of the trip and save battery for each end but I don't bother now. It still uses electric only at slow speed, say in stop start traffic even when the battery is supposedly exhausted. Great idea for showing it off at your destination though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts