Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
I fail to see the connection either! And as Ecotricity have committed to keeping it free for their customers, if they ever do start charging all you have to do is switch to them as your supplier? I moved to them long before I had an EV as they were, and still are cheaper than the major suppliers and the bonus of green energy and their commitment top EV's is just another reason to switch.

·
Banned
558 Posts
I agree - its just a typical incentive that gains headlines and costs the company almost nothing. However, it would be nice if it caused a 'fire-fight' for the custom of EV owners. Let's see if other energy suppliers respond!
As for charging for energy away from home - yes it's enviable.
However, when it does come it will inevitably be a setback for the whole EV initiative. It will certainly dent new car sales figures. For those of us already owning EVs, it will 'clip our wings'. Consciously and unconsciously we will start to minimise our use of 'paid charging'.
My next trip to Scotland will be written up as a sequel to my recent Autocar Article - Highland Charge. Highland Charge(d) is expecedt to have a sub-text that reports that paid charging is the kiss-of-death for long-range BEV operations. Let's see how the numbers compute!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I need to look at the maths to see if its still more economical to stay on economy 7 (already an ecotricity customer)

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
1000 miles in a nissan Leaf at industrial prices would cost them 10-15 quid but it creates the pay as you go structure for rapid charger access IMHO.
In fact the offer isn't for a fixed number of miles. It's actually about a 5% discount on their tariff which they reckon works out about 1,000 miles over a year. So for me it would be 12.64p on their electric car tariff, or 13.35p on their standard tariff.
On a £900 annual electricity bill that would be worth about £45.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Needs careful analysis IMO... the OP uses figures for the Eastern Region (afaik the cheapest region in the UK) and Good Energy are quoting 15.12p day and 8.2p night which might work out cheaper than the 12.86p quoted by Ecotricity :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
So do I, why was it not an option ?

I put it in to charge at night
As do I but the amount of electricity I use in the day is enough that the penalty for daytime usage outweighs any advantage from charging overnight at an Economy 7 off-peak rate.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
As do I but the amount of electricity I use in the day is enough that the penalty for daytime usage outweighs any advantage from charging overnight at an Economy 7 off-peak rate.
Ah ok understand, my solar panels provide most if not all the power I use working at home

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Not so sure, the FIT is a lot less than it was when we installed, doubling the payback period, so do the calculations carefully

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Actually the pay back time is pretty identical, as the installation prices have halved, which has the added benefit of not having to fork out so much money up front.
Agreed, our 7kWp system dropped from £16k to £12k in a year and I beleive it will be cheaper again on its second anniversary in July.

We are currently looking to add extra panels and take the system to 10kWp when we get our second EV :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
slippy slope, this in real terms doesn't cost ecotricity very much and looks like the end of free rapid charging, oh well it was good while it lasted.
I think you are jumping to conclusions there. Everything that Ecotricity has said point to this not being the case.

I have spoken to both Dale Vince personally and to Simon at Ecotricity and they are clear... it will remain free indefinitely and certainly for the foreseeable future.

I suppose that eventually they might consider it necessary to charge a fee to plug in but I suspect that this is years rather than months away and I suspect that if they did then it would still remain free to Ecotricity customers.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
It's probably worth more in publicity than they could make charging to use it..
No doubt this is a marketing exercise today. I think the really interesting question is what happens if the next government decide not to fund this sector in 2015-2020 and what value the marketing has in a potentially hostile EV, pro-H2 market.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts