Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It gets a few positive mentions on here , but I thought I'd add how pleased I was with this J1772 charge point. Public charging with an Ampera is tricky - this was only the third I've managed since having the car in Jan - so to find it tethered, as quick a charge as the Ampera will ever get , fully working , ready to go was great.
It was particularly satisfying to come out of a project that promotes changing how we live to find the car fully charged and ready to go.
There were a couple of other sockets - not sure what they were though...

·
Registered
5,069 Posts

After a long drive down here is my Volt charging at the Eden project. It's a nice spot in the nearest car park, but they only have the one j1772 cable for two spaces.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
It's a nice spot in the nearest car park, but they only have the one j1772 cable for two spaces.
Unfortunately, they took advice from a local EV 'expert' who told them J1772 was the way to go despite being offered free Type 2 socket Charging Stations for the car park :(

·
Registered
387 Posts
Suits me, and they both have an extremely good reliability record, unlike some other chargers I could mention.

Wouldn't it be nice if every charging station, whatever its designation, also had an uncontrolled 13A socket or Commando available?

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
one thing to make people aware of re. the Eden chargers - they are off-limits if there's a concert on that day. Despite that, looking forward to seeing Elbow and the Pixies there this year :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Here's a 2013 photo of a 'pesky' little Roadster that sneaked into one of two EV parking spots at the Eden Project.

I asked the bloke running the carpark how many EV's actually pull in for a charge and he kinda hinted 'not a lot and he thought it was a waste of money and parking space putting the charger in' !

The EV spaces are right next to a main walkway into the main entrance to show they are supportive of a sustainable future etc, and as a result everyone and their dog takes half a dozen photos and seems very keen to ask the usual questions.

Tesla charging at Eden project.jpg

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
The great thing is that when I turn up with my Volt I can only use 16 amps so I'll be happy with the tethered connector and can leave the new one free for everyone else.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
The great thing is that when I turn up with my Volt I can only use 16 amps so I'll be happy with the tethered connector and can leave the new one free for everyone else.
Correct, but if a ZOE and a i3 turn up one will be unable to charge while the tethered Charging Station sits there refusing to connect... tethered Charging Stations should never be installed in public charging locations :(

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Has anyone been here recently? I am making the trip this weekend.
I was there in May and they still had the type 1 tethered and one untethered. There is also a CPG rapid in one of the outer car parks if you want to pay.

However, I was unable to charge on our first visit this year as someone works got to the untethered point first and as I now have an I3 the tethered one is no good. (I left my cable plugged in to my I3 and a note on their screen saying please plug me in so I did get about 10 minutes charge but had to go via the EH charger at the nearby services to properly fill up).

When I posted about this someone from the suppliers replied and said they were about to install a bunch of new chargers, so if when you visit there's half a dozen untethered please report back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts