Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yet again PHEV to blame. I see Ectricity's point that we don't need a rapid at a service station, and they are right but rather than punish the whole EV community to a bogus £6 charge why not work with other companies and get more destination chargers in place at service stations. Don't implement an infrastructure for selected cars.

I'd happily sit on a 7kW charger for my rest stop knowing I am getting a little charge and not "clogging" up a rapid even if it is still for 3-6 miles of battery. Every little helps we are told.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Interesting that, according to the website you can still become an Ecotricity customer and qualify for your (52) free EH charges if you own an Outlander though...

Reactions: John Riley

·
Registered
117 Posts
Interesting that, according to the website you can still become an Ecotricity customer and qualify for your (52) free EH charges if you own an Outlander though...
52/ year ? Thats once a week and only one way up what about return journey? That brings to 25 a year and ecotricity is at least £ 400 more than my current suppiler. So £ 400 + £ 300 for the rest 25 weeks if you are doing one long weekend journey per week

·
Leaf lover
4,728 Posts
The exciting thing about the Outlander when first introduced was its perceived potential.
It would be nice had Mitsubishi's comments been conciliatory and said something like 'they should have in hindsight had a bigger battery pack or future generations of the vehicle will have'.
I remain hopeful Mitsubishi will build on the success of the Outlander and bring to market a Superphev which would then been seen as a asset rather than a hindrance to the EH

·
Registered
117 Posts
The exciting thing about the Outlander when first introduced was its perceived potential.
It would be nice had Mitsubishi's comments been conciliatory and said something like 'they should have in hindsight had a bigger battery pack or future generations of the vehicle will have'.
I remain hopeful Mitsubishi will build on the success of the Outlander and bring to market a Superphev which would then been seen as a asset rather than a hindrance to the EH
I have seen lot of gripes on about PHEV on this website . When I went to buy Mitsu the salesman mention ecotricity only once in my multiple research visits. At least I , bought the car on the basis that I can do my daily commute after an overnight charge. There was no thought of using EH very frequently and I suppose that is the case with most owners. However I used EH only 7 times from april and all the EH on M62 was free never a que .Even when I found a car charging it has been a Leaf. So this problem of PHEV hogging EH must be a problem in the south.
I am doing daily 28 miles return in one home charge in this warm weather. So even if I consume some petrol over weekend long stint it is saving lot of money.
Weight is an issue ,with battery adding for another 10 miles would be nice but dont know how much weight will go up. And when ICE fires milage will go down

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I have seen lot of gripes on about PHEV on this website . When I went to buy Mitsu the salesman mention ecotricity only once in my multiple research visits. At least I , bought the car on the basis that I can do my daily commute after an overnight charge. There was no thought of using EH very frequently and I suppose that is the case with most owners. However I used EH only 7 times from april and all the EH on M62 was free never a que .Even when I found a car charging it has been a Leaf. So this problem of PHEV hogging EH must be a problem in the south.
I am doing daily 28 miles return in one home charge in this warm weather. So even if I consume some petrol over weekend long stint it is saving lot of money.
Weight is an issue ,with battery adding for another 10 miles would be nice but dont know how much weight will go up. And when ICE fires milage will go down
On a recent trip I spent some time at main services on the M1 and M6. I was stopped for an hour at one of them, didn;t see a single Ev at all in all that time. From what you read I was expecting to see huge queues and loads of Outlanders. The only 'problem' i saw was a taxi driver park his ICE in one of the bays for 5 mins.

I think this perceived problem with Outlanders only applies to a few specific sites. Makes a nice scapegoat for EcoT to bring in the charges.

·
Registered
117 Posts
On a recent trip I spent some time at main services on the M1 and M6. I was stopped for an hour at one of them, didn;t see a single Ev at all in all that time. From what you read I was expecting to see huge queues and loads of Outlanders. The only 'problem' i saw was a taxi driver park his ICE in one of the bays for 5 mins.

I think this perceived problem with Outlanders only applies to a few specific sites. Makes a nice scapegoat for EcoT to bring in the charges.
Haven't the EV drivers and EcoT shot themselves in the foot?

·
Ecohound
1,098 Posts
A lot of the anti Outlander rhetoric I have read has been about over staying their welcome on the Rapids but this can also apply to BEV's. To me what was likely to be a real problem was Mercedes and BMW who can plug in but only charge at 3kW.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,404 Posts
My only problems with the Outlander are whenever I try to charge at an MSA with two CHADeMO pumps and only a single CCS the Outlanders always seem to be charging from the CHADeMO/CCS Pump so although there is a pump free I can't use it :confused:

Also there is a woman who parks her Outlander in two parking places while she is dropping her kids off at school, are they really that big? It wouldn't be so bad if she parked further up the car park but oh no she has to block the two best spots, when I say best spots the two parking spaces are isolated from the rest of the car park so there is less chance of getting doors dinged etc

·
Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens, Kia Niro PHEV
1,353 Posts
My only problems with the Outlander are whenever I try to charge at an MSA with two CHADeMO pumps and only a single CCS the Outlanders always seem to be charging from the CHADeMO/CCS Pump so although there is a pump free I can't use it :confused:
Swings & roundabouts. If they used the other post then Zoes could not fill up at all. Can you take any charge from an AC charger?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As an Outlander owner, the vehicle comes with a 3pin 240volt charger...but it takes forever to charge unlike the rapid chargers. I think we need some written rules for all EV drivers, the do's and don't of Charging. I am not sure if there is an official version around anywhere?? Personally whenever I charge my car, i am always aware of others that may need it after me. As soon as I have finished charging, then I unhook and move away..

·
10,404 Posts
Swings & roundabouts. If they used the other post then Zoes could not fill up at all. Can you take any charge from an AC charger?
It's not really a big problem and may just be a coincidence that it's always an Outlander when other CHADeMO equipped cars could equally be responsible. Yes I could use the AC Fast charger but it's so slow it would block the charger for hours, the only saving grace is that the Outlander does stop charging at 80% so as long as the cable will reach it's OK.

·
1,353 Posts
It's not really a big problem and may just be a coincidence that it's always an Outlander when other CHADeMO equipped cars could equally be responsible. Yes I could use the AC Fast charger but it's so slow it would block the charger for hours, the only saving grace is that the Outlander does stop charging at 80% so as long as the cable will reach it's OK.
At least the slow charge would allow you (in the past) to splash & dash to get to the next charger, if the AC/DC is blocked, my only option is a flat bed.

·
1,353 Posts
As an Outlander owner, the vehicle comes with a 3pin 240volt charger...but it takes forever to charge unlike the rapid chargers. I think we need some written rules for all EV drivers, the do's and don't of Charging. I am not sure if there is an official version around anywhere?? Personally whenever I charge my car, i am always aware of others that may need it after me. As soon as I have finished charging, then I unhook and move away..
Have you not got any time of socket that can use a type 2 AC 7 or 22kw socket.

·
10,404 Posts
At least the slow charge would allow you (in the past) to splash & dash to get to the next charger, if the AC/DC is blocked, my only option is a flat bed.
Ideally each MSA should have a minimum of two CHADeMO/CCS pumps and a couple of Fast AC posts, this would go a long way towards ensuring that a particular flavour of charger is not available or faulty.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts