Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I regularly venture into my motherland and so the A12 one is especially welcome. The Colchester United CYC one is *just* too far into Essex to match my journey profile there and back. Rivenhall is perfect.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was rapid charging my wifes Leaf at M42 Tamworth the other day as a Leaf pulled in next to me got a nod off the driver who took hold of the AC lead, I said you cannot use that on a Leaf. He said this all new to me I have this on test drive for the week end, I have just had to call in at Nissan Notts. as I needed a charge and they topped it up for me. I asked didn't the dealer give you and info how and where to charge, didn't they give you a Ecotricity card, He said no what is one of those, I said you need one to charge on these units. He told me the dealer didn't tell him anything just gave him the keys and said see you on Monday. He thinks the Leaf salesman was on holiday and the other chap didn't know much about Leafs. When I had finished I said what I can do is start you charging and you will have to let it finish charging before you can unplug it but you will get a good charge, gave him my mobile No. just in case and left him to his coffee. I think that was bad of the dealer to send him out on the road with no instuctions at all. (Nissan.Wolverhampton)...............GT

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Bit crap of the dealer there. What should have been a very enjoyable weekend test drive and potential sale could so easily have been the opposite.

I trust you let him use your card?

·
Zoe Devotee
7,538 Posts
I'm right in saying you can't end a session without presenting your card?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes that's correct but only if its still charging, if the charge is complete it will release the gun automatically, I found that out the first time we charged our leaf on a rapid as another leaf had plugged in as mine was fully charged.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The most important bit about how to use a charger is missing.

Because inconsiderate ending of sessions and stowing of charge heads leads to problems for other users.
Hi pulled our Leaf onto rapid charger at East Mid .Services today, Sunday, Just as an outlander was just finishing as I thought. Parked on the charger next to outlander, got out as the driver walked to his door totally ignored me as we passed not even a look. I took the cable and plugged it in the leaf, went to the screen with my card and just happened to see on screen ( error on charge initialization) then retrying to charge, or words to that effect and it started charging straight a way, never used my card at all. I then thought I will have to wait till it completes the charge completely now to remove the plug as when I produced my card to stop the charge and it asked for the card used to start the charge to be produced. The chap had parked close by and gone in the services, so as I was charging I saw this guy returning to his car so I politely asked if he could just scan his card to cancel the charge as I did not have to wait for it to completely finish the charge then I could reset it with my own card as normal, this ignorant guy virtually ignored me got in his car and said it did not work for me. I said yes but it will not reset without you scanning your card before mine. The next words as he closed his door were ( Do you think I am a F------ idiot) and drove off. No regards as to have created a problem for someone else. I waited for it complete charging and it released the gun, I would not have stayed as long if I had used my card and would have been long gone. However I proceeded on the M1 up to East Midland Designer Outlet with my wife and while walking round who do I see but this ignorant B------ of a driver from the services, so just let him know I got the charger to work as he couldn't. He just grunted. What a horrible man.. G.T.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,538 Posts
I think you need to name/shame/re-educate anyone who uses a charger incorrectly. If you don't want to do it here make sure you notify Ecotricity of the reg number of the owner and what was witnessed/said which lead to the failure.

Lets not bury our heads here, lets get these people (and by that I mean folk who apparently can't read or follow simple instruction) in line with the rest of us. If they can't/won't use the chargers in a sensible manner then their access to said chargers should be removed.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I think you need to name/shame/re-educate anyone who uses a charger incorrectly. If you don't want to do it here make sure you notify Ecotricity of the reg number of the owner and what was witnessed/said which lead to the failure.

Lets not bury our heads here, lets get these people (and by that I mean folk who apparently can't read or follow simple instruction) in line with the rest of us. If they can't/won't use the chargers in a sensible manner then their access to said chargers should be removed.
Ecotricity: "It's been reported to us that you didn't put the charger head back correctly"
Owner: "Yes i did"

It's down to bad design of the Ecotricity charge points. The cable holder regularly doubles as a charge head holder and allows it to become a rain catcher. It should be more like this;
IMGP1369.JPG

·
Zoe Devotee
7,538 Posts
Surely Ecotricty can check who started and then subsequently stopped a charge with their card. If the number of stops don't tie up with starts then your bang to rights! They can probably also check how many times an emergency stop has been pulled following a charge start. If they see the same card has started a charge on x number of occasions but not once presented the card to stop a charge and that the emergency stop has been used to reset that either the user has a faulty card or isn't using their equipment properly.

Its pretty clear in the T&C's what your responsibilities are when applying for a card (you need to click a button to acknowledge you will adhere to these terms).

Taken directly from the Ecotricity T&Cs. I've highlighted the relevant areas in bold.

4. Your responsibilities
You agree to use the Services or the Swipe Card in accordance with terms of this Agreement and any user guide or other instruction issued by Us.

You must not: (a) allow anyone else to use the Swipe Card and/or Services without our consent: (b) use the Swipe Card and/or the Services in any manner which is (or which would have a purpose or effect which is) harmful, a nuisance, annoying, disruptive, inconvenient, unlawful, fraudulent or in connection with a criminal offence; (c) tamper with any Electricity Pumps; or (d) act in any way such that the operation of the Services or any Electricity Pumps will be either jeopardised or impaired.

You must comply with these terms and conditions (as amended from time to time), all relevant legislation or regulations relating to the Services, and all user guides and instructions relating to the Services issued by Us. You must keep the Swipe Card safe and secure and handle the Swipe Card with care.

So not presenting your card in accordance with the agreed guide is breaking the rules as defined by Ecotricity. Its there in black and white.... why are we defending the buffoons who can't read or choose not to follow the companies rules. Get them booted, get their card revoked.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
ok, somone would then just say they put it back ok and some kids came and moved it. Prove it.

Then Ecotricity would need cctv, and then it gets all big brother.

Or they could just design the charge point better.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,538 Posts
You can't prove you didn't stick it back in the cradle. But there is no wriggling out of no presenting YOUR card to end session. Or if every time you charge the next person has to press Reset.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree that the instructions are useful.
However, the big problem remains that there are many charge points that are found to be U/S when you get there.
Having had the experience of being in a queue waiting for the (French) technicians to finish staring at the screen on one unit for over an hour, I was moved to ask Ecotricity UK what was going on.
I received this reply, it is either brutally honest or some kind of joke.
The name of the Ecotricity representative can be supplied on request!

'Dear Brian,
Thanks for your comment relating to our electric highway.
The technicians that you witnessed work for the manufacturers of the charge points who assist with the repair of charge points on our electric highway network. I can assure you that these technicians are not competent ....'

·
Registered
426 Posts
I tried to get a Chademo charge at M1 London Gateway services yesterday.
- Left machine was in use by a tesla.
- Right machine was free, but when it tried to sync with my leaf it just hung for ages then failed.

So I ended up waiting for the tesla to finish, he had only just started charging but luckily came back ten mins later and drove off. Then, while I am charging on the left machine another leaf identical to mine turned up and started charging without any problem at the right machine. So I was scratching my head why that machine could sync his leaf but not mine (both gen2 Acentas)

So...are there some tricks to get it to sync?
(one posted above said to support the charger so the connection is tighter)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I tried to get a Chademo charge at M1 London Gateway services yesterday.
- Left machine was in use by a tesla.
- Right machine was free, but when it tried to sync with my leaf it just hung for ages then failed.

So I ended up waiting for the tesla to finish, he had only just started charging but luckily came back ten mins later and drove off. Then, while I am charging on the left machine another leaf identical to mine turned up and started charging without any problem at the right machine. So I was scratching my head why that machine could sync his leaf but not mine (both gen2 Acentas)

So...are there some tricks to get it to sync?
(one posted above said to support the charger so the connection is tighter)
It's always worth disconnecting and removing the connector, then reinserting firmly - might just be enough to get it to work.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeh I assumed the connection on these things is pretty tight, given the amount of electricity flying through, but obviously not! I guess it is like a broken headphone socket on an mp3 player, hold the headphone connector at an angle and it starts going again in stereo. Does make me wonder though whether the charge speed will be affected after syncing and letting go of the connector.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I find that if I hesitate or can't fully plug it in first time the machine has a sync error, pressing recover or remove and plug in again works most times.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
He mentions drivers of petrol and diesel cars parking in the bay's surely not!! Has anyone actually witnessed this?
Can't decide if it's because you're new here, or if you're being funny...

41 - 60 of 97 Posts
About this Discussion
96 Replies
37 Participants
Pcoventry
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing