Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought these were well worth sharing for newcomers on here and elsewhere, a guide to the Electric Highway chargers from @Ecotricity

CCS:

Fast AC:

CHAdeMO:

And all in one (thanks @Thermostat9)

·
The best there is at what I do
10,490 Posts
From experience using the Ecotricity Fast Charger to charge an i3 isn't as easy as the make out in the video, the connector is really loose in the charge socket and the weight of the cable stops the car from communicating with the charger, I've found that supporting the cable while the charger and car synchronise works sometimes but not always, the difficulty is pressing the button while supporting the cable :confused:

·
Zoe Devotee
7,549 Posts
Does the video include how to stow the charge head once completed and how to properly end a charge?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
They look good and would be sensible to point people at when they have questions about charging. Not sure the first 'etiquette' point about not parking a petrol or diesel powered car in the bays will help much as I cannot expect folk who don't have an interest in an electric car will ever watch them!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Not sure the first 'etiquette' point about not parking a petrol or diesel powered car in the bays will help much as I cannot expect folk who don't have an interest in an electric car will ever watch them!
Also 'the map'. On it they have a key for "DC and AC fast charge"(green pins) "CCS fast charge"(yellow pins) and "AC medium charge"(blue pins).

So why are the videos titled "Fast AC", "DC CCS" and "DC CHAdeMO"? Makes no sense whatsoever.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,490 Posts
I am rather concerned about the AC charging video encouraging people with 7kW or 3kW chargers to use these rapid chargers and to only unplug once fully charged. I foresee great issues here :-(

That depends, if he car is a BEV then the driver will need a decent charge to get to the next charge point, I charged at one today and would have moved if someone else came along.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I am rather concerned about the AC charging video encouraging people with 7kW or 3kW chargers to use these rapid chargers and to only unplug once fully charged. I foresee great issues here :-(
You might have a point but it's a start! Surely we should encourage this, even if not perfect?

I wonder if ecotricity could link to this when they send out their (amazing) cards.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I think the main thing I got out of that was it's not "cha-dee-mo" as I've been pronouncing it, but "Cha-d'mo".

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I too share the concern on use of rapids for non-rapid use. Of course as an emergency topup it makes sense, but I worry that some drivers less considerate than those here may just plug their i3 (which I have too!) in for 3 hours .. Of course if there's no-one around fine, but if it stops others getting a rapid charge (6 in that time) then it seems rather unfair.

On twitter they did however say they don't believe it's become a problem yet, and I've not been specifically blocked myself either.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,549 Posts
The most important bit about how to use a charger is missing.

Because inconsiderate ending of sessions and stowing of charge heads leads to problems for other users.

·
Administrator
11,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The most important bit about how to use a charger is missing.

Because inconsiderate ending of sessions and stowing of charge heads leads to problems for other users.
But it does include how to stow the chargers and end sessions in the videos?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
From experience using the Ecotricity Fast Charger to charge an i3 isn't as easy as the make out in the video, the connector is really loose in the charge socket and the weight of the cable stops the car from communicating with the charger, I've found that supporting the cable while the charger and car synchronise works sometimes but not always, the difficulty is pressing the button while supporting the cable :confused:
I hear this a lot. Never needed or heeded it. Did they change something on 2015 models? Chunkier socket or some such?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
The video (chademo) did show how badly designed the user interface is. It looks like a touch screen but isn't. You press the button on the panel next to the screen apart from the Confirm button which is in the middle bottom where you press the bottom left button.

All over the place springs to mind. Easy if you have done it more than once, but a winner for the dogs dinner design awards. (y)

·
Zoe Devotee
7,549 Posts
But it does include how to stow the chargers and end sessions in the videos?
Didn't see it in the AC video, didn't watch the rest. How meant new owners watch all the videos? You watch the bit relevant to you and nowt else.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
About this Discussion
96 Replies
37 Participants
Pcoventry
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing