Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
So...are there some tricks to get it to sync?
(one posted above said to support the charger so the connection is tighter)
I find some machine just need a second try - the old original machine at South Mimms always needs two attempts.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,912 Posts
The good thing is their charger reliability will shoot to 100%... Through lack of misuse.

·
Registered
852 Posts
How do you holster the 2nd gen chademo pumps?
The ones where you slide it in horizontally are easy
but the ones with a hole that the handle fits in are weird.
wouldn't they leave the connector open to rain?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The video in post 1 needs replacing with the current Ecotricity vid, since it tells you you need a card which AFAIK is now defunct for new (all?) users and replaced by an app.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,581 Posts
The video in post 1 needs replacing with the current Ecotricity vid, since it tells you you need a card which AFAIK is now defunct for new (all?) users and replaced by an app.
There are a few Fast posts that will only work with the RFID card but it looks like these are eventually going to be removed or possibly replaced by Rapids.

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
Yes There are 16 of them around the country.(assuming you refer to AC Medium Chargers?" AC medium

I am currently sat on the one at Membury Eastbound on my way back home. It's currently free with an RFID card which is also free. I was told these would be removed at some point but the replacements will still do type 2 up to 22kWh as I argued that not everyone wants to or will move to rapid. Also we don't all use apps believe it or not - My phone is still 2g!

We will see I guess. Does not matter on my Ampera I only get 3.5KW no matter where I am.

·
Newcomer to EV world
63 Posts
Hi, I am new to EV .
Do I still need a card or Ecotricity app works with all their stations now? Can't find option to order card on their website for some reason...

cheers

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
You can only get a card for the AC Medium ports (16 around the country) I have a card for that - they are 22kWh but free and I don't mind waiting an hour for a decent charge when I am at the services. Here is the link for the page and the form is on there I believe

AC medium.

These are the smaller posts next to some rapids - here is the link to get a card - it's free to anyone not just customers.

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/charge-your-vehicle/ac-medium/registration-form

All the rapid pumps need the app - if you go to Ecotricity as a customer you don't pay the £3 connection charge and you get 52 free charges a year - but often the pumps seem to be on free vend anyway.

I use the free charger - Pod point which is often free totally (and often 22kWh too) - and polar instant if I get stuck.(don't use enough for Polar Plus) I also have a home charger

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
Refresh as I have added some stuff :)

·
Newcomer to EV world
63 Posts
Spike, I see that you've also got Zoe R240 - how long does roughly it take to top up Zoe at their rapid charges from 20-30% to 80% ?

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Spike. Well it's one of the reasons I was going back to them but I won't bother now! Is it not the home rate for Eco customers? or just 30p straight?

·
Registered
772 Posts
You do really need 40 - 45 minutes to do that . I use the 22kW post at Leicester Forest sometimes as it is as fast as the rapid pump (you need to use your own 3-phase cable that comes with the car with the 22kW posts). Once you're down to 20% or so, you'll get a good rate of charge up to 90%, usually 21kW or so. That means you'll take on around 14kWh in about 40 mins, which would get you from 20-80%. Also, I've found 60mph vs 70mph makes a huge difference in terms of how often I need to stop to charge on the motorway. It can be quicker to drive slightly slower but charge less often..

@Pcoventry Ecotricty charge 15p per kWh to Ecotricity customers on the rapids. However, their home electricity cost are so expensive I don't think its worth it unless you rapid charge a lot. I use Bulb (shameless plug for referral link in my signature :whistle:) which is 100% renewable but costs me 11.5p per kWh, which is about 5p per kWh cheaper than EcoT. I'd need to do lots of rapid charges to cover the difference.

·
Newcomer to EV world
63 Posts
You do really need 40 - 45 minutes to do that . I use the 22kW post at Leicester Forest sometimes as it is as fast as the rapid pump (you need to use your own 3-phase cable that comes with the car with the 22kW posts). Once you're down to 20% or so, you'll get a good rate of charge up to 90%, usually 21kW or so. That means you'll take on around 14kWh in about 40 mins, which would get you from 20-80%. Also, I've found 60mph vs 70mph makes a huge difference in terms of how often I need to stop to charge on the motorway. It can be quicker to drive slightly slower but charge less often..

@Pcoventry Ecotricty charge 15p per kWh to Ecotricity customers on the rapids. However, their home electricity cost are so expensive I don't think its worth it unless you rapid charge a lot. I use Bulb (shameless plug for referral link in my signature :whistle:) which is 100% renewable but costs me 11.5p per kWh, which is about 5p per kWh cheaper than EcoT. I'd need to do lots of rapid charges to cover the difference.
Thank you Spike, this is exactly what I wanted to know, much appreciated.

Totally agree for electricity costs, I compared them with my current provider and it is way more expensive, but perhaps, makes a different ve for someone doing rapid charging very often which is not a case for me.

·
Banned
2,147 Posts

Cheers for the info - when my Leaf comes I will get getting a Mekennes lead that can do the 22kWh - I use Outfox the Market and I am on 9.9p per kWh so I agree - Rapid charging would only be a last resort for me and if there is a free charger there even better!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Cheers for the info - when my Leaf comes I will get getting a Mekennes lead that can do the 22kWh - I use Outfox the Market and I am on 9.9p per kWh so I agree - Rapid charging would only be a last resort for me and if there is a free charger there even better!
The maximum charge rate for a new Leaf on a Type 2 cable (Mennekes) is only 7kW - you certainly won't get 22kW (not kWh), and would potentially be blocking someone (like @Spike) who can charge at the faster rate if CHAdeMO is also available at your charge point.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts